Guide: 2016~2021 CX-9 DIY Transfer Case + Rear Differential Fluid Drain and Fill

:
Mazda CX-9 Signature
Items needed:
1) 2 quarts of LONG LIFE HYPOID GEAR OIL - SG1 - Mazda (0000-77-SG1-QT)
2) 23MM shallow socket for fill plug
3) 24MM shallow socket for drain plug
4) 4 pieces of drain plug gasket (9956-41-800)
5) Fluid pump

Please note owner's manual states approx 0.45qt (15oz) for transfer case and approx 0.45qt (15oz) for rear diff. However, do pick up 2qt of oil because rear diff was under-filled quite a bit.
Always crack open the fill plug before draining the fluid. Replace all washers. Torque them 35ft/lb. 1 quart = 32oz

I drained 14oz from rear diff and filled approx 22oz
I drained 16oz from transfer case and filled approx 18oz

Attachments

:
2016 CX-9 Sport AWD
Thanks for writing this guide. It's really helpful to know what you are getting into before starting a job. Do you have to remove much of the under car plastic to get to the transfer case? Most of the underside of the front of the car seems to be covered.

Also, have you investigated doing any transmission fluid maintenance? I don't see a dipstick in the engine compartment, so this vehicle may be one of those where you pump the transmission fluid in via the drain.

I have yet to tackle this, my bathroom renovation took some interesting twists so I'm behind on what I wanted to complete and write up. I would like to add some snapshots from the manual for drain and fill locations for those who will use this guide.

Transfer case Drain bolt location: to get to these locations you need to remove the large undercover.
both torque settings are 30-42 ft/lbs (40-58 Nm)
transfer case drain.jpg

Transfer case fill location:
Trasfer case fill.jpg

Differential drain and fill locations: both torque settings are 30-39 ft/lbs. (40-53 Nm)
rear diff. plug locations.jpg

I plan on replacing both fluids this fall, I have to get done with my remodel project and make room.

sm1ke

Work In Progress..
Contributor
:
Canada
:
'18 CX-9 Signature
I have yet to tackle this, my bathroom renovation took some interesting twists so I'm behind on what I wanted to complete and write up.
I would like to add some snapshots from the manual for drain and fill locations for those who will use this guide.

Transfer case Drain bolt location: to get to these locations you need to remove the large undercover.
both torque settings are 30-42 ft/lbs
View attachment 226672
Transfer case fill location:
View attachment 226673

Differential drain and fill locations: both torque settings are 30-39 ft/lbs.
View attachment 226674

I plan on replacing both fluids this fall, I have to get done with my remodel project and make room.
Thanks for this!!

GoodGuyD

2016 CX-5 GT AWD (Mousse)
Items needed:
1) 2 quarts of LONG LIFE HYPOID GEAR OIL - SG1 - Mazda (0000-77-SG1-QT)
2) 23MM shallow socket for fill plug
3) 24MM shallow socket for drain plug
4) 4 pieces of drain plug gasket (9956-41-800)
5) Fluid pump

Please note owner's manual states approx 0.45qt (15oz) for transfer case and approx 0.45qt (15oz) for rear diff. However, do pick up 2qt of oil because rear diff was under-filled quite a bit.
Always crack open the fill plug before draining the fluid. Replace all washers. Torque them 35ft/lb. 1 quart = 32oz

I drained 14oz from rear diff and filled approx 22oz
I drained 16oz from transfer case and filled approx 18oz
Hey! Thanks for this! Just wondering, it is the same process for the 2016 CX5? Also, I see that you can check the transfer case oil level by putting a finger in, but can you do the same with the rear diff? I understand that I have to put more oil than what Mazda says. Is there such thing as a transfer case and rear diff overfill? My CX5 has 55k KMS on it, but its a 2016, so I was starting to think about that maintenance. Thanks!

Latest posts