2016-18 CX-9 Cargo Capacity vs 2008 Mazda5

:
2017 CX9 GT AWD
With the third row folded down, I see that the cargo capacity of the CX-9 behind the second row is 38.2 cubic feet. I currently have a 2008 Mazda5 and apparently it has 44 cubic feet behind the second row. The Mazda5 has more cargo capacity than the current generation CX-9 behind the second row?

Here are the cargo capacities I found:

CX-9
Behind 3rd row: 14.4
Behind 2nd row: 38.2
Behind 1st row: 71.2

Mazda5
Behind 3rd row: 5.9
Behind 2nd row: 44
Behind 1st row: 70.9

Can someone confirm these numbers to me?

That shouldn't be surprising. The 5 is more minivan which is more space efficient because of being a low to the ground FWD platform.

That shouldn't be surprising. The 5 is more minivan which is more space efficient because of being a low to the ground FWD platform.

True. Just didn't think it would be as much as 6 cubic feet more space in the Mazda5. That is a lot. My Mazda5 wins the cargo capacity contest with the 3rd row seat down. Still like my Mazda5, just not sure I need to get a new CX-9 unless I need to tow something. The CX-9 is much sexier looking, obviously.

Haven't measured but yes the CX9 floor is super high. In my experience its pretty rare that one would need to stack cargo high, so the numbers are kind of misleading unless you commonly utilize that air space up high near the headliner. Floor area is more important IMO.

Packing for moving or for camping, that is about the only times I would want that extra air space that isn't there.

Haven't measured but yes the CX9 floor is super high. In my experience its pretty rare that one would need to stack cargo high, so the numbers are kind of misleading unless you commonly utilize that air space up high near the headliner. Floor area is more important IMO.

Packing for moving or for camping, that is about the only times I would want that extra air space that isn't there.

It is mainly for when we go camping and with the Mazda5 it was packed to the headliner. I was hoping the CX-9 would at least be the same or a bit higher. But it is 6 cubic feet lower, which really surprised me.

Back