2015 Mazda 6 or 2016 CX-5 ?

:
Miata and CX-5
My wife recently bought a 2016 CX-5. I am considering to buy myself a 2016 CX-5 or a 2015 Mazda 6. Has anybody here driven both ? In particular I am interested in seat comfort for the three 1200 mile road trips I do each year. Any opinions welcome, thanks.
My current car is a bench style seat 2009 Mercury Grand Marquis V8, which after an hour behind the wheel starts to give me some hip and leg pain.

You might want to find a dealer willing to give you an hour behind the wheel. They are out there as I have had dealers in the past allow me to take a car home for the night. This has been with other brands though.

You might want to find a dealer willing to give you an hour behind the wheel. They are out there as I have had dealers in the past allow me to take a car home for the night. This has been with other brands though.

Thank you for your reply.
Is your CX-5 more comfortable for multi hour drives than sedans you have driven ?

From just the seat probably better than some and less comfortable than others. It's not quite as comfortable as my former '02 Maxima GLE seat but more comfortable than my Infiniti G35x seat which is a little too firm IMO.

Thanks. Right now I am thinking if I buy a CUV it will be the Mazda CX-5. And if I buy a sedan it will either be a 2015 Accord V6 or the Mazda 6.
The Accord V6 is closest to what I have been driving, a V8 Chevrolet Caprice for 10 years and a V8 Mercury Grand Marquis for 5 years.
All vehicles are fine for my short city drives. My main criteria for the new car is multiple hour highway cruising comfort. including three 1200 mile road trips per year.

Overall I find the seats pretty comfortable and supportive. The GT has the 8 way power seat... I can't remember offhand if the 16's are the same but Touring has a 6-way power and sport is manual.

Overall I find the seats pretty comfortable and supportive. The GT has the 8 way power seat... I can't remember offhand if the 16's are the same but Touring has a 6-way power and sport is manual.

Recently I have been thinking that a more vertical seat back orientation may be better for my lower back, hips, legs etc.... than I have typically used. All vehicles can adjust towards a vertical seat back, but the CX-5 (or any SUV, CUV) higher seating position may lend itself better to a vertical seat back than a relatively low profile sedan. Maybe I am wrong about that, but it seems like SUV seating is somehow more "chair like" than sports car or sedan seating.
I came to start thinking about this because on the discussion forums I read posts about this or that vehicles head rest. But I have never thought about a head rest because I typically have the seat back reclined so that my head never touches a head rest. "Correct" seat adjustment is probably one where the drivers head does touch the head rest, so maybe I should start doing this.

I think you'll appreciate the comfort of the CX-5 more than the Mazda 6, the 6 does have comfortable seats, however the Mazda 6 does make you sit much lower than most other midsize sedans out on the market, from reading your past replies I believe the 6 will make you feel uncomfortable on a longer trip.

Last edited:
I think you'll appreciate the comfort of the CX-5 more than the Mazda 6, the 6 does have comfortable seats, however the Mazda 6 does make you sit much lower than most other midsize sedans out on the market, from reading your past replies I believe you will the 6 will make you feel uncomfortable on a longer trip.

Yes, I am starting to wonder if I would regret buying any sedan. It seems as though SUV's, Crossover's, CUV's etc... are gaining popularity and replacing traditional cars. Since I have no significant experience driving an SUV-type-vehicle, though, I am not sure exactly why it is they are so popular.

I have 2014 mazda cx 5 and 2015 mazda 6 if I could drive both car same time I love .Differences yes .Recently hurt my knee and I was getting a lot easier in the cx5 .On the way better absorbed mazd6 small bumps than cx5 .for long a long trip i'd taken mazda 6

This past Tuesday I bought a CX-5. The Mazda 3 and Mazda 6 are great cars, but this time around I wanted to try sitting up higher and see how I like that. Thanks guys for all your helpful replies.

Not to sway you away from a Mazda, we have 2, but check out a Volvo before you buy. Best seats ever imho.

Back