2015 CX-9 Wheel paint flaking off

Hello! Do any of you experienced same problem with wheels' paint flaking off? All my wheels look so bad now. Started with wheels getting darker and clear coat paint bubbling and flaking off. I complained to Mazda dealer and Head quarter in California but they did not do anything to correct the issue. Really bad customer service and does not stands to their products.

Bought my 2009 last year and the wheels were horrible. After putting on new tires and finding that two of the wheels leaked pretty bad, I went and got new aftermarket wheels. Problem solved

I called Mazda dealer today and they told me it's only for vehicle under warranty and told me that even if I did complained about that when it was under warranty and Mazda declined to repair they will not do anything even if now I have the TSB. Totally messed up Mazda customer service. I have a 2004 Toyota Sienna and Toyota sent me a Dashboard enhancement bulletin and replaced my cracked dashboard (hairline cracked) for free and even replaced my seat belts! This will be my last Mazda!

thank you dunhillmc for the TSB, I wish Mazda sent it out to all affected customers on time.

Bronco Boy. Just FYI - make sure to replace your water pump, if not yet been replaced, as I've seen a lot of catastrophic failure due to failed water pumps.

Cheers!

I called Mazda dealer today and they told me it's only for vehicle under warranty and told me that even if I did complained about that when it was under warranty and Mazda declined to repair they will not do anything even if now I have the TSB. Totally messed up Mazda customer service. I have a 2004 Toyota Sienna and Toyota sent me a Dashboard enhancement bulletin and replaced my cracked dashboard (hairline cracked) for free and even replaced my seat belts! This will be my last Mazda!

thank you dunhillmc for the TSB, I wish Mazda sent it out to all affected customers on time.

I would email or call Mazda corporate. Sometimes they will do a goodwill warranty extension or cover a portion of the costs

my TB is having this problem, wheel paint is bubbling and cracks eventually. Planning to get them repainted either Gunmetal or dark Bronze color.

I noticed on a couple of my rims (2016 GT) it appears the clearcoat is peeling off, on one wheel in a spot as big as my hand. 😡 Going to have to figure what to do - it's pretty ugly.

I noticed on a couple of my rims (2016 GT) it appears the clearcoat is peeling off, on one wheel in a spot as big as my hand. 😡 Going to have to figure what to do - it's pretty ugly.

I'm not sure if you're out of warranty, but if you are, I'd still contact your local dealership and escalate to Mazda Corporate if the dealer refuses to help. You've got nothing to lose, and sometimes the dealer or Mazda Corp will goodwill the repair (either partially or in full). This was an issue with Mazda6 wheels as well, and some owners were able to get some help even though they were out of warranty.

Wheel repair shops are pretty common. You can call around for quotes - I haven't called around myself, but I would expect quotes from $350 to $800 to repaint all four wheels. Could be less (or more). Personally, I'd use the opportunity to buy aftermarket wheels and sell the old ones on the used market.

Alternatively, you can try DIY. This is a good video to follow.

Some people are a little lazy (like me in my younger days) and are happy sanding the clear down just enough to make the transition less noticeable. I've done it before on my 99 Accord's OEM wheels that had peeling clear coat. I repainted them and it turned out great, lasted me an extra 4 years until I traded it in.

Thanks Sm1ke. I just got the notice of the warranty extension for cracking in the infotainment display, and mine just showed the cracks in the last week so it'll be going to the dealership anyway soon. I understand I have limited "goodwill" as I have my servicing done by a local garage so I don't hold out much hope. But you're right, never hurts to ask.

Hi guys. I also got the first cx-9 batch with same issue. It wasn't bad at first, just dark spots. But since the peeling happen, I decided to paint it. Only one big peel happened. So I decided to seal everything in. One area due to the peel can be found if you really look. But idc

Time spent 8 hours. Prep takes a while. I made sure it was going to be a sunny day.

3 base primer, 3 black, and 3 clear coat. Going back, I think doing 5 clear is best. This would added better protection. Rust-Oleum Automotive Gloss Acrylic Enamel as clear. Black was cheaper Krylon Fusion. Idk if paying for the black enamel would be better. 3 cans each.

It does hold up well, but you need to baby it. No more going to a car wash. Don't use too much water pressure. And get a plastic cover lug wheel nut remover.

Be very careful when placing it back onto the car when you swap next ones to paint. Paint is still very soft. It won't fully cure for a month to maximum hardness and sticky to metal. That night the water sprinkler turn on and was enough to leave some spots... Oh well

Attachments

• SmartSelect_20240204_014939_OneDrive.jpg
    SmartSelect_20240204_014939_OneDrive.jpg
    112.2 KB · Views: 17
  • SmartSelect_20240204_014950_OneDrive.jpg
    SmartSelect_20240204_014950_OneDrive.jpg
    137.2 KB · Views: 15
  • SmartSelect_20240204_015017_OneDrive.jpg
    SmartSelect_20240204_015017_OneDrive.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 17
  • SmartSelect_20240204_015002_OneDrive.jpg
    SmartSelect_20240204_015002_OneDrive.jpg