2015 CX-9 BT Issues, Bluetooth module location?

:
CX-9
My BT connected to all our iPhone's no problem for years. About a month ago while on the phone the BT would switch back / forth to my phone, back to hands free, back to phone, back to hands free. Basically it's unusable to make or receive a BT call.

A few days ago I deleted my phone from the vehicle, went to pair them and now it no longer will pair. It seems the BT has stopped working altogether.

So I searched Google and it seems Mazda had an issue with BT Modules from 2011 to 2016 on several models. I found a used Bluetooth module on eBay and I want to purchase this but I have no idea where the module is located in my vehicle. I've been Googling for hours and the only thing I found was in 2010 location is the passenger, behind the glovebox. Guess I can dig around in this area in hopes of finding it. I know what it looks like and know the Mazda part number.

Does anyone know where the BT module is on a 2015 CX-9? This would save me time.

Solution
I'm going to post the location of this BT module so if anyone else has this issue you can replace it.

I took my entire interior apart to find this thing and pulling my hair out.

Of course, it's in a spot where you don't need any tools to find it. Just pull down the driver knee panel and you'll see it tucked pretty far back there.

To the left of the steering column.

I bought a used one on eBay for $70 shipped. Dealer wanted $436.

Untitled by jpjr50, on Flickr

Untitled by jpjr50, on Flickr...
I'm going to post the location of this BT module so if anyone else has this issue you can replace it.

I took my entire interior apart to find this thing and pulling my hair out.

Of course, it's in a spot where you don't need any tools to find it. Just pull down the driver knee panel and you'll see it tucked pretty far back there.

To the left of the steering column.

I bought a used one on eBay for $70 shipped. Dealer wanted $436.

Upvote 0
Solution
So that silver box is the bluetooth module. Is the location the same on all of the first gen cx-9's. I have the exact same problem. I may have to go online also. Can you let me know if the replacement is working fine.

Upvote 0
So that silver box is the bluetooth module. Is the location the same on all of the first gen cx-9's. I have the exact same problem. I may have to go online also. Can you let me know if the replacement is working fine.
Yes, that box is the BT module. Is it on the first Gen CX-9? I've heard that it was located behind the glove box on these models. I have the air cabin filter behind the airbox on my model. Maybe they moved the BT to the driver's side because of the cabin filter.

Check both locations, very easy to do and no tools. The glove box, take both your hands and pull in the sides and the glovebox door will collapse. You should be able to see it. If not there check the driver's side as you see in my picture above.

I get the replacement tomorrow so I need to put it in and hopefully, I'll have BT again for a long time.

Upvote 0
Well, it works!!!!

Had to take the driver's seat out so I could lay on my back. It's (2) 10MM bolts I actually got with a wrench. I have big hands, my knuckles are busted up but so worth it.

The used $70 BT Module was recognized right away by the OEM head unit. Had other people's names in there of course.

The old Module would take forever to connect to my iPhone, could be miles down the road (3-5 Minutes) before my Spotify would play. Now just backing out of the driveway, maybe 30-45 seconds it connects.

Here is the Module without the bracket. The used one I received had the Mazda 6 bracket so I just swapped in the CX-9 bracket.

Upvote 0
Back