2014 CX5 Tune-Up items to replace?

lol it's RTV, it's not like it suddenly spoils on a particular date. It's fine. I've used Permatex sealant that I've had sitting around in the garage for many years, never been a problem.

lol it's RTV, it's not like it suddenly spoils on a particular date. It's fine. I've used Permatex sealant that I've had sitting around in the garage for many years, never been a problem.
Yes, I agree. That just speaks how long your OEM RTV had been sitting on the shelf at your Mazda dealer. In any events when I’m getting the OEM RTV for my ATF pan, I’d pay some attention to the expiration date making sure the one I get hasn’t been expired yet. ;)

I've never even heard of an expiration date on RTV until you mentioned it on my tube of OEM sealant. None of my Permatex tubes have any dates on them. Neither does the tube of black RTV that came with my Fel-Pro oil pan seals for my Miata.

They are putting an expire date on a lot of things now so people will throw them away and replace them. Actually, I think I may be passed my expire date...

Finally got around to ordering the VVT solenoid valve from partsouq, should have it next week. Hopefully no more oil leaks after that! As far as I know it's currently the only leak the car has.

Finally got around to ordering the VVT solenoid valve from partsouq, should have it next week. Hopefully no more oil leaks after that! As far as I know it's currently the only leak the car has.
So partsouq still has the best price for OEM Oil Control Valve? Did you get OCV from partsouq in United Arab Emirates through eBay or directly from its website? Get it within a week from UAE that has to be an air shipping. I wonder how much shipping you had paid?

Came out to ~$130 shipped. There's another one on eBay from a seller in Japan, for a little less money but more shipping. This one from UAE ends up being a bit less with shipping.

US dealers want $220+ for them!

Came out to ~$130 shipped. There's another one on eBay from a seller in Japan, for a little less money but more shipping. This one from UAE ends up being a bit less with shipping.

US dealers want $220+ for them!
Any updates?

nope, other than I received the part about a week after ordering. Part is still sitting on the work bench.
Does the OCV look like genuine Mazda part? A week is pretty fast shipped from UAE.

Other than the fact that it came in a Mazda parts box (and bag inside) with the usual OEM parts label, I don't really know how to check if it's a genuine part or not.

Other than the fact that it came in a Mazda parts box (and bag inside) with the usual OEM parts label, I don't really know how to check if it's a genuine part or not.
I guess you’ll find out when you replace the leaky OCV and can compare the two side by side.

Alright! Finally got around to swapping the OCV in the head.

20210710_165649654_iOS.jpg

20210710_165700859_iOS.jpg

Comparing the two OCV's side by side, they appear identical in all marking, except the new one has a QR code just like other parts around the engine. Not sure why the old one doesn't have one. Checking it with my phone camera went right to the part number for this part. Old on left and new on right in all pics.

20210710_170250993_iOS.jpg

20210710_170306411_iOS.jpg

20210710_170329207_iOS.jpg

Since the old valve must have been leaking internally through the wire harness pins, the harness clip got oil all up inside it. To avoid contaminating the new OCV, I de-pinned the harness plug and cleaned all parts using brake cleaner, warm water, and also a pipe cleaner (nowadays they're called "fuzzy sticks") :ROFLMAO:

20210710_172652958_iOS.jpg

20210710_172700077_iOS.jpg

20210710_174050132_iOS.jpg

20210710_174056161_iOS.jpg

I also got the valve cover all cleaned up from the oil that had leaked out of the old OCV, and reinstalled it with fresh Mazda sealant at the 4 locations specified in the FSM. Now I have the bolts hand-tight and am waiting an hour before torquing the bolts to final spec.

20210710_184434908_iOS.jpg

Since the old valve must have been leaking internally through the wire harness pins, the harness clip got oil all up inside it. To avoid contaminating the new OCV, I de-pinned the harness plug and cleaned all parts using brake cleaner, warm water, and also a pipe cleaner (nowadays they're called "fuzzy sticks") :ROFLMAO:

View attachment 301043

View attachment 301044

View attachment 301045

View attachment 301046

I also got the valve cover all cleaned up from the oil that had leaked out of the old OCV, and reinstalled it with fresh Mazda sealant at the 4 locations specified in the FSM. Now I have the bolts hand-tight and am waiting an hour before torquing the bolts to final spec.

View attachment 301047
Thanks for the update! So you reused old valve cover gasket and OCV rubber O-ring gasket?

Yes but they’re only 5 months old and still looked in great shape. The valve cover gasket even came off cleanly with no sealant residue on it. I only had to clean the traces of old sealant off the 4 points on the cylinder head, which was very easy with a scraper and a brass brush.

Changed the OCV on Saturday, and the car has been driven several times since then. I just checked and no sign whatsoever of any oil leaks anywhere! 🙌

Back