2014 CX-5 - Possible suspension clunk

:
Mazda CX-5
Hello all!

A few pertinent details -- '14 CX-5 Sport with 6sp MT.

It just rolled over 100k miles. Everything has been pretty rock solid. There has been a clunk on the right front for a little while now after my wife ran over something at speed way back when. This clunk happens when driving over uneven surfaces and making hard rights over bumps, ie. pulling into our driveway. There was no play in the wheel when I had it off the ground, so I ruled out ball joints. I did, however, choose to change out the shocks and struts when KYB finally released their strut assemblies. This actually seemed to exacerbate the clunk, so I ended up replacing the LCA, inner and outer tie rods, and sway bar end link. There was a tear in the LCA bushing that was probably contributing to it, and the outer tie rod had a huge tear in the boot.

Although there are a host of things that are better due to the replacement of said components, including a reduction in the amount of clunking, it still happens from time to time now. I felt the sway bar bushing, and it seems intact. I ordered a Moog bushing anyhow, and it should be here soon. Should that not fix it, what else could it possibly be? The passenger side motor mount looks good, and it doesn't making any noise going in reverse and/or shifting into first. Any thoughts? At a loss here, and this is really annoying.

A couple other things to note: Sometimes it makes the pop/clunk when I'm slowly lifting the vehicle on a jack on the affected side. Also, when my wife is driving and I'm in the passenger seat, I can slightly feel it in the floorboard. I did think that it may possibly be the strut mount as some vehicles have strut mounts that need to be oriented in a specific direction when being bolted onto the chassis. I removed the passenger strut, and there were no arrows on the KYB mounts, so I ruled that out

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Hello all!

A few pertinent details -- '14 CX-5 Sport with 6sp MT.

It just rolled over 100k miles. Everything has been pretty rock solid. There has been a clunk on the right front for a little while now after my wife ran over something at speed way back when. This clunk happens when driving over uneven surfaces and making hard rights over bumps, ie. pulling into our driveway. There was no play in the wheel when I had it off the ground, so I ruled out ball joints. I did, however, choose to change out the shocks and struts when KYB finally released their strut assemblies. This actually seemed to exacerbate the clunk, so I ended up replacing the LCA, inner and outer tie rods, and sway bar end link. There was a tear in the LCA bushing that was probably contributing to it, and the outer tie rod had a huge tear in the boot.

Although there are a host of things that are better due to the replacement of said components, including a reduction in the amount of clunking, it still happens from time to time now. I felt the sway bar bushing, and it seems intact. I ordered a Moog bushing anyhow, and it should be here soon. Should that not fix it, what else could it possibly be? The passenger side motor mount looks good, and it doesn't making any noise going in reverse and/or shifting into first. Any thoughts? At a loss here, and this is really annoying.

A couple other things to note: Sometimes it makes the pop/clunk when I'm slowly lifting the vehicle on a jack on the affected side. Also, when my wife is driving and I'm in the passenger seat, I can slightly feel it in the floorboard. I did think that it may possibly be the strut mount as some vehicles have strut mounts that need to be oriented in a specific direction when being bolted onto the chassis. I removed the passenger strut, and there were no arrows on the KYB mounts, so I ruled that out

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
There’re a couple of TSBs on LCA bushings for up to 2015 CX-5. Did you replaced anything on the driver side front suspension?

There’re a couple of TSBs on LCA bushings for up to 2015 CX-5. Did you replaced anything on the driver side front suspension?
I didn't, but there is no sound coming from that side. I probably will very soon just to do so, and I probably should've just pulled the trigger on all the components all at once. But, hindsight is always 20/20. The popping/clunk also happens when I jack up the passenger side, but does not do so with the driver's side.

I didn't, but there is no sound coming from that side. I probably will very soon just to do so, and I probably should've just pulled the trigger on all the components all at once. But, hindsight is always 20/20. The popping/clunk also happens when I jack up the passenger side, but does not do so with the driver's side.
Yeah the anti-sway bar bushings (both sides) would be my next guess. I assume you did replace the front struts on both sides too. Sometimes some rubber pads for springs and struts are also get aged and need to be replaced. I always try to replace the suspension components on both sides of same axle at the same time, like brakes, tires and struts.

Could it be loose cowl bolts making the clunking sound?

I had a clunk since i bought it used. I saw a post somewhere about loose cowl screws/bolts. I suspected mine were loose and I was able to tighten them, no more clunk when making off camber turns for me after that.

Yeah the anti-sway bar bushings (both sides) would be my next guess. I assume you did replace the front struts on both sides too. Sometimes some rubber pads for springs and struts are also get aged and need to be replaced. I always try to replace the suspension components on both sides of same axle at the same time, like brakes, tires and struts.

I did replace both struts at the same time. Replacing the sway bar bushings today. I'm curious if it could be a motor mount. Upon visual inspection, the large one on the passenger side looks like it's intact. I'll need to read about the other ones to see if they are also susceptible to wear.

Could it be loose cowl bolts making the clunking sound?

I had a clunk since i bought it used. I saw a post somewhere about loose cowl screws/bolts. I suspected mine were loose and I was able to tighten them, no more clunk when making off camber turns for me after that.

I can check for this as well, but I can feel the pop through the floorboard. I think that might rule out the cowl.

I did replace both struts at the same time. Replacing the sway bar bushings today. I'm curious if it could be a motor mount. Upon visual inspection, the large one on the passenger side looks like it's intact. I'll need to read about the other ones to see if they are also susceptible to wear.

I can check for this as well, but I can feel the pop through the floorboard. I think that might rule out the cowl.
If you can feel a clunk from floorboard, it’s likely the failed engine mounts or transmission mounts which makes engine swayed too much hitting something. You can check the engine sway by looking at it with someone else accelerating the gas on drive seat,

If you can feel a clunk from floorboard, it’s likely the failed engine mounts or transmission mounts which makes engine swayed too much hitting something. You can check the engine sway by looking at it with someone else accelerating the gas on drive seat,

You mean seeing if the engine shifts under throttle? Checking for clarity.

I just found that thread about the loose cowl bolts. Wow. Definitely trying that, too. Looks like that member chased the problem all around. Although I've replaced the suspension and many steering components (which I would've at my mileage anyhow), this couldn't hurt to check either.

You mean seeing if the engine shifts under throttle? Checking for clarity.

I just found that thread about the loose cowl bolts. Wow. Definitely trying that, too. Looks like that member chased the problem all around. Although I've replaced the suspension and many steering components (which I would've at my mileage anyhow), this couldn't hurt to check either.
Yes the engine and transaxle will sway or shift in larger degree while you’re accelerating the engine. But without load it may not hit something. Loose cowl bolts on strut tower should be checked too and there’s a TSB for it.

Back