2014 CX-5 maintenance light issue

I bought it used in 2019 at 36k miles, coming from a 2007 Volvo XC90. I have the grand touring trim line and my maintenance reminder light has never triggered and gone off. First time I went 2.5k over the ‘scheduled’ interval, second time it was almost 4K over.

Apparently there are 2 instrument clusters on the 14’s and I have the ‘type b’ cluster...Owner’s manual does not show that I even have a maintenance light on my dashboard...I can’t seem to speak to the dealership I’ve been taking it to to get answers and have them actually know wtf they are talking about. Just the salesmen trying to upsell anything to individuals without mechanical backgrounds.

Can someone shed some light on this for me? Thanks.

I have the same vehicle - 2014 GT. I however have the Type A instrument cluster. I just looked in my owners manual which is very good at saying when something applies to the Type A cluster or the Type B cluster. There are a number of pages devoted to the maintenance reminder function/settings for the Type A cluster, but there is zero information for that function with a Type B cluster. Since each topic that has different info for each cluster type shows the info one right after the other in the manual, the absence of any info for a maintenance function for a Type B cluster tells me that the function does not exist on the Type B cluster. I hope I explained this well enough for you.

To turn it on yourself I think you access your infotainment screen since you mentioned you bought a 2019 model.

No, she has a 2014 model she bought in 2019. It has the Type B instrument cluster which does not have any option for setting a maintenance reminder.

I have the same vehicle - 2014 GT. I however have the Type A instrument cluster. I just looked in my owners manual which is very good at saying when something applies to the Type A cluster or the Type B cluster. There are a number of pages devoted to the maintenance reminder function/settings for the Type A cluster, but there is zero information for that function with a Type B cluster. Since each topic that has different info for each cluster type shows the info one right after the other in the manual, the absence of any info for a maintenance function for a Type B cluster tells me that the function does not exist on the Type B cluster. I hope I explained this well enough for you.
I had an appointment with the service manager at my local dealer and I walked them out to my car,
I had an appointment at the dealership with the service manager, over the phone she was like ‘ I will personally show you how to reset the light and show you we did do that’ I show them my info options and it only toggles through 4 categories ‘ range, avg mpg, avg mph, current mpg’ her and the tech were dumbfounded and took it back to get the brain hooked up. I’m already in the mindset of I know it doesn’t exist on my car, they on the other hand were assuring me left and right that there is the maintenance reminder on my car and they for sure reset it both times I’ve taken my car there.

Service manager is apologizing to me because I had to get upset at them serval times in the year I’ve been taken it there because I’ve always complained about the light and the service advisor(s) 3 of them, that I’ve talked to had no mechanical background and never thought there’s a deeper issue and to diagnose it. When I had to bring it up, again to a twit, he said ‘oh we’re going to charge you for shop time’
Manager confirmed it does not exist in my car, and yeah I was lied to by the technician and advisors each time. I know now to watch my miles closely and already made the decision to switch dealerships for my services.

I always write down oil changes, etc, in the back of the manual.
I think mine has a "wrench" light but it is hard to verify because the dash lights only light for a second when I push the button once. They all disappear when the car is running.
The manual shows where they all are but the depiction isn't all that great.

I bought it used in 2019 at 36k miles, coming from a 2007 Volvo XC90. I have the grand touring trim line and my maintenance reminder light has never triggered and gone off.

Apparently there are 2 instrument clusters on the 14’s and I have the ‘type b’ cluster...Owner’s manual does not show that I even have a maintenance light on my dashboard...
If you have a 2014 CX-5 Grand Touring which is the highest trim level at the time, it should have Type A instrument cluster which features maintenance reminder. Somehow you may have been lied to by the seller who told you your CX-5 is a GT, but in fact your CX-5 is a lower trim Touring or even a basic Sport.

I had an appointment with the service manager at my local dealer and I walked them out to my car,

I had an appointment at the dealership with the service manager, over the phone she was like ‘ I will personally show you how to reset the light and show you we did do that’ I show them my info options and it only toggles through 4 categories ‘ range, avg mpg, avg mph, current mpg’ her and the tech were dumbfounded and took it back to get the brain hooked up. I’m already in the mindset of I know it doesn’t exist on my car, they on the other hand were assuring me left and right that there is the maintenance reminder on my car and they for sure reset it both times I’ve taken my car there.

Service manager is apologizing to me because I had to get upset at them serval times in the year I’ve been taken it there because I’ve always complained about the light and the service advisor(s) 3 of them, that I’ve talked to had no mechanical background and never thought there’s a deeper issue and to diagnose it. When I had to bring it up, again to a twit, he said ‘oh we’re going to charge you for shop time’
Manager confirmed it does not exist in my car, and yeah I was lied to by the technician and advisors each time.
Yeah some dealers are incompetent and unfortunately yours is one of them.

I know now to watch my miles closely and already made the decision to switch dealerships for my services.
Most dealers will put a small reminder sticker with date and miles due for your next service on the driver side windshield. The dealer can text you or call you to schedule an appointment when the next service date is getting closer.

Most dealers will put a small reminder sticker with date and miles due for your next service on the driver side windshield. The dealer can text you or call you to schedule an appointment when the next service date is getting closer.

If your dealer or independent service shop is NOT putting a windshield sticker on for you (odd).. then don't fret you can pick a style you like: https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)

Also I am guessing you carry a smart phone.. the day of service set a 30/45 day reminder event to check mileage against starting mileage. You can then have the event re-occurring to keep reminding you to check the mileage. Not a hard problem to solve really, just odd that a modern automobile manufacture would not put such a simple function in a vehicle.

What size are the tires on your CX-5? GT came with 225/55/R19. Do you have leather seats? Are they 8-way adjustable? 8-way adjustable seats in leather were only on the GT in 2014. yrwei52 might be correct that you don't have a GT.

Back