2014 CX-5 98,700 miles Now Whines

:
2014 CX-5 Tour FWD
Hi, I am trying to figure out what part of the drive train in my 2014 CX-5 is making a whining noise.
I was finishing a trip from Florida (Port Canaveral) to Raleigh North Carolina last month, and towards the end of the trip I started to hear a whining noise, I got out and checked for leaks etc. but could not find anything obvious, all fluids that I could check seemed good. When driving slow(under 10 mph) you can not really hear it but faster than that you can. If I coast with it in Neutral the noise is still there. I have looked at CV Joints etc and everything looks normal. So even though they say its a lifetime AT, I went ahead and dropped the pan and looked at the fluid and the magnet... I would say the fluid should have been changed a long time ago, it was only slightly low :-( but the magnet had some stuff, I can't say if it was acceptable or not but it did not seem over the top. The gears shift fine (before and after the filter/new fluid) so I took it to AAMCO and they said that noise is coming from the transmission and they offered to put in a used one ($3,600 -with 66K miles), a refurbished one($5,400), and a new one for something like $10,000 (I don't remember this one well because it seemed unlikely that I would do that). So I did some research and it seems like this kind of noise is usually associated with the torque converter... but I can't find anyone that "works on transmissions" around here, everyone (2 other shops) wants to just put a different transmission in. Am I crazy thinking that its the torque converter and that it looks like it could be serviced?

Are you sure it's not tire noise? In my opinion, if the transmission shifts fine and the fluid did not smell burnt then you don't need a new transmission.

Firstly, that's a fat rip off. A used transmission is like $500-600 from LKQ. Labour should be around 1k. + a couple hundred for fluids (trans,transfer if AWD,coolant). Can't "service the converter without removing the trans, which in labour alone would not be worth it. Might as well replace it if it is indeed a problem. Could simply just be worn to a certain point there is a harmonic now. Or like someone else said tire wear. I wouldn't drop 1.5-2k on something unless it is a real problem.

If you have AWD the pinion bearing in the rear differential can make a whining sound.Really it could be a variety of things and can't easily be diagnosed over the internet.I'm "shocked " that a tranny shop would say it's a tranny problem and offer an expensive fix.Get a few opinions from an honest independent garage.There is a TSB relative to a problem with earlier Gen1 cx-5's transmissions.Something about bearing failure due to bad machining in tranny housing.

Thanks folks, It is FWD... I am sure that the tires are not making the noise, I am not asking to get it diagnosed over the Internet... I did provide some background details just for context. Mostly I was looking for confirmation that it seemed odd... that nobody I talked to (granted I only talked to 3 places that specialize in transmissions) that all they were willing to do was replace it. I lack recent experience with transmission problems, because the last problem I has was with a 1973 Chevy Cheyenne with something I think was called a Turbo Hydra-Matic... with a little over 200,000 miles, back in the late 80's. Things have changed a lot, back then transmission shops were giving quotes on how they could fix the transmission. I will check around with some people I know in the independent garage business. I appreciate the TSB reference, I will see if I can find more info on that. Who knows, if they are all singing the same tune... thousands of dollars, there is an LKQ about 3 miles from my house... I just need to find the right YouTube video ;-)

In 2015 there was a TSB that indicated some transmissions that had a high pitched whine was a transmission bearing caused by a bearing carrier off center or something. It was covered under warranty at that time. I suspect that may be your problem. To dismantle a modern AT on the bench is time consuming and not feasible with modern shop prices. If you could find an independent shop with a skilled person who would be willing? Your other option is a used unit. Why not contact MAZDA corporate and chat with them.

Thanks folks, It is FWD... I am sure that the tires are not making the noise, I am not asking to get it diagnosed over the Internet... I did provide some background details just for context. Mostly I was looking for confirmation that it seemed odd... that nobody I talked to (granted I only talked to 3 places that specialize in transmissions) that all they were willing to do was replace it. I lack recent experience with transmission problems, because the last problem I has was with a 1973 Chevy Cheyenne with something I think was called a Turbo Hydra-Matic... with a little over 200,000 miles, back in the late 80's. Things have changed a lot, back then transmission shops were giving quotes on how they could fix the transmission. I will check around with some people I know in the independent garage business. I appreciate the TSB reference, I will see if I can find more info on that. Who knows, if they are all singing the same tune... thousands of dollars, there is an LKQ about 3 miles from my house... I just need to find the right YouTube video ;-)
My guess of your transmission whining is the transmission input shaft bearing based on this TSB:

Whining Noise From Automatic Transaxle 2012-2014 Mazda

Whining Noise From Automatic Transaxle 2012-2014 Mazda
oemdtc February 27, 2016 Repair Tips

APPLICABLE MODEL(S)/VINS
2013-2014 CX-5 (SKYACTIV A/T) with VINS lower than JM3KE2BE3E0415164 (produced before November 11, 2013)

Whining noise from the automatic transaxle when driving at 10 mph and above.

The noise:
Depends on the vehicles speed only (the more speed, the more noise)
Occurs with all types of driving (acceleration, deceleration, steady speed)
Does not depend on rpm, gear, or ATF temperature

This is caused by a damaged bearing in the transaxle due to improper configuration of the transaxle case.

A modification has now been implemented on automatic transaxles with the serial number 3TR1111680 and higher or 3TD1104906 and higher.

The serial number can be found on top of the transaxle case near the manual shaft lever.

serial number can be found on top of the transaxle case near the manual shaft lever

The following table shows how to decifer the serial number. Example 3TR1111680 is Nov 2013 production.

The fix of transmission problem nowadays is simply replace the whole unit. Even the Mazda dealer will do the same based on the conversation with a Master Tech. And the “new” transmissions Mazda dealers getting for warranty service mostly are remanufactured unit.

At 98,700 miles, I’d take Chris_Top_Her’s advice to get a used transmission for minimum cost if I were you. Or you can live with the noise and get rid of it whenever you can. It you decide to get a used transmission, try to find a newer version (2015 MY and up, Chris_Top_Her did this way) which has modified transaxle case.

The other suggestion is to contact Mazda North American Operations and mention this TSB. Hopefully they may offer some help.

Back