2013 CX-5 GT Dead and won't jump

:
2013 GrT CX-5
Greetings,

So far everything has been great with the car. We live in 30ish degree weather (just under freezing) and left the car undriven for about 8 days. Went to start it and it was dead. Got the jumper cables out and waited a while, still won't start. I'm worried that if the battery is dead, and we replace it, there may be something else which caused the issue and will kill the new battery as well. I've also never had a car not start from a jump start. It clicks once and chugs a bit, but never actually catches. Thoughts?

IF the battery was completely dead it may run rough for a while until it charges up. The car is relying 100% on the alternator. I would first charge the battery up completely - assuming it will take a charge and then if it's the culprit get it replaced right away.

If you take it to Autozone etc,.. they can load test and put in a battery and hook up a code reader to see if it's something else. On our 2016 the battery died at 3 years old.

⋯ I've also never had a car not start from a jump start. It clicks once and chugs a bit, but never actually catches. Thoughts?
Did you connect your jumper cable in proper sequence? Did you connect the jumper cable to the ground point away from the dead battery for sequence #4 in step #4? And did you check the jumper cable which is in good condition and rated 8 gauge or thicker for higher current? Can you tell how old the battery is?

You can take the battery to AutoZone or other auto parts store to test the condition of the battery mentioned above. If everything tested fine then you can start to suspect the starter problem which would look like the symptom when you did the jump-start but this should be rare.

Most likely you need a new battery. Go get a Group 35 Interstate battery for $79 at Costco.
4C5BE5FD-4B98-4D0D-8EA0-755B5D947FB0.jpeg

Same thing happened to me with cx9 a few weeks ago. the battery was dead. even it was less than 2 years. I returned to homedepot for full refund. i installed old battery I guess factory installed panasonic. it is fine but was cranking hard. alternator works fine. I bought another battery with 750CCA. it is very smooth starting right now and no issue.

.... I've also never had a car not start from a jump start. It clicks once and chugs a bit, but never actually catches. Thoughts?
It sounds to me that you're saying the engine turns over (cranks) with the jumper cables attached. However, I'm not looking over your shoulder and perhaps the word 'chugs' means something else to you.

If the engine does turn over with the cables attached, then your vehicle may have 2 problems - a dead battery and something else that's preventing it from starting up. All just speculation without further information from you.

We're going to try a new battery first, but it looks dang near brand new from when we bought it two weeks ago. And, it has been driving fine up until we left it for the 8-9 days undriven (but that shouldn't kill the battery...?)

I will say, when I tried jumping the battery, I connected the cables, which are in good working order, in the correct steps. However, I connected the negative to the cx-5 negative terminal, not the ground spot indicated in the drawing. Should that really make a substantial enough difference?

We're going to try a new battery first, but it looks dang near brand new from when we bought it two weeks ago. And, it has been driving fine up until we left it for the 8-9 days undriven (but that shouldn't kill the battery...?)

I will say, when I tried jumping the battery, I connected the cables, which are in good working order, in the correct steps. However, I connected the negative to the cx-5 negative terminal, not the ground spot indicated in the drawing. Should that really make a substantial enough difference?
After the car wouldn't start and I disconnected the jumper cables, the key fob still wouldn't lock or unlock the car, but then this started happening...

Charged the battery and it is up and running again. I am still confused why it wouldn't start from a jump, but it seems to be working fine. I have a trickle charger that we'll be putting on it for extended periods of time when we don't plan to drive it. Otherwise, I guess/hope it was just sitting in the cold for 10-ish days that killed it. If anything else develops, I will update. Thanks to everyone who replied 👍

Make certain the cables are tight. One time had a problem starting my car but the battery was strong. It turned out the ground was not tight on the terminal. I tired to jump it but, but like you, it would not start since the ground was loose.

Make certain the cables are tight. One time had a problem starting my car but the battery was strong. It turned out the ground was not tight on the terminal. I tired to jump it but, but like you, it would not start since the ground was loose.
Yes, those things happen. The reason why the jump-start instruction wants you to connect ground point instead of negative terminal directly on dead battery mainly is for safety reason preventing possible explosion due to the sparks close to the battery vent although this kind of incident seemed to never happen. The other reason is to prevent any possible bad connections on negative terminal of the dead battery.

I believe OP's incident of not been able to jump start the vehicle is some bad connections on either of the 2 terminals on battery posts. In addition, a good battery should have no problem to start the car with a month of no charging. Several times I can start my 2000 BMW 528i, which is rarely been driven, for 2 ~ 3 months without driving it, and without charging the battery.

First time I attempted to jump start CX-5 it wouldn't do so.......I then placed the negative jumper cable to the passenger side on an unpainted metal block and it jump started right away.

Welp, after driving the car around for the last day or so, and having it serviced by the dealership professionally (fixing the backup camera) we drove it home and parked it and made sure nothing was on and now this morning it is dead again. Looks like it's time to start looking for a parasitic drain. 😥

Battery looks brand new -- I'm concerned the dealership put a new battery in because of this issue instead of Dxg the actual problem. Now CEL:p2101 is throwing which seems totally arbitrary, especially because I have no idle or acceleration issues.

Electrical gremlins are the worst and I'm afraid that's what we inhereted when we bought this otherwise awesome car.

Could just be a faulty battery that won't hold a charge. You can take it to Autozone to load test it for you to find out if is faulty. Sometimes a cell will go bad in them even in newer batteries.

Greetings,

So far everything has been great with the car. We live in 30ish degree weather (just under freezing) and left the car undriven for about 8 days. Went to start it and it was dead. Got the jumper cables out and waited a while, still won't start. I'm worried that if the battery is dead, and we replace it, there may be something else which caused the issue and will kill the new battery as well. I've also never had a car not start from a jump start. It clicks once and chugs a bit, but never actually catches. Thoughts?
If you live in sub-freezing weather, an engine block heater may help. Unless you park outdoors and not close to an electric outlet.

Yep, we get into single digits. Just got a Noco Genius 10 and it does the job, for sure. This car is for my partner and I don't want her to have to deal with putting on and taking off the charger all the time. I may try a stealth install I've seen routing a plugin to the back bumper if need be.

Battery looks brand new ....

That just simply doesn't help you diagnose the problem. The looks of it doesn't matter a bit. It could be brand spankin' new and have a cracked/shorted plate. It could be 10 years old and worn out, but clean as a whistle on the outside from an engine bay detailing. About the only things you can tell just by looking at the battery is physical ...such as damage (cracked housing, missing caps, etc) low water level and problems with posts / connections.

... I'm concerned the dealership put a new battery in because of this issue instead of Dxg the actual problem...

I'm assuming you mean you think the dealership you bought the car from put a new battery in to conceal an electrical problem, not the dealership you just took it to for professional service.

.... having it serviced by the dealership professionally...

Did you happen to tell the dealership about the starting issue? Did they test the battery?

Do yourself a favor, before you get wrapped up in worrying about other electrical problems with a new-to-you car, just get the battery load tested at an auto parts store. Then you'll have some useful data to make decisions about what needs to be done.

Modern vehicles rely on battery power for the fuel injection to work properly, and about 1000 other censors to do their job at startup. I’ve had brand new batteries that turned out to be bad and caused all kinds of weird, false, codes to pop. I’ve had 5 year batteries go 2 years. I’ve had 3 year batteries go 7 years. It seems you never know these days.

I see this story all the time with people with newer motorcycles that have a battery that looks good, or “should be good” because it’s only x-years old. Strange things Start to happen, and it turns out to be the battery.

The moral of that story is, as has been said already, get that battery load tested at a reliable parts store. If it isn’t good, get a new battery, charge it fully with a good modern charger, install it, and see where you are then. Weak batteries cause weird things to happen on modern vehicles all the time.

oh, and you shouldn’t have any problem starting the car in single digit weather given the right CCA. We get far below zero here every winter. I do use an oil pan heater, but these newer cars, or even older carbureted cars, start fine with a good battery.

Haha okay got it y'all -- I appreciate the tough love. I'm a bit new to fixing/maintaining cars so thank you for giving it to me straight.

I'll go get the battery load tested right now and report back. Thanks for all the responses and help!

Back