2013 CX-5 Sport Model - Dash Speaker Question

doodoopuss

:
2013 Mazda CX-5 Sport 6-Speed Manual
I have done a bit of searching but wanted to see if there is any updated information regarding this procedure.

I have the bare bones, stock, non-bose setup and I was looking to add the dash speakers into the mix to see how much of an improvement I get as this stock setup sounds like absolute garbage.

Firstly, has anyone found an adapter to work with the newly installed speaker? I remember reading through some older posts and people couldn't find any then, and were having to splice the wires - wondering if that has changed at all?

Secondly, is there a 3.5" speaker that won't break the bank, still sounds great, and fits in the dash opening without any modification at all?

Lastly, is there any issue with adding JUST the new dash speakers and nothing else - will it play nice with the rest of the stock setup and still sound good?

I don't mind replacing all the door speakers, but I hate popping off door panels because inevitably you end up breaking some of those push pin deals.

Thanks!

013 CX-5 Sport Model - Dash Speaker Question

For dash speaker upgrade on 2013 CX-5 Sport, check this discussion on Sport/Touring:

2016 sport speaker upgrade

Polk Audio DB351 3.5" coaxial speakers are used most often but theyre been discontinued.

This thread also has plenty of info for dash speakers and connectors although its mainly for Bose:

2016 CX5 Audio upgrade thread

Here is an excellent write up by RG_Flyer who installed an aftermarket infotainment system into his 2016 CX-5 Sport. In addition to BlueTooth connection and color touch screen, I believe RG_Flyer also figured out a way to make steering wheel audio controls work with the system! (cool)

Finally! The correct parts for the 2016 CX-5 Sport:

For dash speaker upgrade on 2013 CX-5 Sport, check this discussion on Sport/Touring:

2016 sport speaker upgrade

Polk Audio DB351 3.5" coaxial speakers are used most often but theyre been discontinued.

This thread also has plenty of info for dash speakers and connectors although its mainly for Bose:

2016 CX5 Audio upgrade thread

Here is an excellent write up by RG_Flyer who installed an aftermarket infotainment system into his 2016 CX-5 Sport. In addition to BlueTooth connection and color touch screen, I believe RG_Flyer also figured out a way to make steering wheel audio controls work with the system! (cool)

Finally! The correct parts for the 2016 CX-5 Sport:

Doesn't look like anyone has found an adapter that actually works....

Doesn't look like anyone has found an adapter that actually works....
Dash speaker connector on non-Bose is different from Bose. The best adapter I've seen is using PC fan connector. Some venders may have such speaker adapter available now but due to the low volume sold in the US on 1st-gen CX-5 Sport/Touring, this's unlikely. For a 6-year-old vehicle most people would just cut OEM speaker connector and solder standard speaker connector to it. You can always google or search eBay and AliExpress and see if there's anything available.

I upgraded to the Polk Audio DB351 in our car and I ended up cutting the standard cables. I had bought a cheap adapter, which I knew didn't fit, and just cut off the actual adapter portion and used the rest. I then spliced that wire, along with the included bass blockers, into the cars wiring and I was good to go.

If you don't mind cutting the standard connector, then I'm sure you splice in something like the below if you want to use bass blockers. If you do, then once you splice into the car's wiring, it's simply plug and play with any aftermarket speaker you choose.

https://www.crutchfield.com/shopsearch/bass_blocker.html

Thanks, Boxster17 for that information. I found some Polk Audio DB351s on Amazon for sale, seems like the gold standard for this mod. Are there any other 3.5" speakers that will fit that don't require you to mash them down into the gap to make them fit?

I am not against doing so if that is what it takes, but it would be awesome to find some that maybe fit without needing to push them down super hard.

Also, I usually splice wires together with wire butts, any objections to doing that in this application or is that still an okay method?

Cheers

Additional notes:

I chatted with a tech from Crutchfield and he mentioned that the stock speaker size that comes in the dash has a depth of 1.5", and the opening hole in the dash for the speaker is 2.308". There are some other speakers that meet the 3.5" size and 1.5" depth requirements, but the magnet size is what comes into play (fitting into the 2.308" gap).

I am looking at these (which would be perfect except the magnet diameter is apparently too beefy): Infinity Reference REF-3022cfx https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)

The Crutchfield tech said I would need to enlarge the opening in the dash to make these fit... any thoughts on making the dash hole wider?

Crutchfield is very conservative on their fitment specs. I'm sure if you search this forum you will find folks who have used them without issue. After reading everything here and trying kicker and polks I am 100 percent sold on the polks especially for a dash location and especially if you are running a Bose amp. For a Sport I might try one of these https://www.crutchfield.com/p_530ST410KD/Soundstream-Stealth-ST4-1000D.html?tp=72998 . That's just me YMMV.
Polks are $43.87 on Amazon with free shipping. I have 3 in my dash. I think Crutchfield said they don't fit. No clue why. I have no issues.

Last edited:
I just had a thought. If you have stock speakers you are replacing, Why not canabalize the connector of of them and use to connect to the new speakers?

So I am finally attempting to do this dash speaker install. Does anyone know which of the two colored wires that are in the car's dash is positive?

There are two wires that are present - one blue and one green and I need to know which to connect to the negative terminal and which to connect to the positive terminal.

Thanks!

I found this on the metra website. If nobody else know, you can check what color they are at the speaker. This harness tells what they are. hopefully they don't change colors from the dash.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-05-12 at 11.24.01 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-05-12 at 11.24.01 AM.png
    28.1 KB · Views: 238
I installed the speakers today and man oh man... everyone said it was pretty easy, but my giant hands really had a hard time getting those wires in the dash to cooperate. There isn't much slack on those dash wires, and it made for crimping them with wire butts really difficult, so much so that I had to switch to wire nuts on the driver's side speaker. Maybe everyone else had a better, low-profile crimper or something but I found the whole process pretty frustrating. But overall, it was worth it and I notice a stark improvement in vocal loudness with these additional speakers.

Pioneer TS-A878 3 1/2 Inch 2-Way... https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)

I finally got around to installing dash speakers in my 2013 Cx-5 Sport using the Pioneers I linked to above (car was prewired but no speakers installed from factory). Huge difference in sound. I can’t wait to upgrade the door speakers too.

tight squeeze screwing them in but they fit as promised. I installed 600 Hz bass blockers with them too so they don’t rob the front door speakers of power or rattle the dash (bass blockers sold separately). Fantastic upgrade, I highly recommend it. Get yourself a cheap right angle screwdriver from harbor freight to save yourself some trouble.

Last edited:
Pioneer TS-A878 3 1/2 Inch 2-Way... https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)

I finally got around to installing dash speakers in my 2013 Cx-5 Sport using the Pioneers I linked to above (car was prewired but no speakers installed from factory). Huge difference in sound. I can’t wait to upgrade the door speakers too.

tight squeeze screwing them in but they fit as promised. I installed 600 Hz bass blockers with them too so they don’t rob the front door speakers of power or rattle the dash (bass blockers sold separately). Fantastic upgrade, I highly recommend it. Get yourself a cheap right angle screwdriver from harbor freight to save yourself some trouble.
Good info. Speakers are always the weakest link on audio system. Good speakers are too expensive and car manufactures are not going to use it even in so-called premium system, Hence cheap paper-cone full-range speakers are used not only on your base audio system, but on our “premium” Bose system. Replacing factory speakers is always the first and simplest step to improve sound quality.

Good info. Speakers are always the weakest link on audio system. Good speakers are too expensive and car manufactures are not going to use it even in so-called premium system, Hence cheap paper-cone full-range speakers are used not only on your base audio system, but on our “premium” Bose system. Replacing factory speakers is always the first and simplest step to improve sound quality.

agreed! that’s all I will do in the end. I’m fine with the stock head unit so I’m just replacing the speakers. Anything above and beyond that would be nice but I believe I’d have diminishing returns.

I like the idea of easy installation.

Did you have to cut or splice the connectors?

I found Boss Kenwood and Kicker 3.5s on Parts Express but not Pioneer.

Funny you mention that, I did both. The driver side connector for the life of me would not come out of that placeholder insert in the dash. I snipped the connector off and crimped some connectors on the wire. I used the stock connector on the passenger side. I used the 3 pin CPU fan connector to plug into the proprietary Mazda speaker connector.

Those are the dash speakers for 2013-2016.5 (I believe) model years for CX-5s without the Bose system. That will work if that’s what you’re looking for. I don’t think the sound quality is great though. Expect paper material.

I checked shipping and from New Mexico to Colorado it's $37!!

I guess I will end up doing some splicing.

Back