2013 CX-5 2.0 6spd oil leak

Hi all,

new here. I have developed a new oil leak in my 2013 CX-5 2.0 6spd manual with 170,000km . I’ve owned it since new.
small patch of oil on the driveway.
doesn’t look like a drain plug. Last oil change was 5000km ago and this just started. Oil is collecting on top of the plastic cladding under the car, and dripping through the holes onto the driveway.
I thought I had noticed some white exhaust, but it’s been winter here and can be hard to be sure in cold weather. I took a picture of the top of the engine with the dust cover off, where there is also oil present.
Any ideas on what this could be? Hopefully not a head gasket but I’m concerned this could be the issue.
Thanks in advance.

Adam

Attachments

• 06488AB4-49D4-479E-A19E-8F50B5035A81.jpeg
    06488AB4-49D4-479E-A19E-8F50B5035A81.jpeg
    73.4 KB · Views: 407
Any chance there was oil spilled during the last oil change or the oil fill cap or dipstick was not fully seated. Both of these will result is oil on the engine top that will run down. Ed

Dipstick seemed ok when I checked my oil level.
Didn’t think to check the full cap, re seated that. Thanks. Hopefully that makes a difference.
I’m wondering if the oil on top of the engine is just over drip/ spoilage from 7 years of oil chnges.

It looks like a noob spilled oil on the valve cover. You can always wash it off with a hose and some spray (or the powerwasher at a self car wash). Put a cotton rag/towel over the alternator if you do that

It's almost certainly the oil control valve (OCV). If you search online, you'll find quite a few reports of those leaking after considerable mileage.

The fix requires removing the valve cover.

qQ4ms2B.jpg

That type of mess wouldn't come from the ocv. It doesn't spray out to cover the vc like that. That clearly looks like someone wiped oil over the VC (like with a rag after a spill). Unless the oil sheen on the vc is unrelated, the ocv weeps very slightly when it does start

I took a look under my hood and noticed the little electric fan motor on the radiator looked like it is oily.

I think this is strange as the motor is certainly a sealed unit and I haven't spilled any oil on it.

I always change my own oil and the time or two I spilled a little pouring it in I removed the plastic engine cover and wiped it all up with a Kleenex. I don't want oil to get on the plug coils or dripping down somewhere I can't reach.

I took a look under my hood and noticed the little electric fan motor on the radiator looked like it is oily.

I think this is strange as the motor is certainly a sealed unit and I haven't spilled any oil on it.

I always change my own oil and the time or two I spilled a little pouring it in I removed the plastic engine cover and wiped it all up with a Kleenex. I don't want oil to get on the plug coils or dripping down somewhere I can't reach.
It’s certainly strange. I guess you can clean the oil off the fan motor first, and wait and see.

It’s a follow up here. Turns out there were 3 separate issues.

oil control valve started leaking at the bottom of the engine, and was the source of the dripping.
Valve cover was seeping oil.
Oil pan was also seeping a bit.
All fixed up and good to go.
Maybe I’ll get another 170,000km out of it? Maybe.

oil control valve started leaking at the bottom of the engine, and was the source of the dripping.
Thanks for the update. The dripping from oil control valve was excessive. The other two oil seepages should consider normal wear and tear on most vehicles.

I better check mine. I have a 2.0 with about 42k miles.

I wonder why they fail.

I better check mine. I have a 2.0 with about 42k miles.

I wonder why they fail.
Most of time those rubber o-ring (oil control valve)、cork gasket (valve cover gasket)、and silicon seal (oil pan) are aged and hardened which would cause seepage or leak.

Sounds like pcv could be too high pressure and causing all the leaks just a thought.

hello Adamofsound, I got the same issue with that ocv gasket. had it replaced at 100k but after a week it started leaking again, so how is your gasket now, what brand did you use or did you oem or substitute brand? let me know cause it really a pain to remove the cover and do it all over, thanks

hi Adamofsound I have exactly same issue with the oil control gasket, I had it repaired, but after only a week it started leaking again, I know the gasket were replaced, HOW did it work for your car, did you install oem's or some brand, please let me know because now I might need to do everything all over again, any tip helps thanks

hi Adamofsound I have exactly same issue with the oil control gasket, I had it repaired, but after only a week it started leaking again, I know the gasket were replaced, HOW did it work for your car, did you install oem's or some brand, please let me know because now I might need to do everything all over again, any tip helps thanks
You need to change the oil control valve solenoid, PE01-14-420A, at the same time, not just the rubber o-ring seal, as the valve itself will leak too at higher mileage.

2014 CX5 Tune-Up items to replace?

Get the OEM OCV at partsouq.com on eBay for much lower price and very fast shipping from UAE. See post #55, 85, and 87 on the same thread.

Your old valve cover gasket should get replaced at the same time too.

You need to change the oil control valve solenoid, PE01-14-420A, at the same time, not just the rubber o-ring seal, as the valve itself will leak too at higher mileage.

2014 CX5 Tune-Up items to replace?

Get the OEM OCV at partsouq.com on eBay for much lower price and very fast shipping from UAE. See post #55, 85, and 87 on the same thread.

Your old valve cover gasket should get replaced at the same time too.
ok I will do that thanks for replying and help

Back