• Welcome to Mazdas247, the 24/7 Mazda Community and Resource. Learn about the benefits of becoming a Member here.
  • We're an Amazon Associate and eBay Partner. We earn from qualifying purchases.

2013 CX-5 2.0 6spd oil leak

Hi all,

new here. I have developed a new oil leak in my 2013 CX-5 2.0 6spd manual with 170,000km . I’ve owned it since new.
small patch of oil on the driveway.
doesn’t look like a drain plug. Last oil change was 5000km ago and this just started. Oil is collecting on top of the plastic cladding under the car, and dripping through the holes onto the driveway.
I thought I had noticed some white exhaust, but it’s been winter here and can be hard to be sure in cold weather. I took a picture of the top of the engine with the dust cover off, where there is also oil present.
Any ideas on what this could be? Hopefully not a head gasket but I’m concerned this could be the issue.
Thanks in advance.

Adam

Attachments

erhayes

Contributor
:
Mazda CX-5 FWD Touring
Any chance there was oil spilled during the last oil change or the oil fill cap or dipstick was not fully seated. Both of these will result is oil on the engine top that will run down. Ed

Dipstick seemed ok when I checked my oil level.
Didn’t think to check the full cap, re seated that. Thanks. Hopefully that makes a difference.
I’m wondering if the oil on top of the engine is just over drip/ spoilage from 7 years of oil chnges.

Chris_Top_Her

Banned
Contributor
:
San Antonio, Texas
:
'15 CX-5 Miata AWD
It looks like a noob spilled oil on the valve cover. You can always wash it off with a hose and some spray (or the powerwasher at a self car wash). Put a cotton rag/towel over the alternator if you do that

:
2018 CX-5 GT
It's almost certainly the oil control valve (OCV). If you search online, you'll find quite a few reports of those leaking after considerable mileage.

The fix requires removing the valve cover.

Chris_Top_Her

Banned
Contributor
:
San Antonio, Texas
:
'15 CX-5 Miata AWD
That type of mess wouldn't come from the ocv. It doesn't spray out to cover the vc like that. That clearly looks like someone wiped oil over the VC (like with a rag after a spill). Unless the oil sheen on the vc is unrelated, the ocv weeps very slightly when it does start

:
Pueblo county CO
:
CX-5 Sport 16.5 6M
I took a look under my hood and noticed the little electric fan motor on the radiator looked like it is oily.

I think this is strange as the motor is certainly a sealed unit and I haven't spilled any oil on it.

I always change my own oil and the time or two I spilled a little pouring it in I removed the plastic engine cover and wiped it all up with a Kleenex. I don't want oil to get on the plug coils or dripping down somewhere I can't reach.

yrwei52

2016 Mazda CX-5 GT AWD w/Tech Pkg. Plano, TX
Contributor
:
Plano, Texas, USA
I took a look under my hood and noticed the little electric fan motor on the radiator looked like it is oily.

I think this is strange as the motor is certainly a sealed unit and I haven't spilled any oil on it.

I always change my own oil and the time or two I spilled a little pouring it in I removed the plastic engine cover and wiped it all up with a Kleenex. I don't want oil to get on the plug coils or dripping down somewhere I can't reach.
It’s certainly strange. I guess you can clean the oil off the fan motor first, and wait and see.

It’s a follow up here. Turns out there were 3 separate issues.

oil control valve started leaking at the bottom of the engine, and was the source of the dripping.
Valve cover was seeping oil.
Oil pan was also seeping a bit.
All fixed up and good to go.
Maybe I’ll get another 170,000km out of it? Maybe.

yrwei52

Contributor
:
Plano, Texas, USA
It’s a follow up here. Turns out there were 3 separate issues.

oil control valve started leaking at the bottom of the engine, and was the source of the dripping.
Valve cover was seeping oil.
Oil pan was also seeping a bit.
All fixed up and good to go.
Maybe I’ll get another 170,000km out of it? Maybe.
Thanks for the update. The dripping from oil control valve was excessive. The other two oil seepages should consider normal wear and tear on most vehicles.

:
Pueblo county CO
:
CX-5 Sport 16.5 6M
I better check mine. I have a 2.0 with about 42k miles.

I wonder why they fail.

yrwei52

Contributor
:
Plano, Texas, USA
I better check mine. I have a 2.0 with about 42k miles.

I wonder why they fail.
Most of time those rubber o-ring (oil control valve)、cork gasket (valve cover gasket)、and silicon seal (oil pan) are aged and hardened which would cause seepage or leak.