2012 CX-5 SkyActiv-D 2.2L diesel...Turbos gone?

Hi I’m new to this so can someone please help me. I have just purchased a Mazda CX-5 2012 and the turbos have gone. I see on a lot of posts they say the camshafts go but this is on 2013 models, can someone confirm this?

Im in the uk it’s a 2012 cx5 awd
It’s a 2012 Mazda CX-5 SkyActiv-D 2.2L diesel AWD. Most countries in the world were getting 2012 CX-5 MY but we started a model year later with 2013 CX-5 in the US.

All the problems you’ve seen on 2013 CX-5 2.2L diesel are applicable to your 2012 2.2L diesel. Camshaft and turbo are separate issues, don’t mix these 2. How do you know your turbo is “gone”?

Always check with Mazda dealer in UK or consult Mazda UK directly to see if your 2012 CX-5 2.2L diesel is having any outstanding recalls or extended warranties (there’re many) which may help you to fix engine problems.

It’s a 2012 Mazda CX-5 SkyActiv-D 2.2L diesel AWD. Most countries in the world were getting 2012 CX-5 MY but we started a model year later with 2013 CX-5 in the US.

All the problems you’ve seen on 2013 CX-5 2.2L diesel are applicable to your 2012 2.2L diesel. Camshaft and turbo are separate issues, don’t mix these 2. How do you know your turbo is “gone”?

Always check with Mazda dealer in UK or consult Mazda UK directly to see if your 2012 CX-5 2.2L diesel is having any outstanding recalls or extended warranties (there’re many) which may help you to fix engine problems.
It’s in the garage now the mechanic diagnosed the turbos faulty blue smoke bellowing out the back and in limp mode with dpf blocked I will call Mazda in the morning and find out

It’s in the garage now the mechanic diagnosed the turbos faulty blue smoke bellowing out the back and in limp mode with dpf blocked I will call Mazda in the morning and find out
Blowing out blue smoke is a sign of major problems on your diesel engine. Usually a faulty turbo won’t have blue smoke. It seems you may have other issues including the camshaft which could have worn out prematurely.

Last edited:
OP: how many miles on your Cx-5? Purchased from a dealer or a private party?

Would the camshaft not cause the turbo to go or would it be something else ?

While it is possible for a bad camshaft to cause some turbo damage, there are many other more likely potential causes. In this engine, both issues usually don’t seem to appear together.

It’s in the garage now the mechanic diagnosed the turbos faulty blue smoke bellowing out the back and in limp mode with dpf blocked I will call Mazda in the morning and find ou

Different engine, but my CX-7 started smoking, it was caused by the intake and exhaust impeller seals/bearings failing and allowing oil to leak into the turbo. An easy way to tell your seals/bearings are bad is to pull enough of the intake off to get your fingers inside the turbo and check for play in the shaft. There shouldn’t be any lateral movement, just a nice controlled free spinning feel.

Back