>> 2010 Mazdaspeed3 HEADLIGHT BAKE & PAINT!!! **Photos & Video!**

UPDATE: Video here

...and so it begins...

As promised, I was going to 'rip out' my headlights, bake 'em and paint 'em. Clearly I plan to follow through (nana)

For those of you who are impatient and cant wait to see how its done, check out the video I did on my '09 R3 headlights by clicking here.

I absolutely HATE the chrome and amber nonsense in the 2010 headlights, the mission here... ELIMINATE IT. Today, the plan was to just get everything apart, out of the car. I will be posting pictures as I go along as well as a video of the process.

1. Remove 3 wheel well clips (with a phillips then small flathead) and 1 small 8mm bolt that attach to each side of the bumper.

2. Remove all 8mm and 10mm bolts under the bumper.

3. Remove all clips on top of the bumper and screws.

4. starting at the wheel wells, pull the bumper straight out and it will "snap" out of the clips (dont worry nothing breaks).

5. Pull the entire bumper out a few inches and gently lay it on the ground, right side up. You may need someone to hold it while you undo the foglight wiring.

6. Remove all foglight wiring, unplug the harnesses and clips and the bumper comes off.

7. Remove 3 bolts, and one plastic screw per headlight and unplug the single headlight wiring harness and out slides each headlight.

Todays photos are as follows...

photo2.jpg

photo4.jpg

photo.jpg

photo3.jpg

The wimpy horn...
photo5-1.jpg

photo5.jpg

photo4-1.jpg

photo2-1.jpg

All hardware removed
photo3-1.jpg

Rain is on the way. Gotta keep that wiring dry.
photo-1.jpg

Subscribe and watch the progress daily. =)

Last edited:
UPDATE...

Headlights wont fit in the oven. It is a standard size oven, so if anyone out there is planning on trying this, you will need an oversized oven. The 2010 headlights are about 4" longer than the RX-8 headlights. I could have measured before hand. Working on plan B as we speak... Heatgun.

Stay tuned

I was bummed to see the lights wouldnt fit in my oven... (not even diagonal in any direction)

photo2-3.jpg

photo3-3.jpg

Plan B pics coming in a few mins...

ok so as you all see... the oven idea was an epic fail.

Plan B was the heatgun. I was suprised to learn the heatgun process was faster and easier than the oven method. I was a bit nervous to use the heatgun but as long as I kept it moving around everything went according to plan...

Here are the victims...
photo-2.jpg

I covered the lenses with transfer paper to keep them from getting scuffed or scratched...
photo4-2.jpg

Face down, ass up... here you can see the HID ballasts I added previously...
photo5-2.jpg

Remove all wiring and bulbs...
photo2-2.jpg

Stripped down, ready to go...
photo-3.jpg

Go around the edges with the heatgun on low... keep moving...
photo5-3.jpg

Slowly pry the flathead around the entire border...
photo4-3.jpg

Once it seems to loosen up, slowly pull the pieces apart...
photo5-4.jpg

Take a knife and slice this adhesive...
photo-5.jpg

Viola...
photo-4.jpg

Remove the enemy... first a screw...
photo2-4.jpg

Then, slide the little tabs out...
photo4-4.jpg

Put plastic wrap over your projector lens and the clear lens you just removed to keep dust out...
photo3-5.jpg

photo4-5.jpg

Amber no more...
photo2-5.jpg

Painting comes next... I will do that before bed tonight so I can go to sleep high as a kite off of Krylon (sleep)

Stay tuned... Enjoy!

Last edited:
Update...

Im just waiting for the paint to dry a bit more before I reassemble the housings. Its still a bit soft since I put on 2 heavy coats. Should have pics tonight for them assembled. Tomorrow is rain so I dont think I will have them in the car yet.

Update... lights are all back together, waiting for them to cool off so I can silicone the seams and I will be uploading photos shortly... (tonight)

Update... lights are all back together, waiting for them to cool off so I can silicone the seams and I will be uploading photos shortly... (tonight)

Disecting begins...
photo5-5.jpg

photo-6.jpg

Ready to spray...
photo3-2.jpg

The weapon...
photo4-6.jpg

Battle begins... and ends after 2 thick coats...
photo-7.jpg

High beams... (im not concerned with the brightness/output, as long as they flash)
photo4-7.jpg

Turn signals...
photo3-4.jpg

Projector beam surrounding...
photo5-6.jpg

Amber reflectors... (if these just stay removed you will have a hole/gap which looks bad)
photo2-7.jpg

Pieces ready to be installed...
photo5-7.jpg

photo2-6.jpg

photo-8.jpg

photo3-6.jpg

photo4-8.jpg

Turn signal pieces installed...
photo4-9.jpg

All pieces in (except amber lenses which attach to the clear outer lens)...
photo-9.jpg

photo3-7.jpg

Sexy...
photo2-8.jpg

All the wiring has been put back together and bulbs put back in...
photo-10.jpg

A 100% silicone seal has been spread around the entire lens seam (just to be safe from moisture)...
photo2-9.jpg

The headlights have been fully assembled and the silicone is currently drying. The transfer paper is still over the lenses so I havent even seen the finished product yet. I will be installing them on the car Saturday since tomorrow 'friday' is going to rain. Once theyre in the car the finished product will be releaved!

Last edited:
DAMN IT I COULDNT RESIST.... HAD TO TAKE A PEEK!

photo3-8.jpg

photo2-10.jpg

photo-11.jpg

The speckles that are seen on the lens are on the outside (bug residue)...

Installed pics will be up here saturday.... check back! (rockon)

UPDATE: VIDEO BELOW!

Last edited:
u wouldn't happen to work for decalfx? lol

looks good - hopefully you don't tint the headlights. cant wait to see them on the car.
personally, i would have kept the shroud chrome.... so when are you taking orders? hehe

Last edited:
very nice man !!nice work,will wait to see how they look on the car

are you gonna do the rear ones also???

Last edited:
very nice man !!nice work,will wait to see how they look on the car

are you gonna do the rear ones also???

The rears are plastic welded together, you cant open them with heat. You would need to dremel them apart and im ALL SET with that. It would be a disaster. LoL

Back