2008 GT Brake Rotors

beefski

:
2013 CX-9 GT AWD Pearl White / Sand
So ive used up all the goodwill that Mazda would give me for their crap front rotors. Ill now have to bite the bullet and go aftermarket. Im not going drilled or slotted as this is a family hauler. What brands has theCX9 community used? Powerstop is on many parts sites in a package with pads.

Any info would be appreciated to help the decision.

Thanks.

The best bang for the $ is easily Centric, widely available online.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)

I had ...3 sets I think. Two track sets on 2 different cars and one street set. By tracking I mean high speed 20 min runs on actual track not Walmart parking lot, lol. Both cars weren't light either - 3500LBS+. No warping ever, the price is right and that black paint does prevent rust for a lot longer. Highly recommended mate. By the way ...drilled, slotted is the biggest BS and misconception about weel performing brakes. Unless you go with pro grade $250 a pop rotors - you want blanks.

Yep. I had centric with yellow stuff. If beded in properly this is amazing set up. Also, actual build quality and fitment tolerances are like no other pads I have used. Hawks look like high school project made out of playdoo next to EBC. You pay for that quality though

Another +1 for Centric. Great rotor at a great price.

I thought I was going to be doing rotors on the wife's CX-9 soon but I think she's just been babying it too much and getting pad buildup. After some spirited driving when I had it last week all the pulsing is gone. :)

@Drogos ... Where do you do track days and with what? I used to do the fun days at Nelson Ledges in my 05 GTO.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tRvZmJd_gHg

^ I used to use EBC yellows but found Carbotech XP-12's to be much better with the high HP and heavy GTO.

Last edited:
@Drogos ... Where do you do track days and with what? I used to do the fun days at Nelson Ledges in my 05 GTO.

I used to track mazda 6 wagon v6 manual and later on subaru legacy spec b with 6MT. Most of the track days was done with MVP track time. I think that's the name. I did mostly Joliet autobahn and my favorite Putnam Park. I also did one day at Gingerman. Good times and a lot of much faster cars whooped, LOL. My favorite are Ice trials though...or rather what happens after cones are gone lol:

Putnam - I swear I had that yellow corvette at the end....but camera died on me lol!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UN9zKjSoD50

Ice trials:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-rLgW0OZmos

rotors don't warp.

pulsating brakes come from a buildup up of pad material, literally melting onto a hot rotor.

that being said, I've only ever used generic rotor and pad sets from ebay. for a passenger vehicle that is fine. if I was racing, then Hawk/EBC/Brembo, etc, whatever. previous to my CX-9 I had a Mazda 5, and the generic ebay setup I put on there was fine, at least as good or better than the stock stuff. I'm running the same generic stuff on my BMW 325xi now and they are great. and I had no problems doing the same thing on my previous Camry also.

Oh yeh they warp all right....get them red hot on the track and drive through a paddle and we can have this conversation again. Poor quality rotor will warp on the street too. Pad deposit is indeed the most common problem but rotor warping is a fact

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Oh yeh they warp all right....get them red hot on the track and drive through a paddle and we can have this conversation again. Poor quality rotor will warp on the street too. Pad deposit is indeed the most common problem but rotor warping is a fact
http://www.hendonpub.com/resources/article_archive/results/details?id=1787

http://www.stoptech.com/technical-support/technical-white-papers/-warped-brake-disc-and-other-myths

http://www.brakeandfrontend.com/warped-rotors-myth/

http://www.mossmotors.com/SiteGraphics/Pages/brake_discs.html

how many more references would you like?

Yep.

giphy.gif

I put Centric e-coated rotors on the front around 32k miles or so.... got 89k now and it's about time to replace them again. Nothing against Centric. Rotor size is just too small for the weight of the vehicle. Mazda fail.

I put Centric e-coated rotors on the front around 32k miles or so.... got 89k now and it's about time to replace them again. Nothing against Centric. Rotor size is just too small for the weight of the vehicle. Mazda fail.

what is the reason that they need to be replaced? because, to just out of hand declare mazda (or basically, Ford) underspec'd the brakes w/o data isn't helpful.

front rotor diameter is 12.5", pretty good size rotor I'd say.

These are small for sure but unless u drive in the mountains ...and fast to boot...it's sufficient

And most likely u just need to clean and/or cut the rotors...is it vibrating? Pad deposits for sure

what is the reason that they need to be replaced? because, to just out of hand declare mazda (or basically, Ford) underspec'd the brakes w/o data isn't helpful.

front rotor diameter is 12.5", pretty good size rotor I'd say.

Given the weight of the CX-9 and size of the rotors, compared to my B4 VR6 Passat that I used to have, with rotors just slightly smaller, and given the weight of my sedan, I am qualified to say that the rotors on the CX-9 are too small, however there are more comparisons that can be made as well. I drove my B4 like a racecar, drove the snot out of it. Factory original front rotors did not begin to realize heat transfer deposits until 80k+ miles. That is a realistic and reasonable expectation for any vehicle. The frequency of the average number of miles that owners are reporting rotor replacement on their CX-9's is not reasonable. It really is pretty cut & dry.

The reason I'm needing to replace them again is the usual: brake & shake (wheels/tires are roadforce balanced (reference Hunter roadforce balancer), alignment printout shows all green). The rotors have heated pad transfer, due to excessive heat *obviously*. Key word here is heat. The constraints of these small rotors yield ineffective heat dissipation. Pretty black & white.

There is a lady at my daughter's school driving a newer Durango with a Brembo big brake kit. I am very jealous. I would spend the money on a big brake kit if one were made for the CX-9. The only one I have ever seen is in the UK and was custom made for one vehicle, but not available to the public.

Oh common on...big brake kit.....gimme a break...I drove mazda 6 v6 wagon 5mt....not a light car ...at high speed autocross....20 min sessions of 90mph+ with constant, brutal beating on the brakes....totally fine with proper track pad on otherwise stock setup. Same on much faster and equally heavy subaru spec b. What u need is proper pad. Rotors are fine...brakes were designed and tested by people smarter than us....what I will agree on is the fact that for more aggressive driving stock pads are s***. Yeh that's very likely. Overheating and likely stucking to the rotor at red lights. Get decent higher temp pad and I guarantee you, it will brake like a diff car. U have to do it right though...new high temp fluid, new properly cleaned rotors and u have to properly brake in the pads....after that I guarantee you 30% more braking power and 100% temp resistance

well I guess I'm the outlier of the group, my 2012 is on the original brakes at about 56K. just got it inspected, still 50% pad life. no vibration issues.

I expected I was going to need brakes, because by this time on my previous Mazda5, I had to do brakes, pads were shot before 50K. and for that car, the brakes WERE big, and a lot lighter vehicle, so IDK.

this is part of the reason I'm hardly on this forum anymore, my CX9 is pretty flawless, no problems or complaints. probably the best Mazda, if not the best car I've ever had (and I've had, and wrenched on quite a few)

Overheating and likely sticking to the rotor at red lights.

THIS.

peoples driving habits are the #1 cause of difficulties and complaints. same when people complain about poor mpg's, they refuse to accept that they are the problem. much easier to blame the car.

too many people treat the gas and brake as an on/off switch, with not enough coasting. I watch it on my block with the stop sign; people are still accelerating to within 50ft of the stop sign, only to get on the brakes hard, then jump back on the gas.

This is very true....and annoys the s*** out of me.i drove manuals all my life so I coast a lot and anticipate apparently lot more than 90% of drivers. I am coasting toward the red lights while idiots behind me slam on the gas to go around me and immidietly slam on the brakes right after. Brainless monkeys. People seem to recognize what's 50 feet ahead of the car and rarely use imagination....if someone never drove manual in their life they indeed usually have only 2 modes..on or off...like bump cars in 6 flags lol

Also...I seem to have weird tendency when driving AT...I never keep constant pressure on brakes especially when I have a lot of time to brake...I brake lightly to the point when tranny is about to downshift and let go, transmission does 50% of braking for me

Back