2003 Protege ES

Tom03es

Mile High Zoom-Zoom
Contributor
:
2003 Protege ES
I just bought a 2003 Mazda Protege ES. It has about 28000 miles. Dark blue. Tinted windows. Automatic. Sunroof.

This car is great. A friend of mine bought a 2002 a few months ago and has loved it ever since. I also drive a 1992 Saturn SC as a daily driver/STS autox car as well as a 2004 Saturn VUE. My wife is going to be primarily driving the Protege. I love the tight steering and firm suspension of the Protege. It's not quite as nice as my SC, but it is much more civilized on the street than my SC. My SC is certainly faster, but the Protege is more comfortable.

Just thought I'd pop in and say hello.

--Tom

Last edited:
Welcome to the forums, and congratulations on the new baby, hehehe. Protege is definetly known for its handling. Stock suspention is awesome! although once you upgrade the suspention in it, Protege becomes a ground hog, lol. Certainly its not fast, but its quick for what it has.

I hope you will find these forums useful, and if you have any questions dont hesitate to ask, but dont forget to search for answers too, hehe (thumb)

Welcome to the club! I just bought a 2003 Protege ES as well, only mine's a maroon 5 speed. I think that the 5 speed makes a big difference in quickness (and I also found that having the A/C off gives it a big boost as well, but that's going to be hard to live with considering how miserable this summer's been).

The handling is great though, but that new shift knob is first on my list... the last owner apparently thought it would be cool to peel the H speed position coating off the top of the stock knob and now it looks like ass.

Thanks everyone.

Yeah, my Protege is just a wife car. She wanted the automatic since she is tired of driving manuals. The auto does have that "sport shift" thing though. I haven't really played with it much. The car does have some decent pep to it (even being the automatic). I just love the steering and suspension on it. If I want serious speed, I have my Saturn to take autoxing or to the road course to flog it. My Saturn is set up with some go-fast parts and some turn quick parts (check my webpage).

Thanks.
--Tom

Back