2003 Pro5 roof rack questions

HuckFinn

:
2003 P5
I bought an 03 P5 back in October, and it has the factory installed strips and roof rack mounts (maybe these are standard?) but no rack. The dealer parts department I talked to says they don't make a rack for this model, which is ludicrous because A) the tracks are there; and B) I've seen plenty of racks out there.

Thule & Yakima make the door-mounted racks, but I'd rather use the mounts I have. So questions:

1) Does anyone know where I can get a factory rack?

2) Do people prefer factory or Yak/Thule racks? I'll be using the rack for kayaks and likely a box...

Thanks!

i'll buy the strips from you if you find a rack and want to sell.

also look on ebay for the racks there were two on there for about a 100...

Dealers sells them if you want it brand new. They make the rack and they should sell them, try another dealer they might give you a different answer.

On the other note I can also sell you my rack. When I bought my car 2002 it came with the rack installed and I took it out because I never use them and not planning to.

when i get home tonight, ill look and see if i still have the cross bars from mine which is what im assuming you need

yeah, would be good to clear up terms...
what exactly do you have?

the strips that run front to back on both sides of the car?
the cross bars? (that run between the 2 strips)

and you want like a bike rack to attach to the cross bars?

wouldn't hurt to check mazdastuff.com

Well, where do you live?
I'll take the fill in plastic things off your hands if you do get a rack.
I'd like to take my crossbars off.

2) Do people prefer factory or Yak/Thule racks? I'll be using the rack for kayaks and likely a box...

Thanks![/QUOTE]

I've had both the factory and an aftermarket Yakima...and I prefer the Yakima. Consider this, if you want to add accessories to the factory rack, you have to buy through a dealer and that ain't cheap. But if you want to add anything to your Yakima, you can get it online for much, much less. Besides, I think the aftermarkets look better.

i also have the thin roof rack filler strips id like to get rid of in case anyone wants to completly remove their rack

Towelboy said:
I've had both the factory and an aftermarket Yakima...and I prefer the Yakima. Consider this, if you want to add accessories to the factory rack, you have to buy through a dealer and that ain't cheap. But if you want to add anything to your Yakima, you can get it online for much, much less. Besides, I think the aftermarkets look better.

I think Yakima comes attachments that will fit our factory racks no?

I remember reading that you can get Thule "tracker" roof rack mounts to fit in the stock P5 roof rails, but they take a little modification. Then you just add bars and bike/ski/snow board carriers. Looked pretty good from what I remember.
I've got a Mazda roof rack on my car, and added the Rocky Mounts bike carriers to it, and they work well. The only thing I don't like about them is that the quick release lever is plastic, and that the rear bike tire hits the hatch when opened. But the bike tire thing is gonna happen w/just about any rack on the P5 using the stock rails.
Thule makes some kind of adapter that'll go on the Mazda cross bars, but I believe it adds a 2nd crossbar on top of the stock crossbar, and to me would look silly. There's alot of info in a bunch of different threads in this forum.

Yes, Yakima does make an attachment for the factory rack, but it an upright carrier (meaning you have to leave the front wheel on). I prefer the fork mounted ones, they seem to feel more stable.

Thanks for helping out a noob...

I have the strips that run back to front (or front to back, I suppose...) but not the crossbars or the crossbar feet.

Sounds like the Yakima aftermarket might be the way to go, but it seems silly to not use the factory rails that are already installed. No sillier than the dealer saying he can't sell me the parts, though.

I've seen a fair amount of people just selling the crossbars, check the for sale section, or post in the WTB section within it...

See now I have the other problem. I have Bars but no rails.... Anyone want to sell there rails?

Or I'll trade my factory rails Feet and mounting hard wear for a aftermarket set of bars that will work without rails.

KYMP5 said:
i also have the thin roof rack filler strips id like to get rid of in case anyone wants to completly remove their rack

Are these to fill in the gap created by removing the entire roof rack assembly? If so, please send details and pics if possible. I would be very interested in them, as I have removed the entire rack and now require a solution for the gap.

Thanks,
torin2

It is probibly the strips that I currently have in mine. (that I would trade for the rails you took off :p

It would look like this
29.jpg

Latest posts

Back