2003 Cranks but no start - What is the noise?

damien381

:
2003 Protoge 5 @ 185K
2003 protege5 186k
Battled the familiar misfire p0300 and p0421 issue (non fouler is awesome!) and jacked up the cats in the process. I dropped new coils, plugs, wires, and EGR and the car runs good, except for the hesitation due to the clogged cats, I ordered a new exhaust header and mid pipe \cat to deal with that.

My daughter has been driving it for a month with no issues or error codes. Yesterday I find some time to take on the exhaust and go to start it in the nasty -20 windchill cold. It cranks but won't start. This car had zero starting issues previous to this. ECM has no stored codes in it. I have a BT OBD2 reader and a smartphone if you have ideas.

Here is a video of the issue.

Tried to Jump it - same result
Tried starting fluid - same result (only did this twice with a two count of spray. Not interested in blowing it up.)
checked the fuel pressure on the return line - squirts out just fine.
I ohm'd the Crank and Cam position sensors, both look fine.

What is that sucking noise that I hear?? What ideas do you all have?

I'm going to go back out and go through the basics Spark, compression, fuel, once the -30 windchill goes away. Until then I figured I would throw it to the internet and see what you all say.

I can't really help you with this...but all I have to say is you are way committed to this car to be working on it in -20 degree weather

Why is the intake tube not connected to the airbox?

Here's the big list of possibilities...
(the you-tube videos never work for me ???)

My commitment to getting this car running is in direct relation to my desire to not play chauffer to my 16 year old :) I'm going to chew on the last that PCB posted and see what I can find. I'm also going to drop a new battery in this. It tested okay, but it's 4 years old and as I might of mentioned earlier, it gets a bit chilly here. I'll keep you all posted.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

I heard it cough, so I bet that it probably has spark and fuel. Check them both to make sure though.

You said the cats were mostly clogged, pull an 02 sensor and try to start it.

Tried pulling the O2 sensor this afternoon. No change.

The battery was old so I went ahead and replaced it. I put a test light on cylinder 1 and verified spark, but still no start.
Here is the video
https://youtu.be/v3PXdt3qTq4
next stop is fuel pressure testing, but I will need to get a tester for that.
As soon as I stopped cranking, I heard this funny suction sound. Frozen fuel line?

Last edited:
if the air doesn't pass through the intake sensor (whatever it's called on this car) The ECU will not be able to time the car correctly. , you need it installed.

Start there, then make sure the manifold is tightened down properly. Also check to make sure the 02 is plugged in correctly.

Depending on how long the car has been sitting it may be having issues with starting due to the temp, but the starter fluid (God Fluid) should remedy this.

if the air doesn't pass through the intake sensor (whatever it's called on this car) The ECU will not be able to time the car correctly. , you need it installed.

Start there, then make sure the manifold is tightened down properly. Also check to make sure the 02 is plugged in correctly.

Depending on how long the car has been sitting it may be having issues with starting due to the temp, but the starter fluid (God Fluid) should remedy this.

Although you are correct that you shouldn't leave sensors unplugged, this car can run without the MAF sensor plugged in.

Before you start digging let me give you my 2 cents of information.

Based on what I can hear, she kicks once in a while and its random... That means that it is getting both spark and fuel in at least one cylinder. This eliminates a lot of possible causes.

The coils on these cars are a nightmare, and there are only 2 of them. An engine can barely run on 2 cylinders, let alone start. Putting the spark tester on cylinder 1 will only tell you that cylinder one is sparking. I would pull out all 4 plugs, and touch them to the valve cover while still in the coil boot ofcourse, then crank and watch them sparking. What do you see?

While the plugs are out, spray a little bit of starting fluid in a couple of the cylinders.

Oh and just for kicks, put in your old coil packs and see if anything changes. I see you have NGK coils on there and although they are a good company, I have seen problems with them.

Last edited:
Update: It warmed up to almost 30 degrees today. It fought me for a few seconds, and then started right up.

Fyi the only difference is a new battery and 40 degrees warmer. I'm thinking there is some water in the fuel line perhaps?

Update: It warmed up to almost 30 degrees today. It fought me for a few seconds, and then started right up.

Fyi the only difference is a new battery and 40 degrees warmer. I'm thinking there is some water in the fuel line perhaps?

Possible, but if that had been the case I think it should've started on starting fluid.

You might swap the ECT sensor.

It sounds like your distributer is off a couple teeth on the cam shaft, haha. Really does sound like a timing issue, but since you've already started it, that can't be the problem.

What coils did you put in it? I wonder if they didn't like the cold. The cheap ones from Autozone/Advance are garbage.

Wouldn't the ECT cut fuel or spark? He's clearly getting both.

The coils are Beck Arnley 178-8310, and the wires are ngk.

Back