2002 protege5 cel codes

Hey Guys,

I just bought a 2002 Protege5 last week and am absolutely loving it. However, it has started to run a little rough at idle and it is struggling a bit to start.
It also stalled 2 times several days ago but that hasn't reappeared, but the struggling to start is somewhat disconcerting.
Here are the codes that I have pulled:
po401
po455
p1250
po660
po300

I'm figuring I should start with plugs, wires, and coil packs. Can you guys help me with sourcing parts? From what I have read I should stick with
Hitachi or NGK. Any suggestions on where I can source these parts online. Also, any help/suggestions with changing fuel pressure regulator, cleaning/changing
EGR valve would be greatly appreciated. I can't wait to get this car running right, it handles amazing for a 18 year old car. A little more power would be amazing!!!

It's a good idea to start with the plugs, wires and coil packs.

Hitachi is the OEM supplier of coils for our car and many here have had great luck with them.
Don't go cheap with coils.

Rock Auto is great for parts.

NGK wires are good and NGK regular V-groove copper plugs give the best spark and are cheap. (although they don't last as long).

it looks like you need a PRC solenoid valve as well as a VICS solenoid valve.

They are a bit tricky to order.
There are a few different solenoid valves on our car and they don't always have the same name as the service manual.

Take a look at your valves and compare them to the picture on-line.

They are really expensive at the dealership.

Try replacing your gas cap and look at the mating surface of the filler neck to see if it's rusted or cruddy.
That one might be a simple fix.

Some of your codes might go away once you have your new plugs, wires and coils installed.

Your P1250 code is for the Fuel Pressure Regulator solenoid valve not the actual FPR.

A lot of guys here have had to clean or replace their EGR.
There's a bunch of threads about it.
(I think that's where you need a 1/4" stubby ratchet handle to get in there).

A sticking EGR can cause a rough idle and stall the car.

These are a few solenoids availeable.

This one has two different solenoids under the same heading.

Hey Guys, I just wanted to follow up on my original post. Here's a little background.
I bought the 2002 Protege5 with 196k for $1000.
It was running o.k. but had stalling and starting problems.
Here are the codes it had thrown.

PO1250,PO401,PO455,PO300,PO660

So, with your recommondations I went ahead and bought and installed NGK plugs, wires, and coil packs.
I sparayed out the MAF sensor and throttle body.

The car now runs much better. It feels more responsive and pulls harder.
However, the idle is still a little funky, but i have only driven around 80 miles on the reboot.

The starting issue is still a problem. The car usually starts on the 2nd crank after I give it a pump or 2.

After about 50 miles I threw all the same codes I had started with originally.

So, while the car runs much better, I would love to hear your suggestions on what to do next.

Thank you all for the help, the car is so much fun to drive, I cant wait to get it 100%..

Mike

You need those two solenoids.

The car needs extra fuel pressure to start.
If the solenoid isn't working, you won't get that extra pressure.

If the VICS isn't working properly your car won't run properly either.

A seafoam treatment might be a good idea too.
1/2 a can in the gas and 1/2 in the oil.

LOL, check out my answers in other thread for same thing........was thinking VTCS since those work at startup and VICS only after 5k rpm.......check me on my other answers too.

Back