2002 Protege Startup Issue. No Crank No Start, No Lights

dp89

:
Mazda Protege 2002
Hey guys. I've enjoyed browsing your forums thus far.

So I have an '02 Protege (not 5) and yesterday it decided not to start. It had been 'sluggishly' starting the past week and yesterday just quit. I got the starter replaced earlier this year. When I turn the key to "ACC" the radio interface turns on. When I turn the key to "On", not even the dashboard lights turn on, the radio goes off but I hear one click on the passenger side under the hood which I'm assuming is the starter. When I turn to "Start", there is absolutely nothing happening. Headlights will not turn on, dash lights will not turn on. Notta.

I cleaned the battery terminals and clamps but I guess the issue is bigger. I have a multimeter which registered my battery at 12.30 volts, which I figure would at least light up the dash but something else is up.

Anything would help!

Last edited:
Hey guys. I've enjoyed browsing your forums thus far.

So I have an '02 Protege (not 5) and yesterday it decided not to start. It had been 'sluggishly' starting the past week and yesterday just quit. I got the starter replaced earlier this year. When I turn the key to "On", not even the dashboard lights turn on but I hear one click on the passenger side under the hood which I'm assuming is the starter. When I turn to "Start", there is absolutely nothing happening. Headlights will not turn on, dash lights will not turn on. Notta.

I cleaned the battery terminals and clamps but I guess the issue is bigger. I have a multimeter which registered my battery at 12.30 volts, which I figure would at least light up the dash but something else is up.

Anything would help!

You are probably hearing a relay click.

If you are saying that none of the lights come on, I would check the fuses, primarily the main fuse.

Battery/ connection. Bad connection and bad battery will send power radio but not give enough juice to run anything else

I agree that it's likely a bad connection between the battery and starter solenoid. I had the exact symptoms and it was caused by the starter solenoid wire. I disconnected the wire and wire brushed the terminal as best I could.

The only other issue that has caused those symptoms for me is the alarm. If the alarm is tripped, the starter circuit is disconnected. But in that case the horn would beep and the lights would flash.

That clicking you hear is the opening of the relay that controls all accessories. When you turn the key from off to Acc, that relay closes allowing the accessories to turn on. When you turn from Acc to Start, the relay opens to shut off all the power to the radio/fan/etc. It is not a starter circuit relay.

I had a similar issue with a Mazda B3000 truck a few years ago. It was the battery terminals/cables that was the origin of my issue. It started with the truck not wanting to start but the radio would work. It progressed very quickly to dying while idling at a stop (probably from vibrations?). Cleaned off any corrosion and that seemed to help, but didn't fix the problem. Replaced the cables and haven't had a problem since.

Back