2002 Mazda protege5 idle/sputtering problem

Linky25

:
2002 Mazda protege5
I'm having a problem with my mazda for a couple of months now and i cant figure out the problem yet. found out 2 of my ignition coils keep burning out so i replaced them 2 times within 3 month not sure whats causing the problem and someone at a shop told me i should replace the crankshaft. it was running normal but yesterday i was at a stop and the idle dropped and it sounded like it was sputtering so i turned it OFF and ON and went back to normal. can anyone give any suggestions please i would greatly appreciated

Idle oscillation seems to be a common complaint on these cars. There are many threads out there about this, seems like they pop up once or twice a month, you can browse problems and solutions for hours if you search.

Here are some causes of rough idle/stalling.
1. Cracked intake tube
2. Vacuum leaks
3. EGR valve sticking open
4. Dirty IAC valve.

What coils are you using? If they're Chinese, consider buying better ones.

i purchased them at autozone im barely learning about this car since the only cars im more familiar with are Hondas like ef,ej. people keep telling me i should change the crankshaft. im not familiar where everything is on this car im justn hoping i can get it running normal in a day

People may suggest that you change the crankshaft position sensor, but there is almost never a reason to change the crankshaft alone. The crankshaft carries the rods that hold up the pistons. Problems with these parts cause the engine to burn oil, and could seize the engine if driven too long without repair. However, crankshafts do not cause engines to run erratically or to burn out ignition coils. (IMHO)

Yeah don't change the crankshaft. Interesting that you burned through so many coils. They're Duralast? Do you have any check engine lights (CELs). Mr. Giggles' first two suggestions should trigger a lean condition CEL. Ignition coils or spark plug wires should trigger a misfire CEL. They did for me. My two cents here are to check your spark plug wires as well. The 2.0 Proteges have a wasted spark system which means that two cylinders have ignition coils and two have spark plug wires. It's entirely possible that your problem lies in a cylinder that has a spark plug wire and not an ignition coil.

Coils are a royal PITA for our car.... They have been known to be bad brand new out of the box.

You may want to consider OEM coils.... They are a lot more money but can be worth it.

A failing coil causes a misfire and a misfire can burnout your pre-cat. ( in less than two minutes)

A misfire is the Only code that flashed the cel on our car. (...it's that serious)

Last edited:
Here are some causes of rough idle/stalling.
1. Cracked intake tube
2. Vacuum leaks
3. EGR valve sticking open
4. Dirty IAC valve.

Bad coils too ... they can test fine on the bench... Then crap out on your car... If and when they feel like it...

so basically the previous owner change the plugs or ignition coils and might of misplaced them in the wrong order. does anyone have a pic or diagram showing the correct order. the coils are oem and yes they are duralast ill try to take more pictures tomorrow morning.

Back