2.5T Piggyback

V
'14 Mazda CX-5 GT
Burger Motorsports is considering developing one of their JB4 piggybacks for the 2.5T. Below is the response I recieved to my inquiry this weekend. I suspect they could be persuaded to hurry it along if they heard from a number of the members on this forum. I'm also going to post this on the Mazda 6 and CX-9 pages. For those of you not familiar with BMS and their JB4, check out any of the BMW forums. I've had good experience with their products on my 335i and Cooper S. Obviously a piggyback isn't the perfect tuning solution, but when you consider geographic limitations it's nice to have a DIY option that doesn't require access to a dyno and reputable tuner.

Email from BMS:

Hello, actually the newer Mazda 2.5T's are a motor we are looking into.* There is no exact time frame but it's on our radar so keep your eyes peeled.* *We don't offer JB+'s on non BMW models often so it would most likely be a stage 1 or JB4.* N54tech our forum would be the best place to check for updates.* You can also join our newsletter at the bottom of the website as we would also post updates on that as well.**

Thank you,*

BMS

Burgertuning.com

V
2019 CX-5 Signature AWD DCBM
I ran a JB1 on my 16 Golf R 6MT and a JB4 on my 17 Audi S3. I would love to see one come out for the 2.5T Mazda motor.

V
Soon to be 2.5T CX-5
A piggy back would be great, especially if they have a wiring harness to go with it. No soldering needed, and a plug and play could possibly allow a stealthy way of still keeping a warranty. Hmm.

V
2019 CX-5 Signature
It*s called a piggy back because rather than replacing the ECU with an aftermarket one, this tuner goes inline between the stock computer and the vehicle. Therefore it *hitches a ride* on the OEM components and referred to as a piggy back (which is a common reference when requiring two individual items to have the same effect as a single item).

Avoidin Deer

Central Virginia
Contributor
V
2019 CX-5 Reserve
So how does this differ from an ECU Tune I've read about here?

There's a company that provides the initial software that you load, then you attach your laptop to the OBD2 post (laptop software & cables provided) to capture data as you drive around. You send the file that process creates to them and they send you the final software that's specific to your engine to upload. No hardware is involved.

How does a piggyback differ?

The one advantage it might have is that you can remove it as desired (if I understand correctly) if you're worried about warranty implications.

V
'14 Mazda CX-5 GT
Correct. It's plug and play. Very simple for an enthusiast to install and uninstall. No laptop or technical support required. In my opinion, the ideal setup for anyone looking for a conservative bump in performance from a daily driver.

V
'14 Mazda CX-5 GT
To be fair, I've never loaded a tune from a laptop. I'm more of a mechanically inclined person. Someone with more of a tech background may disagree and say the downloaded tune is the easier way to go.

V
Soon to be 2.5T CX-5
To be fair, I've never loaded a tune from a laptop. I'm more of a mechanically inclined person. Someone with more of a tech background may disagree and say the downloaded tune is the easier way to go.
A flash is easier, however, a piggy back is easier on the user as far as hiding it because of the plug and play. Obviously, a stand alone is the best because it replaces the whole ecu.

On my cars and cars Ive helped tune, I ran a flash for basics, piggy back (Greddy emanage, Cobb, Hondata) for finer tuning, and a stand alone for whatever you want a and need (AEM (my fav), Apexi FC).

All in all, I hope to see several platforms available for these engines. Im definitely a buyer.

V
Soon to be 2.5T CX-5
So how does this differ from an ECU Tune I've read about here?

There's a company that provides the initial software that you load, then you attach your laptop to the OBD2 post (laptop software & cables provided) to capture data as you drive around. You send the file that process creates to them and they send you the final software that's specific to your engine to upload. No hardware is involved.

How does a piggyback differ?

The one advantage it might have is that you can remove it as desired (if I understand correctly) if you're worried about warranty implications.
This is perfect for you. I thought of you as soon as I saw it posted.

Latest threads

Latest resources