2.5 Turbo Oil Analysis?

My wife's 2020 CX-5 GTR, first oil change.

N10971.jpg

Here's a UOA I had done on my 2018 CX-9.

Here's another UOA posted from @crimeariver, who also has a 2018 CX-9. The oil dilution reported in this post appeared to be from a faulty fuel injector, which the dealer replaced under warranty, but my understanding is that he is still experiencing oil dilution issues, possibly from a different fuel injector (assuming the dealership didn't just change all of them).

There may be more 2.5T UOAs posted in the Skyactiv Oil Analysis thread.

I have done the old "sniffaroo" test on mine and I could swear I smellmsome fuel in it, when mentally comparing it to whatever normal is... will keep a nose out on it, maybe sniff other samples to calibrate (learning from my Beagle haha).
Getting change #1 done soon, will do a before and after sniff and will try that actual analysis to keep an eye on things (rather than a nose??) but yeah, potential dilution and my easy fix is to change it more frequently - oil is cheap.
If it keeps up I will ask the dealer to take a look to have it on record and if they need to change injectors I guess they will need to change injectors..

Smellmsome? Big thumbs... sorry!

Lol, no worries @Clydesride. For future reference, if you spot an error in a previous post or you want to change/add anything to it, you can click on the "Edit" button at the end of your post. This allows you to make changes to the existing post and save them. Cheers!

2018 CX-9 Signature. Sample taken at 58500 km on the odometer.

There is a suspected internal coolant leak. No other symptoms of an external coolant leak.

Attachments

• 2018 Mazda CX-9 AWD_ENGINE (1).pdf
    91.1 KB · Views: 120
2018 CX-9 Signature. Sample taken at 58500 km on the odometer.

There is a suspected internal coolant leak. No other symptoms of an external coolant leak.
Uh ohh.. Well I guess at this point best you can do is keep a close eye on coolant levels, watch for white smoke from your exhaust... At least you're still under warranty. Thank goodness for Canadian Mazda's having unlimited mileage warranties.

Uh ohh.. Well I guess at this point best you can do is keep a close eye on coolant levels, watch for white smoke from your exhaust... At least you're still under warranty. Thank goodness for Canadian Mazda's having unlimited mileage warranties.

Yeah the unlimited warranty sure is nice. I'll continue to monitor levels. I've also got the engine oil temp on display at all times now, lol.

I'm going to do one more UoA since the last one was free. My next oil change is in 3000kms. After that, I'll contact Mazda and we'll take it from there.

This coolant leak issue on the 2.5T should be a concern for all 2.5T owners. It seems to be a potential problem after 3 ~ 5 years mostly caused by cracked cylinder block.

Poll: 2.5T Coolant Leak/Engine Replacement. What can be done to prevent?

Another UOA, 12k on engine. 6k on the oil. Dealer did the last change with Valvoline 5W-30. 2.5L Turbo references are on the far right.

Attachments

• UOA redacted.pdf
    936.4 KB · Views: 112
Sharing an experience with Rotella 5w-30 (multi-vehicle).

This oil turned out to be particularly good for engines with dilution. Got a hint from WRX forums and got repro on both of my cars. Rotella results marked with red:

1: 2015 WRX started to show diluted analysis after a Stage1 protune.
2: 2019 CX9 - dilution issue started from 5k miles, well described here ) To mitigate the issue I used to run very short intervals and was consistently getting low viscosity within 2200 miles. Now I can get back to 5k intervals or even longer. Amazing.
cx9_rotella.png
wrx_rotella.png

The Rotella 5w-30 is pricey, but exactly in November Nappa runs a special.

Sharing an experience with Rotella 5w-30 (multi-vehicle).

This oil turned out to be particularly good for engines with dilution. Got a hint from WRX forums and got repro on both of my cars. Rotella results marked with red:

1: 2015 WRX started to show diluted analysis after a Stage1 protune.
2: 2019 CX9 - dilution issue started from 5k miles, well described here ) To mitigate the issue I used to run very short intervals and was consistently getting low viscosity within 2200 miles. Now I can get back to 5k intervals or even longer. Amazing.View attachment 314330View attachment 314331

The Rotella 5w-30 is pricey, but exactly in November Nappa runs a special.
Lol similar results but I switched to amsoil 5w-30 boosted from their signature. Why? It had a higher viscosity at the higher temperature testing point. I do 5k changes. Their boosted product is also cheaper than their signature product line. So win win.

Did you contact Mazda about this? I’ve been meaning to.

the XL amsoil is also Api sp certified (vs signature which is not) so thats a win for warranty purposes as well. Very good oil indeed.
Btw the fuel dillution is more visible when driving with 87 fuel.

the XL amsoil is also Api sp certified (vs signature which is not) so thats a win for warranty purposes as well. Very good oil indeed.
Btw the fuel dillution is more visible when driving with 87 fuel.
Oh that’s interesting on the fuel difference. Not gonna switch but I wonder why?

Back