2.2L CX-5 Diesel head gasket blown...DIY fix?

Hi, just found out that the head gasket is gone. No warranty because of age 2013 and km 202000. I have owned the car for 5 years and I never had any problems with it. Here is Norway they want kr 65000 thats USD 7800 to fix it. So I want to try to fix this myself. I have been looking for some repair manuals with torq information but I cannot find any.

Is there someone who can help me with this?

look on the UK ebay, they have lots of workshop repair manuals for your model 2013-2017. You have to buy one. Haynes Publisher also probably has one. Its popular in Europe.
You wont find much here because in US there was never a diesel cx5 from those years.

Last edited:
Thank you soooo much, this was perfect.🤩
I have one more question: I know I need to plan (resurface) the head, but will I need to plan(resurface) the engine block as well?

That I do not know @Mazda CX-5 N . It's been 30 years since I've built / worked on engine internals. There are some folks on this board who know much more than I. @edmaz ? @felixd ? Others I can't think of?

If you wouldn't mind, stop back here and let us know how the repair is going. I for one would be interested since a repair like this *may* possibly be in my future one day.

Thanks, sure I will.
If I need to plan the block as well, I guess it will be a better option to try to purchase a used longblock engine.

Thank you soooo much, this was perfect.🤩
I have one more question: I know I need to plan (resurface) the head, but will I need to plan(resurface) the engine block as well?
You don’t really need “resurface” or “shave” either cylinder block or cylinder head unless they have corrosion damages or have deformed due to overheating. Cleaning up both surfaces should be sufficient. But you don’t really know until you take the cylinder head out. Most likely you’ll need “resurface” or “shave” your cylinder head with a new head, because that’s how you have to fix it when the head gasket is blown. Based on CX-5 diesel owners’ experience in Taiwan who are having the same overheating problem, the cylinder head usually cracked and a new head is needed. Some have block damage along with the head, and entire engine needs to be replaced. Their experience with resurfaced or shaved cylinder block with a new head is not good. With higher compression ratio coming with the shaved cylinder block, usually the engine would fail again in short period of time. The government of Taiwan has forced Mazda Taiwan to warranty all diesel engines FOREVER and they have to give the owner a new engine if the overheating problem happens. I believe this’s the reason why Mazda Taiwan has stopped importing all popular diesel models into Taiwan since 2019 MY. The fix by shaving the cylinder block with new head and head gasket simply is not an acceptable fix as the root of problem is still there.

If I were you, I’d find a used working 2.2L diesel engine, then sell the CX-5 ASAP.

You don’t really need “resurface” or “shave” either cylinder block or cylinder head unless they have corrosion damages or have deformed due to overheating. Cleaning up both surfaces should be sufficient. But you don’t really know until you take the cylinder head out. Most likely you’ll need “resurface” or “shave” your cylinder head with a new head, because that’s how you have to fix it when the head gasket is blown. Based on CX-5 diesel owners’ experience in Taiwan who are having the same overheating problem, the cylinder head usually cracked and a new head is needed. Some have block damage along with the head, and entire engine needs to be replaced. Their experience with resurfaced or shaved cylinder block with a new head is not good. With higher compression ratio coming with the shaved cylinder block, usually the engine would fail again in short period of time. The government of Taiwan has forced Mazda Taiwan to warranty all diesel engines FOREVER and they have to give the owner a new engine if the overheating problem happens. I believe this’s the reason why Mazda Taiwan has stopped importing all popular diesel models into Taiwan since 2019 MY. The fix by shaving the cylinder block with new head and head gasket simply is not an acceptable fix as the root of problem is still there.

If I were you, I’d find a used working 2.2L diesel engine, then sell the CX-5 ASAP.
Thanks, I don't understand why the gasket has blown, the engine has not overheated, the car is my wife's daily driver and she drives it carefully. I have been checking to get a new engine but those are in high demand and are hard to find. I found engines in UK, but that would be my last choice to import from another country, not really knowing what we will receive. I think I will just start to take it apart and see where it ends.

Thanks, I don't understand why the gasket has blown, the engine has not overheated, the car is my wife's daily driver and she drives it carefully. I have been checking to get a new engine but those are in high demand and are hard to find. I found engines in UK, but that would be my last choice to import from another country, not really knowing what we will receive. I think I will just start to take it apart and see where it ends.
Diesel is a dying breed on passenger cars in Europe. It’s something you don’t want to keep in the longer term and you want to get rid of it when you still can.

If you’re capable of DIY tearing apart the engine, and you have the time to do it, that definitely is the best way to save money and get the problem fixed (temporarily). One thing we can’t see is whether or not you need to shave the cylinder block until you remove the cylinder head and verify the damage. If that’s the case, you need to take the engine out that is a much bigger task.

Keep in mind that the sudden overheating problem on your SkyActiv-D 2.2L diesel is a very common problem and it comes without any warnings. The coolant temperature warning light would never be lit when the overheating on your 2.2L diesel is happening. You might not know it was happening and your head gasket was blown because of it.

From what I’ve read from Taiwan about this overheating problem, Mazda can never provide any information about the root cause of the issue, although they did admit the new 2.2L they use to replace the failed one under lifetime warranty has some modification to it.

Back