2.0L 4cyl (FS-ZE) engine swap???

Hey, I'm getting my FS-ZE this week. I'm just curious to see if there have been any more solutions of problems discovered since this forum was last visited ? I'm planning on running it in my MSP. I have the UNICHIP and was planning on getting it tuned. Is the UNICHIP tunible to the levels that will be needed to get this running right or will I need to go with something else ?

its more of a NA motor if you ask me. the compression is around 10.7 and it is going to be hard for the motor not to knock with forced induction. plus the rods are just as weak as the fs de. there is no point in what you are doing unless you keep it NA

hey guys I just did the swap like yesterday (fs-ze) and my car is running fine well not really, on the stock ecu, and the JDM ecu is not a direct plug and play. Does anybody know how to wire one?

I do believe the FS-ZE ecu is ODB1 and everything in the US is ODB2. I remember seeing the only way to get the ECU to work is to pull out every single wiring harness that came with the car and then get all the japanese ones and put those in. Dunno if any of the other sensors or whatever else is plugged in there will work tho.

wtf 3 year old thread?

Last edited:
Hey, I'm getting my FS-ZE this week. I'm just curious to see if there have been any more solutions of problems discovered since this forum was last visited ? I'm planning on running it in my MSP. I have the UNICHIP and was planning on getting it tuned. Is the UNICHIP tunible to the levels that will be needed to get this running right or will I need to go with something else ?

this is a terrible idea for exactly the reasons listed. the compression is far too high for any kind of turbocharging. i don't care if you have a unichip, a microtech, a haltech, a split second or the almighty father tuning your protege. you will not be able to run any amount of boost without blowing this engine to pieces.

If you want to see any good power, you will want to run methanol injection with that kind of compression.

or u can grow balls and swap in the Mazdaspeed 3 engine into that protege 5 and smoke all those kids who want to race ur secret beast protege speed3 car. ^_^

Balls, an extra set of brains, the ability to miraculously wire that complicated beast into a Proty, and a whole truckload of money.

We've finally got the Unichip Q to completely control fuel... unfortunately, that's with the OBDI engine with the O2 sensor unplugged to remove the closed loop region. The Q also has a delimiter option to free up those extra rpms, but that's a separate module and may not be available with Stateside vendors. If your current Unichip has the proper options, you can actually use it to modify your O2 output to trim closed loop AF, but I think the MSP Unichip is a generation older than mine.

But your main problem, as KRM pointed out, is that the FSZE is a high compression engine better suited to an NA build than a turbocharged build. If you can get it running right, it'll work, yes, but you'll need to have your Unichip reprogrammed with a less aggressive timing map, and you'll have to tiptoe around the high compression to make power.

You could probably hold 200 whp on an FSZE, and the high comp should help make it responsive, but if you're planning on making more power, the stock FSDET you've got is probably a better engine, overall.

Take that FSZE, strip the cams and stick them in (more air is always more air, right?), and sell the rest to someone else.

Last edited:
Thank you to everyone for all the input. I was realy looking at doing the swap because I found one cheaper than I can find a decent stock US engine in my area. I'm not looking to poor a whole lot of money into the swap so I'll probly just go ahead and order a FS-DE to replace my FD-DET and swap out the cams. My engine now is blown and I realy just need to get the car back on the road. I was just weighing my options and seeing if I could build it up for the same money. I guess if it was that easy, everyone would be running the JDM version. Thanks again for all the input.

P.S. If anyone has a good deal on an FS-DE within driving distance of Baltimore, hit me up.

hey guys iam just getting into this tuner scene. does anyone know where i could get a FS.ZE ECU

Awesome thread! OK so after long drawn out drama with this car, I managed to get another FS-DE in my P5... However after consulting with the mechanic who did the swap, and what's been said here, I think I have an FS-ZE, minus the intake mani, ECU, cat. converter, and wire harness(s). Reading this thread made all the pieces seem to fit...

The engine runs great, (around 42k miles), and is in fact a little more powerful. However I'm not concerned about getting the power that I paid for (I just want a working car), but rather a check engine light that came on recently. It came on under regular driving conditions accompanied with no noticeable changes in performance or sound or etc. Is this just the USDM ECU freaking out, or should I go and get a code pulled? Anyone else have this problem?

**BTW: The mechanic got this new motor as a "JDM FS-DE," but from what I've read, there is no such thing as a JDM FS-DE?

Last edited:
Awesome thread! OK so after long drawn out drama with this car, I managed to get another FS-DE in my P5... However after consulting with the mechanic who did the swap, and what's been said here, I think I have an FS-ZE, minus the intake mani, ECU, cat. converter, and wire harness(s). Reading this thread made all the pieces seem to fit...

The engine runs great, (around 42k miles), and is in fact a little more powerful. However I'm not concerned about getting the power that I paid for (I just want a working car), but rather a check engine light that came on recently. It came on under regular driving conditions accompanied with no noticeable changes in performance or sound or etc. Is this just the USDM ECU freaking out, or should I go and get a code pulled? Anyone else have this problem?

**BTW: The mechanic got this new motor as a "JDM FS-DE," but from what I've read, there is no such thing as a JDM FS-DE?

Sorry to burst your bubble, but I HIGHLY DOUBT that you have an FS-ZE engine.

I have yet to see an FS-ZE engine sold without the intake manifold. This was one of the unique features of the ZE engine and they rarely separate the two (unless the motor is blown).

There are definitely JDM FS-DE engines. They are slightly different to the USDM engine in that the JDM FS-DE has a 9.7:1 static compression ratio, whereas the USDM version has 9.0 or 9.1:1 compression (not sure exactly which one).

So yes, you would feel a slight increase in power due to the slightly higher compression. However, it is not the 10.4:1 compression that the ZE engine has. This increase in compression would probably also explain the CEL.

Don't be too disappointed, as there would not be too many of the US guys running around with 9.7:1 compression :)

I have the jspec motor. It has the Japanese vin and everything. It came with approximately 43,000 miles. How do I find out if I have the jspec manifold and j spec ecu ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My car runs hard but I honestly don't know what computer I have. Any ideas ?

I'm 95 % ur running the stock ecu because swapping from obd2 to obd1 is a pain and not many ppl want to go that route. Jspec fsze had a black plastic chamber in top of the intake manifold.

Their are also fsde's from Japan too so ideally if you wanted the ze you would looking for the black box on the intake manifold, and the different casting marks on the cams.

Okay. Well I was planning on buying the mp3 flashed ecu from spicy orange , would it work the same on my motor ?

The mp3 ecu is plug n play so if you can loosen some bolts you can swap an ecu just fine.

PS your car better be a manual because the mp3 ecu won't work on an auto

Back