1st gen CX-9 transmission protection?

Hello. Colleagues, can you describe how to check the condition of the oil in the automatic transmission? Is the filler cap under the air filter? 2 years ago I changed the oil in a dynamic way. Please help. My Mazda is from 2008 and I have an oil dipstick.

With drain plug, you can not change all of fluid. Also, CX9 does not use regular ATF. you should buy it at dealer or online. driver manual has information for fluid. i read an article before i changed my transmission oil said " no additive in cx9 fluid. use same type of fluid."

changing the transmission fluid
1- remove the air filter box
2- open the filler plug
3- lift the vehicle on level
4- open the small hex plug then open the leveler tube. ( i dont remember the sizes)
5- drain the fluid
6- close the leveler tube then small hex plug ( if small plug rusted, you may need to buy new one, mine seized)
7- fill around 5qt of fresh fluid and close the filler plug
8- adaptation: turn ignation on (with out engine starts), move the gear knob on each mode. R - N - D. every mode wait couple of sec. do it 2 times.
9- start the engine, press the brake pedal and do #8.
10 - drive the vehicle about 1 mile with low RPM and make sure use triptronic.
11- park your car and keep engine running.
12- lift the vehicle
13- open the small plug and get over filled amount.
14- until fluid comes out like spit out, then close the small plug
15- all done.
Hello. Colleagues, can you describe how to check the condition of the oil in the automatic transmission? Is the filler cap under the air filter? 2 years ago I changed the oil in a dynamic way. Please help. My Mazda is from 2008 and I have an oil dipstick.

The easiest way to check is to wipe the dipstick on a clean white cloth and compare the color with a new ATF from the bottle on a similar cloth. If it's dark brown, black or contains particles for example than change it.

The easiest way to check is to wipe the dipstick on a clean white cloth and compare the color with a new ATF from the bottle on a similar cloth. If it's dark brown, black or contains particles for example than change it.
Thank you for your answer. I mean how to check the oil level. My fluid is clean and has 15,000 miles since the change.

Start the engine and worm it up to operation temperature. Move the shifter to all the gears for 1 second each. Do it 2 times and return to park. With engine running remove the dipstick and wipe it clean. Insert and check again. The level should be near the upper notche.

I do not know how to check fluid level on cx9. My car does not have a dipstick and dip stick hole. I found a cap and tube nearby the transmission but i do not know what is it for

No need to check the atf level if you don't have any leak from the transmission. But incase of drain and fill, there is a small drain plug inside a larger drain plug under the transmission, you remove the small and the big plugs to drain the atf than you fill with both plugs in place. Drive for few minutes and after the atf reach operation temperature, remove the small plug to let the extra atf drain out. So the small plug is the level indicator at about 60 degrees Celsius.

Install the actual OEM transmission under the hood conventional dipstick assembly like I did as a DIY. Then you can frequently examine the color of the fluid on the dipstick and if it's not a clear pink keep changing it at 1,000 mile intervals until it becomes clear and pink, the new fluid goes in from the top through the dipstick tube like it always used to be done. Drain the fluid obviously from underneath, reinstall the plug
assembly, drain all the used fluid into a one gallon water or milk jug, make sure the fluid is at ambient temperature, set an identical empty jug next to the jug with the used fluid and add the new fluid into the empty jug until is is just a little bit less than the used fluid jug, about 1/4" lower,
then put the new fluid right from the jug into the transmission from the top, it could not possibly be any easier than this. Until you install the OEM dipstick assembly, add the new fluid through the fill plug located on the top of the transmission under the hood.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back