1980 RX-7 | What is this baby worth?

Schymanski

:
Mazda, rx7, base 1980
I am looking at purchasing a 1980 RX7 with 87000 miles, the car has a light blue metallic paint with one spot on the drivers door. The first owner put in turbo. The current owner has kept it garaged. The car runs but the brakes are not working. The over all condition for the exterior is above average and the interior is average. I am seeing prices all over the place on what this car is worth. Any input much appreciated.

Any pictures or links to pictures? Clean '79/80 RX7 are starting to go up in price as they're now being considered collector's cars. In that segment modifications typically hurt the value of the car unless they are well known and installed by a reputable shop. Any more details on the turbocharger setup?

I'd make him fix the brakes and then I'd test drive it before I bought a 35 year old RX-7. ESPECIALLY one that's been modded with a turbocharger. After that I'd start thinking about price.
Don't forget these have a completely different engine than most cars and specialty mechanics are never cheap. A guy with a Ferrari stopped to check out my FD at the track the other day...he told me that RX-7 owners make great future Ferrari owners because we're used to pouring money into our cars.
lol, screw that guy. (rei)

Last edited:
Without seeing it, and with bad brakes, and aftermarket turbo... $2000-$3500
seeing it and confirming all original paint, and perhaps a period correct turbo unit, good compression, brakes fixed, and above avg condition, window sticker, records, etc... $3500-$5000.

I also believe that these prices will increase ~25% over the next 5 years.

20150606_132218_zps7ubjxqes.jpg
20150606_132155_zpsfsv74ijj.jpg
20150606_132143_zpscsafe1mu.jpg
20150606_132355_zpsmzdv8ffc.jpg
20150606_132351_zps7ii4ebkl.jpg

From those pictures, it appears that the car just has a special carb/ air filter, not a turbo... also looks like it has been repainted, it was maybe silver before>?

Also, looking in the engine bay, the COLD START ASSIST Reservoir tank, I can not tell if it is wiper washer fluid, or ethylene glycol mix...

Last edited:
Back