'18 CX-9 and Fortin Remote Car Starter...Success!

Just signed up for this forum to say this worked great on my '17 GT save for one issue I can't figure out... When I remote start, the lift gate won't open from the key fob. It will open manually, but I'd like to be able to use the fob to open the lift gate after remote starting. Anyone else run into/resolve this issue?

Just signed up for this forum to say this worked great on my '17 GT save for one issue I can't figure out... When I remote start, the lift gate won't open from the key fob. It will open manually, but I'd like to be able to use the fob to open the lift gate after remote starting. Anyone else run into/resolve this issue?
Mine does the same, I just checked. I will write to Fortin and see what they say, and update you.

had to cancel the appointment to have the remote start installed at the shop because the guy Is I’ll. Sucks, but reschedules for the 29th to see.
has anyone had their fort in device installed at bestbuy?

Mine does the same, I just checked. I will write to Fortin and see what they say, and update you.
From Fortin:
Trunk open is not a feature of the module in data: https://fortin.ca/download/68271/evo-one_ig_thr_bi_maz3-cx9-cx3-mx5_pts_2014-2017_1key_a_68271.pdf
Page 1 says it does trunk status which means position of the pin switch but does not mentioned trunk open.

If you wanted the trunk to open remotely, you would need to wire in the aux output from the module, to the vehicles wire that opens the trunk. This would only work from an aftermarket remote.

I bought the three fortin components from amazon, they arrived yesterday. I am a little nervous about installing as I am new to doing this type of work on a car. My car is a 2019 CX-9 T. Just want to make sure that I won't have issues after installation, such as issues with windows or using trunk liftgate remotely? Can anyone verify this for me? Thanks in advance.

No issues at all with any of these functions. You will need to reset your windows automatic up down function after the installation. The procedure to reset that function is very simple and mentioned previously in this thread.

I bought the three fortin components from amazon, they arrived yesterday. I am a little nervous about installing as I am new to doing this type of work on a car. My car is a 2019 CX-9 T. Just want to make sure that I won't have issues after installation, such as issues with windows or using trunk liftgate remotely? Can anyone verify this for me? Thanks in advance.
All 4 windows need to be reset individually by rolling it down all way and holding it there for a couple of seconds, and rolling it up all the way back up and holding it there for a couple of seconds.

Trunk will not open with remote control keyfob when remotely started, but works when not remotely started.

At work i must be about 350 feet from the car ( very rough estimate) and it starts with no issues. You need to be able to see the car lights to confirm if it has registered the lock-unlock command though. Otherwise you are just guessing and hoping it started. If you don’t have line of sight you probably need a two-way remote that will confirm to you the car had started.

At work i must be about 350 feet from the car ( very rough estimate) and it starts with no issues. You need to be able to see the car lights to confirm if it has registered the lock-unlock command though. Otherwise you are just guessing and hoping it started. If you don’t have line of sight you probably need a two-way remote that will confirm to you the car had started.

Thanks Youri. sounds like a gd range, but wonder if it can be longer. Iam too hesitant to try to do it on my own, and found a place that will be doing it for my. They will be using a compuStar module For the remote start w oem fobs, and I’ll pay a bit extra for the linkr system they showed me that I can control the car from the app on my phone/ tablet. Have an apt for next week. All still would be cheaper than the quote I originally received from Mazda for them to install the basic remote Start. Definitely cheaper than a lot of local places in my region which are a rip off.

That’s great. Dealer definitely overcharge for those accessory install. The phone app is perfect for when hou park 5-6 block away. Even if the oem remote would reach, you probably wouldn’t be able to know if it was successful until you walked up to the car.

That’s great. Dealer definitely overcharge for those accessory install. The phone app is perfect for when hou park 5-6 block away. Even if the oem remote would reach, you probably wouldn’t be able to know if it was successful until you walked up to the car.

once I get it done I want to test it one day and see if it would reach a 5 block radius cause that would be awesome for me. Dealer prices are crazy but can you believe the most expensive prices I received were from local shops that I guess are pretentious with their quote because reviews quote their jobs to be subpar. I mean one place was charging me $400 just for a remote start plus $400 more if I wanted a smart phone feature. I told them their delusional lol

Hi all,

I finally just got my remote start installed. Consequently I did not go w/ fortin but Viper and the smart start. They were running a promotion on the shop where I went and haggled a bit and got all for $330 Which allows me to start my car with the oem fobs, and also the viper smart start app which allows you start the cx9 from anywhere in the world in addition to lock/ unlock, rear lift gate, etc. so far I am very pleasEd and I guess it’s cheaper than mazda who wanted $550 plus taxes for remote start.

Last edited:
Hi all,

I finally just got my remote start installed. Consequently I did not go w/ fortin but Viper and the smart start. They were running a promotion on the shop where I went and haggled a bit and got all for $320 Which allows me to start my car with the oem fobs, and also the viper smart start app which allows you start the cx9 from anywhere in the world in addition to lock/ unlock, rear lift gate, etc. so far I am very pleasEd and I guess it’s cheaper than mazda who wanted $550 plus taxes for remote start.
Can you give me details I what exactly you purchased and what the cost was? also do you have to pay any subscriptions for the app?

Thank

Can you give me details I what exactly you purchased and what the cost was? also do you have to pay any subscriptions for the app?

Thank

Sure. Idk if your on the tread “what did you do to your cx9 today,” but I mentioned it in detail their. Total cost was 330 for everything w the install and would have been more but I haggled w them and promised them future business (want a kenwood dual fashion cam they had, but been so busy at work). They were running a promotion at the time so I just went with it. Their basic remote start was 150. The items were a t harness that’s required for Mazda, the viper remote start system ds4, and the viper pro smart start module w 5-FREE yrs of service.
I posted more details on that other thread where some members also inquired about this should you need any other details. I’ll take pics of the boxes if you want also to give u an idea but the ds4 and smart start alone are over $385 soafter research and inquiries I know I got a great deal and to date I have noting but praise because life is so much easier w it.

Has anyone installed the extra antenna in order to use the Fortin mobile remote start app? A local distributor mentioned that Fortin doesn’t charge a yearly fee so I’m seriously considering this. Will cost me about $520 CAD for the remote start unit, t harness, programmer and mobile app antenna (Evo start 2).

Last edited:
Installed the Fortin on my 2019 Touring. All went smooth EXCEPT for one thing. After learning the key code the remote start would not work. Called Fortin and they had me try my 2nd remote and it worked. Apparently the Fortin module will only recognize the codes of the 1st and 2nd remotes that are programmed into the system so if you have 4 remotes for the car only the first 2 that are stored in the cars memory will control the auto start even though they function with the car correctly. I have the software to program fobs so I erased all the strored fobs, there were 3 of them stored, programmed the 2 fobs that I have and now the remote start works with both fobs. Next up is the installation of the Drone Mobile module so I can remote start from my phone.
When you say Drone Mobile, is that the same as the Evo Start 2 antenna?

Sorry to revive this thread...

But I bought the EVO One (and flash link) with the THAR-ONE-MAZ3 harness for my 2020 cx-9.

The remote start works fine but although it was advertised as “plug and play”, if I wanted to use the optional running lights feature, I would still need to splice into wires.

Do I need to go back to the Amazon seller and get a corrected harness? Or does everyone else skip the running light option since that requires splicing?

Back