0W20 for 2020 CX-5 GTR?

Eric

2020 CX-5 GTR
Hi there. I just got first oil change for my 2020 CX-5 GTR at the dealer today. I noticed that they use 0W20 instead of 5W30 (according to the owner manual).

Would it be ok for that?

No, it's too thin for the Turbo engine IMO. Other turbo engines, such as the Acura RDX's 2.0T use 0W-20, but I'd stick to 5W-30 for the added film strength. I'd go to an independent shop and ask them to put in the proper oil.

I never go to the dealer for non warranty work.

Upvote 0
Hi there. I just got first oil change for my 2020 CX-5 GTR at the dealer today. I noticed that they use 0W20 instead of 5W30 (according to the owner manual).

Would it be ok for that?
This happened before by Mazda dealers. And usually the dealer is willing to re-do the oil change with new filter as the oil in filter can’t get replaced without changing it. Call the services manager even the GM of the dealer and demand them to correct their mistake.

Upvote 1
This happened before by Mazda dealers. And usually the dealer is willing to re-do the oil change with new filter as the oil in filter can’t get replaced without changing it. Call the services manager even the GM of the dealer and demand them to correct their mistake.

^ Exactly this. The manual specifies 5W-30 oil for the 2.5 turbo. They messed up and put in oil for the non-turbo engine instead. Contact service manager and GM asap to rectify the issue, and if you get any sort of pushback, go straight to Mazda Corporate. You can cite the Owner's Manual here:

Capture.JPG

I would avoid using this dealer for any future service/warranty work if possible.

Upvote 0
Keep a close eye on these guys!

I can see it now.

You go in and complain and the next thing you know, the service manager says that after speaking with the service tech it turns out that the tech did use the correct oil but reported it as 0w-20 on the form.

Yeah, right...

Another reason to do it yourself.

Upvote 0
Keep a close eye on these guys!

I can see it now.

You go in and complain and the next thing you know, the service manager says that after speaking with the service tech it turns out that the tech did use the correct oil but reported it as 0w-20 on the form.

Yeah, right...

Another reason to do it yourself.

Yeah, this would make me wary as well. I'd prefer to have the oil changed at a different shop, then have the dealership foot the bill, but that's something the dealership probably wouldn't agree to.

Upvote 0
Geez. The problem with dealer free oil changes. Did they give you an invoice noting the oil grade? That would be good to retain for the long term in the ( unlikely) case of future issues.
It won't ruin the engine immediately by having it in the engine. In fact with this weather there could be some advantage to using it, but it might be too thin when thoroughly warmed up. In that case you could add an oil thickener, but if I were planning any long drives I would change it. Personally, I would change it myself but that's just me, I guess. It takes a significant amount of highway miles for the oil to reach high temperatures, and 0w is thicker at cooler temperatures than 30 weight oil is in the highway.
I think using a thinner oil like 0w20 calls for a higher quality brand that is more heat resistant, while cheaper 5w30 oils have that more naturally. Dealers tend to use cheaper oils which don't last as long in service but if the oil is certified you should be protected. They probably use 0w20 because the NA Skyactive engines call for it ( yet I use 5w30 in mine). I've also heard of dealers that use 5w30 instead of the recommended 0w20.

In short, get it changed sometime soon, and consider your relationship with that dealer.

Upvote 1
CHANGE IT ASAP. Let the dealer correct their mistake. The smal amount of oil in the filter will not make any difference. The change to 5w30 oil is a must. Ed
The oil filter contains about 0.2 ~ 0.5 quart of oil which can’t be drained out. However it’s small amount it will dilute the fresh 5W-30 oil. In fact based on the report here the other Mazda dealer who made the same mistake did change the oil with oil filter after the complain. If I were the OP I’d ask for oil filter replacement with the correct 5W-30 full synthetic oil, and a formal invoice printed.

Upvote 0
They probably use 0w20 because the NA Skyactive engines call for it ( yet I use 5w30 in mine). I've also heard of dealers that use 5w30 instead of the recommended 0w20.
Using 5W-30 oil in 2.0L and 2.5L is perfectly fine. 5W-30 viscosity is recommended for 2.0L / 2.5L by Mazda worldwide except in US and Canada.

Upvote 0
I always pre-fill my oil filters when doing an oil change. I add a few ounces, swirl it around which absorbs it into the pleats, and then add oil until the filter is almost full.
No way does that little Mazda filter hold 16 oz. of oil. Maybe 8 to 10 oz..
I would ask the dealer to change the oil and the filter and use the correct 5W-30 synthetic, but if they balk at changing the filter I wouldn't be too concerned.

Upvote 0
The oil filter contains about 0.2 ~ 0.5 quart of oil which can’t be drained out. However it’s small amount it will dilute the fresh 5W-30 oil. In fact based on the report here the other Mazda dealer who made the same mistake did change the oil with oil filter after the complain. If I were the OP I’d ask for oil filter replacement with the correct 5W-30 full synthetic oil, and a formal invoice printed.

@Eric, another thing to note about the filter is the fact that the non-turbo filter is not the same as the 2.5 turbo filter. They have separate part numbers. If the dealer put in the wrong oil, they may have also used the wrong filter. Another reason to push for an oil and filter change.

The filter part number should be listed on the invoice you received. Correct P/N for the 2.5 turbo OEM oil filter is 1WPY-14-302 (which supersedes the now discontinued PY8W-14-302).

Upvote 0
@Eric, another thing to note about the filter is the fact that the non-turbo filter is not the same as the 2.5 turbo filter. They have separate part numbers. If the dealer put in the wrong oil, they may have also used the wrong filter. Another reason to push for an oil and filter change.

The filter part number should be listed on the invoice you received. Correct P/N for the 2.5 turbo OEM oil filter is 1WPY-14-302 (which supersedes the now discontinued PY8W-14-302).
Yes, this’s an excellent point getting the oil filter replaced! The dealer may also put wrong oil filter which is for 2.5L as they put wrong oil which is for 2.5L in a 2.5T.

Upvote 0
The turbo works with the exhaust, making the oil lubricating it hotter, another reason to use a high quality synthetic oil.

I don't really enjoy changing my own oil, but I find the job easier on my Cx5 than any other car I've owned, and I can be sure I'm using the right type of products.

Upvote 0
No, it's too thin for the Turbo engine IMO. Other turbo engines, such as the Acura RDX's 2.0T use 0W-20, but I'd stick to 5W-30 for the added film strength. I'd go to an independent shop and ask them to put in the proper oil.

Upvote 0

Will it harm the engine?

Upvote 0
I contacted the service advisor back the same day, he told me that the technician noticed that it was the wrong kind of oil on the service order so he did put in the right kind but didn't correct it on the paperwork. I had many bad experience with car dealers. Since customers are not allowed in the shop so it's kind of hard to prove if they actually did what they told us.

Upvote 0

Latest posts

Back