07 vs 08 hp

:
CX9 Sig CX5 Sig
Are those 10 extra ponies that noticeable? It is the same engine correct? I'm looking at an 07 for the wife, but just noticed that it was rated at 263hp compared to 273hp for the 08 and 09.

Last edited:
Are those 10 extra ponies that noticeable? It is the same engine correct? I'm looking at an 07 for the wife, but just noticed that it was rated at 263hp compared to 273hp for the 08 and 09.

I would assume an 08 wouldn't be that much more than an 07. If I'm buying used, I would probably avoid the first model year and get an 08 or 09. Besides the upgraded 3.7 from 3.5, the 3.7 engine is manuf. by Mazda in Japan as opposed to Ford in US. It's not saying Japan labor is superior to UAW, but if that perception is important to you, then you should consider an 08 and up.

I wouldn't care too much about 10hp esp when you are up in the 260 range.

Thanks for the feedback. I actually came across an 08 while looking last night at the same dealer I'm test driving the 07 at. I have plans to go this afternoon and I'll definitely be taking both out for a spin.

Well, it is really a trade-off.
You get about 5% increase in hp and torque while you pay at the pump.
Though the EPA rating maybe similar, but the 08/09 will have lower MPG especially in city - hurts even more when idling at the light. It is painful for me to see MPG dropping while waiting at the red lights.

Besides, if you really care about performance, take the FWD. AWD is usually slower (due to extra 200lb and powertrain loss) unless you got 500hp to put to the ground. That is another story.

MPG will drop on any vehicle running but stationary so it is not just the 08/09 CX9s but all cars. I personally would rather have the ponies and torque for when I need it. I do not think the extra ponies/tq will have an adverse effect on MPG if you drive the same if you had the 10 less. Of course you maybe tempted to keep your foot in the pedal a bit more because of the extra power but if not, I bet in the real world both engines will give comparable if not so close to equal results.

The 21 lbs of torque increase in the 08/09 MY is worth it much more then the horsepower especially since the torque increase is at a lower RPM. You feel torque, you do not feel horsepower.

Get the newer MY with the 3.7L.

Didn't get to go test drive as planned. That actually gave the wife more time to look into the CX-9 since she never heard of it. Before she just wanted me to find her something that could haul us, our 2 year old son and two dogs around and that had decent power, decent gas mileage and was not a mini-van. Well she called this morning about how she and her coworkers really liked the looks and when was I going to go for a test drive. Now she wants me to also look at the 2009. She's pretty pumped about it and has all the finances in order if we decide to buy soon. She has never been like this, but she likes this car even though neither of us has even driven it yet. I have to admit is very attractive car and I like what I've read about it. So definitely tomorrow I will be taking them for a test drive or I'm not going to hear the last of it.

It is a great looking car, drives even better and has got options up the ass. Just make sure your expectations for "decent gas mileage" are around 15 mpg's or so, if you're lucky, unlike me who averages about 14 with my '08 AWD.

I was thinking awd, but we're not in Minnesota anymore so FWD will suffice. Her current suv takes premium and has a worse mpg average than the CX-9 so going to 87 octane with better mpg is a no brainer.

Also make sure you take it to some irregular roads during the test drive. The ride is pretty harsh generally speaking. Of course this greatly depends on what car you are coming from. But usually the "wife" will like a smoother and quieter riding vehicle .. Toyota/Lexus.

Personally, I would get an AWD. I see you are in Texas but the premium over FWD is less than $2k. Sure you pay a penalty of maybe 2MPG (unless you live in Arizona - side joke), but for a SUV, most people expect it to be AWD esp come time for trade-in or selling. Even more so if you think you'll be travelling to some snowy states.

Last edited:
No need for an AWD drive in Texas. Yeah parts of Texas get snow but a fwd vehicle can easily handle that minimal slushy mess. Save the money and go for the fwd unit. Put the extra 2k in your kids college fund.

I guess if you are certain you are going to be in TX all your life and not move to the rust belt again, by all means get the FWD. Quick peek shows it being $1.4k more actually (invoice price comparison).

It's really a personally preference having lived in MI for over 18 yrs. Even if I move to TX or the Sahara, I would still get AWD.

FWD did me just fine in the Minneapolis winters. You want to buy AWD or FWD up there with a nice set of snow tires. When I got an AWD I realized it was useless unless I had some decent snow tires. As for the rain I can see your point and it may come in handy with the wife who drives her SUV like it was a Miata.

Make sure you go over the Purchasing a CX-9 for prices paid.

For valuation, I havent seen lightning bolt deals on 08s (after you consider mileage/price/warranty). Heck, in a few cases the 08 were selling (un-negotiated) 1-2K more than new. Unless of course, you get the 10K off new 08s (but those are gone by now). The theres the instance (I think around here) where someone picked up one with 3K miles for ~$18K.
If anything, hindsight appears that 08 wasnt the best year to buy new comparing 08-selling and 09-new prices.

Ditto on an AWD for an SUV/CUV type vehicle. My brother is in Houston and has a 4x2 Expedition, and (sometimes) regrets not getting the 4x4.

The wife works for ExxonMobile and they get some kind of discount plus I have a Mazda already so the loyalty discount will kick in as well. Leaving in an hour to go test drive.

Got to test drive an 07 and 08. I really enjoyed the ride. For the weight and size I was surprised how well it handled. The 6 speed transmission was very smooth and this car has some good pickup that I know the wife is going to be really impressed with. I had plenty of room and was very comfortable in the driver and passenger seat. I couldn't tell a difference in HP, but then again I only drove them for 15-20 minutes each. The 20" tires didn't make the ride seem harsh at all so I was happy and impressed with that as well. The wife is giddy I liked it, but she leaves for Virginia tomorrow so the earliest she can test drive one will be this weekend. I wouldn't be surprised is she came home in the CX-9 Saturday. I'm going to test drive an 09 tomorrow since I ran out of time today.

I would say the OP will probably end up getting a new 09 if they do decide to get a CX-9. Unless you are paying cash, financing terms on new is definitely better. In the long run, you are probably looking at savings of a couple thousands if financed for 4 years or so.

Unless you can snag a used 07 GT for $15-$18k or a used 08 GT for $20-$23k.

Even if the price of a used 08 is say $3k more than 07, when come time to sell, you are not going to loose all that $3k. So, maybe a grand or so difference. Drive it for 5 years, it's not going to matter much.

With 2010 just less than 6 months away, an 07 would seem like a really old car by then.

Back