06 Mazda 5 Vibration and loud noise while in drive

Hello,

This is my first post. I am new to mazda247.com However I am not new to auto forums. Anyways. I have been searching at can't quite find what I'm looking for.

So my wifes Mazda 5 (58k miles) has this vibration/ noise issue when in drive. It is smooth while driving but noisy. When stopped say at a light it is noisy and vibrates a lot. The only time its quiet is when I put it in neutral or park. I can rev it all day and its quiet and smooth in park or neutral. Also quiet and smooth in reverse. I think its safe to say the engine can be left out of this. I will check my engine mounts today as I have read a lot of suggestions about that. Also I can't tell if my ears are playing tricks on me but It got this way in a short period of time and feels like its getting a little worse every day. But I'm not sure. anyways. thanks all!

You didn't say what the noise sounds like. If it is a clanking sound you should check if the heat shield running along the length of the car above exhaust has come loose. This is a common problem with all cars.

Pull the Transmission dipstick and examine the ATF Fluid...

Is there fluid>?
What color is the fluid?
What does it smell like?

Sounds like a bad right side (passenger) motor mount. Super easy to replace. Those things are hydraulic and take the brunt of the isolation.

I agree with motor mount as being the culprit, but I would definitely check the ATF. I just checked mine for the first time around 30k and it was dark brown. Mazda has no change interval, perhaps because they want to sell you a new transmission some day.

You didn't say what the noise sounds like. If it is a clanking sound you should check if the heat shield running along the length of the car above exhaust has come loose. This is a common problem with all cars.

OK, so somehow I didn't see this post almost 1 mo ago...
Davebert, do you have a metal heatshield? Mine was some sort of fiber-paper crap with aome aluminum foil on the exposed side acting as a radiant barrier. Of course it fell apart, and some foil now rests on the exhaust and some of the fiber-paper crap is exposed, flaking off regularly no doubt littering the world with microscopic fibers that no doubt cause cancer. Worst designed heat shield ever.

^^LOL mine too!! LOL Ripped what was left of mine out during the first oil change. Motor mount FTW BTW

OK, so somehow I didn't see this post almost 1 mo ago...
Davebert, do you have a metal heatshield? Mine was some sort of fiber-paper crap with aome aluminum foil on the exposed side acting as a radiant barrier. Of course it fell apart, and some foil now rests on the exhaust and some of the fiber-paper crap is exposed, flaking off regularly no doubt littering the world with microscopic fibers that no doubt cause cancer. Worst designed heat shield ever.

The metal portion of the shield that was loose on my car was near the muffler. I did not check the front of the car so I don't know what is there.

Hi I register Just to say I had same issue I never follow up and internet been good to me so many times.
I had mean vibrations when reversing and some while idling, none while accelerating. and the other day even when it was in park. I looked at motor mount underneath the gearbox and both ends of it was packed with rocks, preventing the motor from dropping all the way down. Removed the rocks and now its good as new.

Latest posts

Back