“Oil service required” Light malfunction on ‘19 Signature

:
2019 Mazda6 & CX-5
I just went for a short drive and the oil service change remaining mileage went from around 2,500 miles to 0. When I returned home, I checked the oil level and it’s fine. Not only that but the oil looks great/clean.

I had the last oil change at around 15,000 (and the dealer did reset the oil change service light) and the car currently has around 17,500.

In the past, the light automatically reset itself twice. This time, it automatically went to “0” and is saying we are overdue for an oil change. The car also drives perfectly fine.

Anyone else experience any funkiness with the oil change service light?

I’ll see if it disappears on its own over the next day or so but I doubt it will. Guess I’ll need to take it to the dealer. Maybe an oil sensor is bad.

I just went for a short drive and the oil service change remaining mileage went from around 2,500 miles to 0. When I returned home, I checked the oil level and it’s fine. Not only that but the oil looks great/clean.

I had the last oil change at around 15,000 (and the dealer did reset the oil change service light) and the car currently has around 17,500.

In the past, the light automatically reset itself twice. This time, it automatically went to “0” and is saying we are overdue for an oil change. The car also drives perfectly fine.

Anyone else experience any funkiness with the oil change service light?

I’ll see if it disappears on its own over the next day or so but I doubt it will. Guess I’ll need to take it to the dealer. Maybe an oil sensor is bad.
Pretty sure there's no oil sensor for the service reminder. Sounds like the computer that tracks mileage/time got reset.
I track mine manually so I don't care about the service reminders,

It didn’t get reset. It went from 2500 miles until service to 0 miles until service/service overdue. If I had reset it by accident, it would show 5000 miles until service.

Just so we don’t mislead anyone who may come across this post:

oil pressure switch is Mazda part #PY8V18541B
oil level sensor is part #PX0110470

Both appear to apply to both the 2019 turbo and non turbo motors. It is possible that the service reminder doesn’t get any input from those two sensors though.

There were defects with the monitor system on my 2018 when set to flexible. It required switching between fixed and back a couple times to get it to actually reset. Its confounded by the dealer choosing 5K fixed interval regardless of what the manual or customer says.

I just use 7.5K fixed now since the flexible would calculate a longer interval. Manual for 2nd gen says 7.5K or 12months, whichever is sooner for normal driving. Dealer would have you believe that everyone drives abnormally.

It's possible that you had the interval set to 7.5K or flexible which maxes at 7.5K. Perhaps you had the oil changed after 5K and the reset wasn't performed or failed due to bugginess. So 2.5K later it gives the overdue warning.

Also interested in knowing you you use Flexible or Fixed OCI.

Personally I use fixed 5k changes on my 2019 and my wifes 2018 CX5's.

I had my last oil change two months ago. Something is not right. I have an appointment with a local dealer on Monday.

Fixed or Flexible oil change interval?

just checked. It’s set to “fixed”.

I also checked my service records.the last oil change was done at 15,325 miles on 1/23/20. The car only has around 17,500 miles on the odometer right now. The dealer also put an oil change sticker on the windshield indicting our next oil change should be at 20,5XX miles. Again, it jumped from high 2XXX-ish miles left before I needed an oil change to “service required-oil change overdue”.

There are two service lights/systems to reset in this generation of vehicle with the digital gauges. One in Mazda Connect system and another in the gauge cluster.
I had something similar happen in my Mazda6 Signature when I first bought it (wrench showed up in the garages and it was saying it needed a service, when it didn't). Dealer didn't reset gauge cluster light.
It sounds like the dealer didn't reset BOTH systems when they did your last service.

There are two service lights/systems to reset in this generation of vehicle with the digital gauges. One in Mazda Connect system and another in the gauge cluster.
I had something similar happen in my Mazda6 Signature when I first bought it (wrench showed up in the garages and it was saying it needed a service, when it didn't). Dealer didn't reset gauge cluster light.
It sounds like the dealer didn't reset BOTH systems when they did your last service.

that’s very interesting...didn’t know that. The dealer did reset the oil change interval that shows miles until service in the gauge cluster though. So do you think they just didn’t reset the service change in the mazdaConnect menu?

seems so odd there are two non-synchronized oil change service indication systems.

that’s very interesting...didn’t know that. The dealer did reset the oil change interval that shows miles until service in the gauge cluster though. So do you think they just didn’t reset the service change in the mazdaConnect menu?

seems so odd there are two non-synchronized oil change service indication systems.
Mazda didn’t do a good job to coordinate 2 maintenance monitor systems properly at first, as some low-end CX-5 models sold elsewhere don’t have entertainment system screen as the user interface. But the problem has been fixed with a TSB and 2 system reset is no longer required. Here’s the TSB which has more details. And you can click the up-arrow going to the thread which discusses the similar issue.

But IMO your sudden drop to 0 on oil service change remaining mileage is a different story. The only scenario I can think of is you reached maximum time elapse on oil change interval of 12 months, hence the sudden drop to 0 and an oil change due notification and wrench indicator should be displayed. If none of that happens other than oil service change remaining mileage dropping to 0, you definitely have a problem which is not related the problem described in the TSB I posted.

You may show the TSB to the Mazda dealer and see what they would say about your problem.

And here's another TSB for gen-2 CX-5. Apparently this time the Connectivity Master Unit (CMU) firmware needs to be updated.

TSB 09-037/18 - OIL MAINTENANCE MONITOR RESET CONCERNS

Last edited:
Yrwei52- thanks for your response. My last oil change was in January, so there is no reason why the system would have triggered the oil service due to length of time since the last oil change. And I’ve got a 2019 CX-5 Signature, so if they in fact fixed this issue with having to reset two systems, well...it’s not fixed, lol.

Unfortunately, the TSB you posted does not apply to my vehicle as it runs only they 2018 CX-5s. Perhaps Mazda updated this TSB at some point to include the 2019s too.

I’ll report back what the dealer says/does.

Some of you believe 7500 mile intervals are acceptable and it could be, but I let my 3's oil change algorithm determine my change interval and it throws up the wrench at 12 months which is about 5000 miles. I guess if I drove more often, the computer would allow 7500 miles before illuminating the wrench, but I think Mazda is being conservative because of the direct injection's tendency to allow more oil to build up in the intake, as it does with many Audis and other vehicles. When the dealer has your vehicle in for any of a number of things (even recalls), they check oil buildup, according to the receipt I received.

Some of you believe 7500 mile intervals are acceptable and it could be, but I let my 3's oil change algorithm determine my change interval and it throws up the wrench at 12 months which is about 5000 miles. I guess if I drove more often, the computer would allow 7500 miles before illuminating the wrench, but I think Mazda is being conservative because of the direct injection's tendency to allow more oil to build up in the intake, as it does with many Audis and other vehicles. When the dealer has your vehicle in for any of a number of things (even recalls), they check oil buildup, according to the receipt I received.

Its highly recommended to replace oil (even with lower mileage use) at 12 months. Not surprised the flexible OCI would want a change done.

I'll be changing the oil out on my 2019 tomorrow, debating if I'll use the flexible or set a fixed 5k. Monumental decision upcoming! Lol

My MX5 is now due for its annual oil/filter change. I think it has less than 3000 mile on it since last year's change. We've had so much rain, lately that I've been putting it off, and because of the self-isolation in effect, I take it for a 14 mile spin once per week, only.

To be clear, our CX-5’s oil was changed by a Mazda dealer on January 23rd, 2020. Not even 3 months ago. We’ve only driven around 2500 miles since that oil change. Heading to the dealer in 15 minutes.

Latest posts

Back