Search results

1. K

Protege5 Coolant loss at/near radiator

Hey, everyone. I have a leak in my cooling system that has lowered my overflow reservoir from High to Low twice over the course of two 10 - 20 mile trips. The radiator is still full and I've just been filling the overflow back up with a 50/50 mix for the time being. While troubleshooting, I...
  2. K

DFW floods - High water and car running rough now

Well, it flooded here overnight and the underground parking sump pumps at the apartment weren't working. (I woke up around 5:00 feeling something just wasn't right, and when I went downstairs water was halfway up my calf.) The P5 had water in the floorboards, and I drove it out of the garage...
  3. K

Installed new ignition switch today (Protege5)

Installed my new ignition switch this afternoon and thought I'd create a new post. In the YouTube video I watched, the guy used a right-angle screwdriver because he couldn't easily use a regular or stubby screwdriver. However, if you remove the access panel on the left-hand side of the dash...
  4. K

Replaced knock sensor today

[Breaking this out from my previous posts on "What have you done to your P5 today?" and creating a new post.] I finally installed a new knock sensor today. I was previously discouraged due to the amount of stuff in the way from both the top and bottom of the engine bay. Someone here helpfully...
  5. K

Driver's side power window switch replacement/repair

My passenger side window stopped going down using the driver's side switch bank. It would go up, but not down. Note: The window would go up and down perfectly when operated from the passenger window switch, so I knew the passenger windows motor/regulator is working fine. I bought a used...
  6. K

Was worried when I saw the thumbnail...

...and then I watched the video until the 8:10 mark. Hope everyone's OK. Wonder if the owner is on this forum.
  7. K

Oil drain plug flew out on highway

Got my oil changed at a Kwik Kar oil change franchise several days ago. About 30 miles later, as I was traveling on the highway, I heard a noise as if I'd run over something small or something had come off the car. I hadn't seen anything in the road in front of me prior to the noise and I...
  8. K

Replacing battery "ahead of time"?

So... Took a friend's car to an independent garage to see if it could be repaired or if it was time to buy another. Owner came highly recommended and seemed knowledgeable. He mentioned that he replaces batteries on all his cars before they fail, and he never has any electrical problems. (No...
  9. K

16 years later, I got one ;) ;)

[Shamelessly drafting on yoothgeye's thread title here...] Almost 16 years ago, I bought my Protege5 one week after seeing one for the first time. Ten days ago, I got him a little brother to push around. The pic below is the first I took of the new car, if that tells you anything about how...
  10. K

Cruise control vacuum line

Hi guys, I was hoping someone could give some advice on vacuum lines beyond what I've already searched for. I see a pretty substantial crack in the vacuum line to my cruise control actuator (I think that's what it is) as shown in the pic below. Should I just cut the bad part off and reattach...
  11. K

P2009 code with a twist

I've had a P2009 code for a few months now, and have finally decided to tackle it. I just spent $700 at the dealership for clutch master/slave cylinder and hoses that I should have replaced myself and I don't want to go back to them any time soon. (They wanted to charge a diagnostics fee on...
  12. K

Ignition coil / coelacanth?

After 11+ years, I got my first P0300 code and replaced the coils with Autozone/O'Reilly ones and that fixed things for a couple years. I'm getting the P0300 code again, so this time I got Hitachi coils from RockAuto as I read on the forum they're OEM. I don't *think* my cheap replacement coils...
  13. K

Loose shifter / bushings needed? (Video)

Hello everyone, I was hoping to get advice from anyone who's replaced their shifter bushings or who can remember what Proteges shifted like when they were new. I'm wondering if you guys think there is significant slop in my shift pattern and whether I'd see noticeable improvement by replacing...
  14. K

My P5 has developed a train whistle

The sound in the video I (hopefully) linked to below started recently on my '03 manual P5. I only hear it in first gear when I start moving, and on a flat surface it sounds like a train locomotive horn in the distance. It sounds like its coming from under the car, equally from the left and...
  15. K

Is your Protege/5 a He or a She?

My first two cars were both "Shes," but my P5 is definitely a He: No drama, reliable, costs me nothing, and a manual. I haven't named him in our 13 years together, but then again I don't usually do that. The only reason I named my '80 Supra "Efi" was that her name was already on the grill. :p...
  16. K

Strut question

Bump stop question [was: Strut question] Hi guys, I've read most all the strut threads on the forum (some of them twice), but wanted to get a sanity check from you all. The ride quality in my '03 P5 MT with 113,000 miles has deteriorated quite a bit in the last several months. Even small...
  17. K

Valve cover gasket plus grommets

So I think need to replace my valve cover gasket. (The bolts were so loose at 99,000 miles that I could spin them with my fingers and I lost about a quart of oil to leaks until I figured it out and tightened them.) I'm at 112,000 miles now and the leak is not too bad, but it is leaking a...
  18. K

Piece came off my car...

I was under my hood today looking at my valve cover gasket and noticed a stray piece of oil-soaked plastic around my timing belt cover. I started tickling it and it just came right out like a baby tooth. Some history: The valve cover bolts had worked themselves loose - literally only...
  19. K

Long-Term Quality - Mazda: The Devilish God

I imagine this article has been posted *somewhere* on mazda247.com already today, but thought I'd share here. The Protege5 fares very well (relatively speaking), probably because it's from the last two years of the last Protege model...
  20. K

Splash guard hanging down?

I have stuck my head under the car on two occasions now and for the life of me, I can't see how I would clip the plastic shield shown in the attached image any differently than how it's clipped in now, but it really looks wrong when viewed from the front of the car. Has anyone seen this before...
Back