Search results

1. J

Need help ASAP - How to set timing belt

Tiajuanatoad - Sent you a PM
  2. J

Thanks for the reply. Why would there be a 10 degree marker, then? Some reading online seems to suggest that many engines are set with the timing 10 degrees before TDC. I don't think I flooded the engine, since I've had the spark plugs out for a while before I tried to start it.
  3. J

Hey guys, I recently changed the valve stem seals on my P5 and now need to reset my timing belt. There is a marker on the crankshaft pulley, as well as a guide that is marked with a 10 and a T. It looks like if I'm aligned with the 10, then I'd be at 10 degrees off from top dead center. I...
  4. J

How to change valve seals?

Looks like I am due for new valve seals. Are there any good writeups on this? I found a few posts saying that it was possible to do it w/o removing the head, using either the rope or compressed air method. Do I need to mess with the timing belt or can I leave all of that stuff intact? Any...
  5. J

White smoke on cold start

Will check coolant tomorrow morning, no CEL.
  6. J

My experience with burning anti-freeze is that it smells sweet, kinda like syrup. This doesn't smell like that. But maybe it smells differently coming out of the exhaust. No massive weather change, and it's been happening consistently for about 2 weeks now. Didn't touch any of the head...
  7. J

I recently changed my spark plugs, wires, and valve cover gasket. Starting immediately after the install of those things, I get about 20 seconds of thick white smoke anytime I start the car. Any ideas?
  8. J

Question re: new plugs and wires

Thanks for the info. I ordered the wires and a set of the standard reach plugs. I have been using the long reach, but I'm curious if there's any difference.
  9. J

Question re: new plugs and wires

I'm at 78k miles and my car had a hard time starting this morning. Was driving in the rain last night and it was still wet this morning. The car felt like it was not firing on all cylinders for about 15 seconds and I had to feather the gas to keep it running. After a while, it was running...
  10. J

Window Tinting Percentage?

I love the privacy of a dark tint, so I have 5% all around. It's certainly risky in that you might get pulled over, but that hasn't been a problem for in the 6 years I've had it.
  11. J

No more SLS motormounts

I do feel more movement in the trans, which is my least favorite part, but I don't dread sitting w/ the car idling any more.
  12. J

No more SLS motormounts

I had some issues with my P5 lately; front right caliper seized, front endlinks were worn, and the front left wheel bearing was sticking. I had the car in the shop since I am too busy with school to fix these things, and I had them change the SLS mounts back to new OEM ones. I haven't been so...
  13. J

How To: EGR Removal and Cleaning for Rough Idle Fix

Anyway disadvantage to disabling the EGR altogether?
  14. J

Adjustable End Links

Adjustable endlinks let you adjust the preload on the sway bar. That will let you stiffen up the front end. It's not a huge advantage, but don't have any disadvantages as far as i know.
  15. J

Fuse question

Well, it was the last one I checked, but the fuse that handles the dimming rearview mirror is fuse #1.
  16. J

Owners Occupation Check

Interesting thread! Graduated from University of Michigan in '06 with degrees in English and Psychology. Now a first year student at Indiana University School of Law. My income is living expenses courtesy of student loans. I graduate in 2 years and should be making a respectable salary by then.
  17. J

Fuse question

Does anyone know which fuse the compass/auto-dimming rearview mirror is on? I tapped into a wire for power in my car to hardwire my GPS and some other aftermarket accessories. I think I blew the fuse since they all stopped working at the same time, but I can't figure out which fuse it is. Any...
  18. J

Engine Mount Woes

I replaced my front and side mounts, but I think I am going back to stock. Does anybody besides Mazda make an oem type replacement? I doubt it, but it would probably be cheaper than a Mazda part.
  19. J

Clutch/Flywheel Installation

I am having the clutch chatter problems that the P5 is infamous for and I have replaced the front and side motor mounts with the SLS mounts, but will probably need to do the others soon. I also think its time to replace the clutch and flywheel (or at least have it resurfaced). Has anyone...
  20. J

MI Fun Drive II-'07; October 21, 2007

ENTENSE, I wish I would have seen your message earlier. I live in Warren and would have gone w/ you.
Back