Search results

1. P

Need help identifying a part from 2007 Mazda 3

Well, the plastic piece is a broken cable clamp. Those usually have an "anchor" part that goes through a hole, possibly the one on the left of the metal piece, but it is broken off in this instance. The metal piece I have no idea. If you clean all dirt and grease off you may get lucky and...
  2. P

Rear visibility and other questions

Test drove a 2015 Mazda 3 hatch this weekend. Mostly I liked it but I couldn't see out the back adequately. On my quickly fading away 2003 Civic Hybrid with the rear view mirror adjusted so that the left edge shows straight back and the right edge looks out the back side window I can see both...
  3. P

Warm up time/distance?

Thanks for the feedback.
  4. P

Warm up time/distance?

Hi all. I am considering buying a Mazda3, probably a used 2015. Years ago I drove a Protege5 and found that the mileage going back and forth to work, entirely suburban driving, with a lot of stop lights and a top speed of about 40 mph, was considerably lower than the expected "city" MPG. This...
  5. P

What are these?

Also those headlights are pretty hazy. The bulbs inside should be just as sharp in the image as the body is. At that point a lot of the light they generate is going to scatter out of the beam, making it dimmer. Assuming that isn't just dirt, there are a variety of kits to clean these up. If...
  6. P

Oops... I sprung a leak...

Given the rust on your car in that location that was almost certainly the problem. However, in the more general case of a leak in that vicinity on most cars, and I'm assuming the P5, it is usually worth checking the drain tubes that come out of the sun roof. If those detach, crack, break, or...
  7. P

No Crank, No Start, Help Please!

Bad starter motor? We had an Accord starter fail with exactly the same symptoms.
  8. P

Dome lights wont come on when doors open?

If you need to see where your feet are going (for what reason I cannot guess) could you not just turn on the headlights once you open the door? The stalk is right there, easy to reach from outside the car, and if you have a dome bulb installed and that switch is in the "doors" position there...
  9. P

Look at this drawing: Your verbal description sounds like A. Don't do that, the light will be on all the time. You want B - no diodes needed, just wire the led lamp element to the dome switch where the bulb would have been. If the lamp has a polarity then be sure to put it in the right way.
  10. drawing.png

drawing.png

11. P

Probably the switch has three connectors. If it is at all logical the outer two go to the two wires (always on, on when the door is open) and the center one goes to the light. The other side of the light goes to ground. If an LED is put in instead of a light bulb be sure to get the proper...
  12. P

Steering wheel shakes over 65 mph

How do you know this? Google "Movement at Driver's Side CV Axle to Transmission", there is a thread about Mazda 3's which may be relevant. Maybe you forgot to put the clips back on, or they subsequently popped off?
  13. P

Have you tried disabling the power steering? Some cars that can be done by pulling a belt off. If the PS was going in and out just a little it might be more noticeable at speed. The only car we had with a PS failure it would go all the way on or off, which made it a real handful to drive if...
  14. P

Is there a dynamometer shop near you? Perhaps if you can run the car on that and the shaking occurs something will be visible? If the shaking does not occur that would be informative too, it would suggest that the problem is actually in the rear of the car. You will probably need a camera...
  15. P

Make sure every bolt/nut in the suspension is tight. Decades ago we had some work done on the front end of a car and something loosened up on a long trip shortly after that, so that the steering went nuts over 55mph. It was fine below that though. So we drove home slowly, the mechanic...
  16. P

misfiring

Probably not the plugs - they would either stay gunked up or it would burn off and they would be fine. I'm thinking there may be crud on the inlet filters of one or more injectors. This stuff could move around and temporarily block fuel flow, and then shift back out of the way and the car...
  17. P

P5 heater core replacement help

The climate control cables must be routed "just so" or they put too much force on those clips and then either the cable pops out of the clip or the clip comes off the metal. Either way the cable is then flopping around freely on the attachment point at the white control wheel under the dash...
  18. P

Blower Not Working - don't think it's the fan switch

You need to use a voltmeter and poke around to see where you actually do and don't have voltage. Set it on DC, clamp the negative lead to some bare metal, and measure away. I'm betting that if you put the positive lead on the ground side of the motor in any "on" position it will read 12V when...
  19. P

fluctuating rpm, stalling, cannot connect OBD

The air intake is notoriously prone to developing cracks in the "bellows" section. Once there is a hole there the car will act as the OP describes. If that is the problem wrapping the bellows well with tape will temporarily resolve the issue, and you can drive it like that for a couple of days...
  20. P

Low oil. Yikes!

Probably. After my daughter overheated her P5 it had a problem with intermittent periods of burning oil. As in, for a while it would burn a quart every thousand miles, and then other times it wouldn't burn any for many thousands of miles. Working hypothesis was that one or more oil rings were...
Back