Search results

1. BenjiHoggi

Seeking 2012 Mazda3i Purchase advice (P0841)

Hi all, Protege5 owner here. I'm keeping the P5, but looking for a car for a family member. Currently looking at a 2012 Mazda 3i Touring with the 2.0L engine and auto transmission, non-Skyactiv. 137k miles, 3 owner, has receipts for regular fluid changes from the current owner over the last 6...
  2. BenjiHoggi

205/55R16 Snow tires - bad idea?

I realize this is the age old question for Proteges, but would like to ask anyways, as most other threads are pretty dated. Shopping for snow tires and my desired sizes are 195/55R16 or 205/50R16. A new set of Blizzak WS90s will run me $600+ which is okay, but I'm always inclined to first...
  3. BenjiHoggi

Protege5 won't idle after refueling (EVAP/O2 sensor issue?)

I'm having weird idle issues with my P5 right now. Wondering if anybody has suggestions. It started with a P0440 code that would pop up every day or two and I would just clear. I did this for several weeks. Replaced the EVAP solenoid commonly related to this code under the hood with an OEM...
  4. BenjiHoggi

Lame stock foglights? Here's an upgrade!

I feel somewhat obligated to provide this Disclaimer: These modifications are not necessarily road legal and should be done with that in mind. I take no responsibility for mods made to your own car. Please be responsible and use common sense! Are your stock Protege5 foglights lame?? (yes...
  5. BenjiHoggi

Pilot bearing loose in flywheel

Well now I'm in a real pinch. I have a brand new LuK flywheel that I was installing when I realized that the new pilot bearing from my Exedy kit is too loose in the flywheel. Initially I had to hammer it in, but it came out the other side after a few hits. Now I can put it in with my hands...
  6. BenjiHoggi

Polyurethane LCA bushings - Mix and match?

Theoretically, is it "kosher" to run a front lower control arm with one polyurethane bushing and the rest being standard rubber? I would assume that durability and stiffness would be increased by changing to a PU bushing, but can anyone confirm? My other concern would be wearing out the other...
  7. BenjiHoggi

2003 with Shiftable Automatic, won't shift to 4th - Help!

My brother has a 2003 Sedan with 4-speed shiftable automatic and about 185k miles. It won't shift into 4th. Have not confirmed whether it shifts to 4th in manual mode, but I am guessing not, since he basically cannot drive at highway speeds. Also have not heard anything of a CEL. I have a...
  8. BenjiHoggi

Troubling Engine Noise

I'm making a thread with more details because I feel bad cluttering up the "What did you do to your P5...." thread. It seems like I don't have a rod-knock by traditional definition, but I do have a concerning (likely internal) engine noise. I noticed it first while cold starting in...
  9. BenjiHoggi

For Sale Custom black-housing Protege5 headlights, rough condition, project or parts/repair

Location: Eugene, Oregon eBay profile: benjihoggi For Sale: Set of custom black-housing P5 headlights, rough condition, best for a project or parts/repair. Sold AS-IS. Condition: Rough. Functional without much work, but not amazing. They were originally swapped with projectors, but I...
  10. BenjiHoggi

Best value for brake upgrades

The time has come for me to service my front brakes, mainly warped rotors. I'd like to take this opportunity to both service and upgrade my brakes, and I'm looking for input on the best bang for the buck option. I was considering the Mazda 6 front brake upgrade, but for the driving I do, I'm...
  11. BenjiHoggi

Non-functional parking brake and rear caliper replacement

* Yes yes yes, I realize this topic has been covered to death, as it's a common issue. I've done some reading but would still like to have the most up-to-date info possible. Apologies for redundancy! * I bought my car with a non-functioning parking brake. The previous owner told me it...
  12. BenjiHoggi

Megan Racing short shifter rattle and metal shavings

Last November, I installed a Megan Racing SS and new aftermarket shifter bushings onto my Protege5. There was always a small bit of slop and a rattle sometimes, but it's gotten significantly worse since installation about 8 months ago. Of course, there is some slop in the bar that connects the...
  13. BenjiHoggi

WRX/Impreza seats in a Protege5

Okay, i'm coming out of nowhere with this because of an opportunity that just came up, but I'm looking for any information I can get on putting 2nd gen WRX/Impreza seats in a Protege with some small modifications. I have the cloth seats and even at 6'5", they're okay under normal driving. The...
  14. BenjiHoggi

Front suspension work - What to replace?

Hey all, I hope everyone is healthy and safe. I'm seeking advice on some front-end suspension work I need to do. I'm a student and generally tight on money, so I want to do as much of it as I can before doing an alignment, in order to save money. I also enjoy driving my car "quickly" on...
  15. BenjiHoggi

Fitment issues with 2017 MZ3 16" OEM Wheels [Solved]

I'm stumped. First post here, hopefully I can get some help and learn something too. Thanks guys. The extent of my experience with wheel & tire setups is from research online and taking off the random aftermarket wheels that came with my P5. My terminology may be incorrect so feel free to...
Back