Search results

1. I

Alloys (M011 or M012) and Tires for Winter

Finally we received a blast of winter this week in my area. And I was thus able to give the Pirelli Scorpion Winter tires a good test. The temperature has been very frigid (-20 C / - 4 F at the moment) and we got a reasonable dump of snow (~20 cm / 8 inch). The driving conditions were quite...
  2. I

As per earlier post they feel pretty good on dry pavement, although the stock 20" Falken all seasons provided a firmer ride. It also hasn't been that cold here recently. I imagine the Pirelli tires will only feel better as the weather gets colder. Honestly though it's too soon for me to...
  3. I

Unfortunately the weather hasn't cooperated yet so I haven't really been able to test them out on any sort of substantial snow/ice.
  4. I

I agree the 19" are worth considering. I ultimately selected the Pirelli Scorpion Winter tires on 18" alloys and installed them last week. I would have preferred 20" or even 19" but compared to 18" the cost difference was substantial for these particular tires (approx +20% for 19" and +40% for...
  5. I

Came across this comparison and am blown away by the difference in performance between the Blizzak DM-V2 and Yokohama IceGuard IG51V. Some of my research suggested that the IceGuard would have better 'road manners' and top notch dry/wet handling, but this comparison has tossed that right out the...
  6. I

After a ton of research, including the link you posted, I personally don't see the need for a narrower tire. May make sense in certain scenarios but not for me. I will definitely be sticking with one of the OEM sizes (255/50R20 or 255/60R18). All evidence points to the 18" being a wiser option...
  7. I

Those are great tires and can't go wrong with them. My hesitation is only the first 55% of rubber is the special compound that makes them really great winter tires. That being said I don't put a ton of mileage on my car so they would still last me quite awhile. They are also really well suited...
  8. I

I have a 2018 GT and am currently shopping for winter tires on Mazda OEM alloys. The standard guidance is of course to downsize for winter. The arguments being (1) cheaper, (2) greater protection for rims, and (3) greater traction in snow (assuming the downsized tire is narrower). However, due...
Back