Search results

1. B

Smoke on cold start

I noticed it once when I changed from Mobil1 (15k one) to Pennzoil (both synthetic). I switched back to Mobil1 and never had an issue since. I have also had really good results with Royal Purple. Use high quality oil and change your oil regularly and you will be okay. Must be the extra cleaning...
  2. B

2003 Mazda Protege Mod Options?

There's a YouTube video of a few guys who added 4 turbos to a protege. Fun to watch, but not practical. One turbo is enough The BJ platform isn't known for high horsepower without upgrading the internals. BJ proteges are known for handling though. Sticker tires, a good set of springs/coilovers...
  3. B

Lifting a Protege? Anyone?

K-sport makes rally coilovers for the protege https://www.andysautosport.com/products/ksport__CMZ020-AR.html
  4. B

Difficult to replace Protege Fan Belts?

It is pretty easy to do. You'll have to do the power steering/ac one first. It is just two bolts (easy to get to) to loosen it. Then the alternator. This one is a little harder, but simple as well. The only thing is, if you have cruise control, you'll have to move the cruise control unit (upper...
  5. B

Budget exhaust options?

Can't complain if he didn't put a gun to your head to buy it. 🤣😂 But on a serious note, just buy vibrant ultra quiet resonator, especially if you still have the muffler. I just slapped on an ebay catback for $125 on my protege and called it good.
  6. B

Feels like brake is on...?

Check the brake caliper pins. They may need to be re-grease. I recently had this same issue, and it turned out that one of my caliper pins caused the pad to touch the rotor just enough to cause drag but not to stop it from rolling when in neutral. If it is the pins, you may see abnormal pad wear.
  7. B

Protege5/Protege/Mazdaspeed Parts

Big thanks to fuadmsp for helping me get the strut bar install on my sedan! Much respect to fuadmsp for representing what it means to be a part of this community.
  8. B

Strange starter issue

If it is an automatic, try the shift sensor that prevents your car from starting if it is not fully in park or neutral. Try starting in neutral or wiggling your shifter to see if it starts. Good luck
  9. B

New Protege Owner here just a few issues

It is the HVAC control board. There's an issue with these protege. I just bang my panel every now and then. My AC doesn't like to work on "2" setting, but works on the other three. Hope that helps.
Back