Search results

1. D

CX-9 Water Pump Replacement DIY Guide

I have the camshaft locking tools, I could send them to you but you would need to cover the shipping cost. PM me if you are interested.
  2. D

Water pump!!!!

Congratulations on successfully completing the water pump and timing chain replacement! It is a bit of a challenge, but much cheaper to DIY vice having the dealership do the work. For anyone else out there that plans on doing this repair, I'm willing to share tools so you don't have to pay out...
  3. D

CX-9 Timing Chain, Water Pump, and VVT - Engine does not need to be removed

I didn't go as far as head gaskets, not sure if they have much risk for failure. If you have 168k, you definitely want to replace any of the moving parts in the timing chain section. I only replaced the primary chain as it is the highest risk for stretching due to being much longer than the...
  4. Mazda CX9 Timing Chain-2.jpg

Mazda CX9 Timing Chain-2.jpg

5. Mazda CX9 Crankshaft Pulley.jpg

Mazda CX9 Crankshaft Pulley.jpg

6. D

CX-9 Power Steering Belt Replacement

I did not see any good DIYs on how to replace the Power Steering Belt and it was a bit tricky, so figured I would share. Unlike the primary drive belt that goes to the alternator and ac compressor, the power steering belt does not use a tensioner or adjustable mount to allow for the belt to be...
  7. Power Steering Belt Install.jpg

Power Steering Belt Install.jpg

8. D

To explain on why/when replacement may be necessary, here is my 2 cents: If the water pump fails, you'll know it. Coolant will get into your crankcase and turn the oil into mud. This is bad, really bad. From the other threads, it seems cost to have this work done is around $2K (plus or minus)...
  9. D

Accessing the timing chain, water pump, and VVT actuators require removal of the timing chain cover which there seems to be some debate on if the engine needs to be removed to accomplish this. The Mazda service manual says to remove it, but I think that is just because it is a tight fit and...
  10. D

Water pump!!!!

For just the water pump and primary chain replacement, there is not much needed in the way of specialty tools. I did need special tools for replacing the VVT actuators though because you have to lock down the camshafts when removing the VVT actuator, it is really torqued down tight, but a...
  11. D

Water pump!!!!

It looks good. Having the service manual (in pdf) helped so I had all the torque specs and order for tightening sequence. I haven't gotten everything back together yet, but I did replace the water pump, both VVT actuators, the primary chain, tensioner, and guides. I had some parts drama, which...
  12. D

Water pump!!!!

I just pulled out the old water pump, so it can be done without removing the engine from the car. While i'm in there, I'm also replacing both VVT Actuators since they are easy to do at this point.
  13. D

Water pump!!!!

I received my parts and specialty tools, so this weekend should be the moment of truth. I'll document as I go.
  14. Mazda CX9 Timing Chain-2.jpg

Mazda CX9 Timing Chain-2.jpg

15. D

Water pump!!!!

I'm doing a timing chain and water pump replacement on my 2011 CX-9. I just got the timing cover off today, it wasn't easy, but so far I haven't seen the need to pull the engine. If this proves successful, I'll put together a DIY with pics since this seems to be a very expensive repair if the...
Back