Search results

1. K

Round 3!! Snow arrives again.

Montana? Big whoop. In N. NV we have these things called the Sierra Nevadas where you can go up 4k' altitude in 20 minutes. Fact- tire technology has advanced a lot in the last 20 years.The best all seasons of today might equal or surpass the snows of 20 years ago. Does that make those old snows...
  2. K

Nope, your dead wrong, totally . Fwd is a stupid waste of money. You can give anecdotes of dedicated snows vs these conti Tires, but it means nothing. Here is fact- if you have fwd with dedicated snows, the CHP won't let you drive anywhere with out chaining up, if there is snow on the ground ...
  3. K

Advice on Tire chains for very infrequent winter travel

CA has three levels of controls: 1) Chains, snows or awd 2) chains, or awd 3) Chains With 1, you can have snows or all seasons, they don't care. However, the first one is rare, it is usually #2. They'll pass on a sube with half worn all seasons, but if you have a fwd with brand new totl...
  4. K

Conti TrueContact on Sale, Canada

These tires are incredible compared to the stock toyo's. Snow accelleration is close to a dedicated snow tire, braking, not as good as snow tire, but pretty good and can't imagine another all season being better. Drove in 6" of heavy snow today, then lightly dusted ice covered street (yes, other...
  5. K

In N. NV, a SUV with fwd is a huge waste of money. I live 30 miles away from Reno (Carson City), I had 6" of snow, cx5 did great. I have Conti true contact, which are far superior to the stock tires, great traction. Even did pretty good an hour ago, when the roads were covered with ice, getting...
  6. K

0-20 oil vs 5-30 oil

Actually, I have been comparing Penzoil pure to Mazda oil as I have been using penzoil in mazda. I think the problem you have with finding cheap redline is that you have been looking up prices from retail places. I get mine from a wholeseller that sells some of their oils (like Redline) to the...
  7. K

0-20 oil vs 5-30 oil

Looking back, I did use 5-20. I think the manual says you can use 5-20 though. At any rate, that Mazda stuff is over priced. I was at pepboys today and five qts of penzoil synthetic and an oil filter was $20. With the oil filter, that's about $3.50 a qt. At that price, I fail to see the reason...
  8. K

0-20 oil vs 5-30 oil

A five quart jug of Penzoil 5-20 from walmart will cost 25.17, or $5 a quart. That's every day price, if you have rebates, even cheaper.
  9. K

0-20 oil vs 5-30 oil

I don't get oil off of amazon as the shipping can be a killer. I think I paid around $5 a qt. The rebates and offers come and go. Even without rebates and offers, still probably cheaper as Mazda oil in my area is around $10 a qt, waaay too much for oil. I can get Redline 5-20 for around $7 a qt...
  10. K

0-20 oil vs 5-30 oil

I drove 8000miles in temps as cold as 25 degrees and as hot as 109 (one time doing 80+ with fully loaded vehicle). I didn't use that over priced, overly hyped mazda oil; I used penzoil pure (got it for around $3 a qt) and it worked well. Ho do I define "well"? I posted the uoa of it. It was the...
  11. K

Swirl Marks on new CX-5?

Swirl marks are caused by improper washing/waxing. The old "apply wax with circular motion" will cause it. You should use two bucket wash method so that you are not wiping grit across the paint. Again, don't use circular motions to wash! Get a porter cable machine ($80?) and a bottle of 3m...
  12. K

My oil results with penzoil 0-20 pure

[img=http://s6.postimg.org/4ezqvrhjx/image.jpg] Not bad for an oil that cost $5. Having trouble with the pic and link but bottom line is that this oil is pretty good. Iron was a little high but that was due to the fact that this was the first oil change (I changed the factory fill with Penzoil...
  13. K

new 2015 owner - when to do first and subsequential oil changes?

I changed to Penzoil pure 0-20 at 3K miles, just changed it again at 10,800 miles. This oil is pretty cheap with rebates and free filters, after rebate, my cost for a bosch filter and 5 qts (from autozone) will be just $25 for everything. Is the oil any good? Well, just wait...I have a sample...
  14. K

2015 Forester VS 2015 CX-5?

That's an old tuning ploy to make people think the car has more power than it really has.
  15. K

USA Mazda Diesel Engine Delayed Again

The news said that gas prices might fall into the $2 range this year. That will help snuff diesel enthusiasm. I will cling to my tdi ('03 5sp gls wagon) until it is a pile of rust!
  16. K

Spark Plugs

I'd say that it can vary. My GTO was sputtering and when I pulled out an iridium plug, it was missing the iridium. All the plugs had huge gaps after 40K miles. I'd say that with the CX5, check the gap at 50k miles, you can even just check one. You can check them again at 75k miles. Be careful as...
  17. K

Black or White CX-5?

Get white with beige interior- it looks pretty classy. Black paint is awful! I once had a black audi and washing it was futile. An hour after washing it, the pollen on it would make it look dirty.
  18. K

Mazda paint quality question, and concern with door dings.

My 2003 jetta has thick paint. I live in one of the windiest areas in the country, some people replace windshields every two years because the wind pits them. Jetta with 180k has decent paint but is still pitted. Honda has very, very, very thin paint, just enough to keep the metal from rusting...
  19. K

Need help in deciding between a Hyundai Santa Fe Sport or a Mazda CX-5...

Driving the CX5, I keep thinking "wow, this thing has some excellent engineering!" I am sure I am not the only one. Smooth motor that gets 28mpg on the freeway (awd model) despite doing 70+. A suspension that handles like a sports car yet is comfortable. No noise, no rattles, we have 8k miles on...
  20. K

Extended Warranty ????

Third party service companies go out of business ALL the time! I still remember when Warranty Gold, hawked on edmunds disappeared. I am also not a believer of manufactor warranties; better off putting the $ in the bank. The one exception was for my '11 Kawasaki Concours. Standard warranty was 3...
Back