Search results

1. J

Recent CX-5 purchase. Are there interior/exterior protection packages worth getting?

Only thing worth splurging for is PPF on the front (bumper + at least partial hood). Never buy an interior protection package. All they do is spray a Scotch-Guard-like product on the carpet and seats and you're basically getting gouged for a shady warranty. You can easily DIY your interior...
  2. J

In July 2020 Consumer Reports:

The noise that CR reports is almost entirely attributed to the OEM run-flat tires on the X1. A lot of owners report a very quiet car after switching to normal tires. The X1 certainly doesn't skimp on sound-dampening materials - its everywhere. As for the premium, I wouldn't chock the X1...
  3. J

In July 2020 Consumer Reports:

Ha, I have an X1 and that’s exactly the swap I’m trying to make before the BMW is out of warranty. I will say that CR’s criticism of the X1 handling and engine noise is nonsense - the car is quite great, it’s just not worth the long term cost of ownership.
  4. J

Off Topic RAV4 Prime pricing announced

Are you being facetious?
  5. J

New competitor: 2021 Toyota Venza

Another nice-looking competitor just got revealed - the new Buick Envision. Reminds me of the Volvo XC60, which I really like. Companies seem to be ditching the hard creases and copying Mazda's smoother body panel design. Finally...
  6. J

Rental CX-5s showing up on Autotrader

I think the rental buying stigma is largely unfounded for non-sporty cars. Sure, some people treat them bad. But tons are airport rentals used by business travelers who do nothing but drive and park at a hotel. Also, most renters are paranoid as hell about getting charged for damage. Now...
  7. J

Anyone consider a used Luxury SUV for the price of a new CX-5?

Well, look at it this way. I bought a used luxury SUV (BMW) a couple years ago and now regret it after discovering the CX-5. So now I browse here while shopping for my unicorn CX-5. Way more friendlier and helpful here than the Beamer forums too. :)
  8. J

Waiting for the 2021 CX-5...Release date?

Yeah, that was a disappointing announcement. A big whiff for Mazda if they don't have anything truly new for the next 2 years. Their strategy of making subtle tweaks to the current CX-5 (their top seller by far) is completely lost on new customers because Mazda is awful at advertising. I...
  9. J

Yeah, I wonder what the chances are that there was collaboration on the design language. The sleekness is a large step above Toyota’s typical look.
  10. J

Yep, it’s supposed to slot between the RAV4 and Highlander size-wise and compete with Edge, Blazer, Passport, Atlas Cross Sport, etc. Makes more sense why they “adventurized” the look of the RAV4 now - the Venza is the Toyota crossover for those who want more refinement.
  11. J

Just announced yesterday. The original Venza was a forgettable wagon thing that was discontinued years ago, but they brought it back as a proper mid-size crossover. I usually rag on Toyota's awful aesthetics, but the new Venza looks quite sharp. The rear profile, in particular, reminds me of...
  12. J

What did you pay for your CX-5?

Unsurprisingly, sounds like Mazda will remain stubborn with its pricing despite the inventory pile-up: Said Koga: “We will prioritize selling cars from the piled-up inventory and try to regain cash without getting caught up in incentive competition in the market.”...
  13. J

2022 CX-50?!

Combined, there are only about 10,000 idiot customers for the X4 and X6 in the US each year, which makes me wonder: a) why do they bother? and b) why would others copy it?
  14. J

2022 CX-50?!

Why the obsession with 300 HP? That's an arbitrary objective and you absolutely don't need 300+ HP for a sporty two-row SUV. Especially Mazda, who's secret sauce is their ability to make fun cars that use boring power plants on paper. Besides, isn't there a good chance all new cars in that...
  15. J

Why are headlights enabled with DRLs?

My theory: Mazda designed the LED rings with low output as a low-cost way of adding a luxury touch. On their own, the rings aren't bright enough to serve the purpose of DRLs. So they were designed from the start to merely accent the round headlight. Although the headlight washes out the ring...
  16. J

2022 CX-50?!

Bingo. It’ll be RWD-based AWD, like the X5, etc. A distinction that few buyers will notice but auto enthusiasts and reviewers will talk about to death.
  17. J

Poll: Did you choose the CX-5 over a German SUV?

Spot on. When anyone questions the quality of outsourced production it seems to always generate an idealogical debate, but there is no questioning the fact that experience and training are king. It has nothing to do with work ethic. Plus, as you mentioned, the source materials might differ...
  18. J

Car and Driver

Yep, it’s so bad it’s not even funny. If this luxury push stands any chance, Mazda definitely needs a major shakeup in the marketing department.
  19. J

PDR - Good results?

Haven’t had it done on a CX-5, but I highly recommend PDR after having it done on other cars. If all you have is a ding, that’s bread and butter for them. If you live in Northern VA, I can refer you to the guy I found. Last time I paid $125 to have 3 door dings taken out. Some dealers...
  20. J

Poll: Did you choose the CX-5 over a German SUV?

In my experience, the interiors compare well with the BMW and Audi of the same size class, except for obviously the infotainment screens. What a lot of people don’t realize is that the Q3/5 and X1/3 aren’t that fancy in the inside...especially their base or second tier trims. They’re nice, but...