• Welcome to Mazdas247, the 24/7 Mazda Community and Resource. Learn about the benefits of becoming a Member here.
  • We're an Amazon Associate and eBay Partner. We earn from qualifying purchases.

Search results

1. I

Need Stiffer Rear Coils

So far I’ve only done the rear springs and replaced the worn shocks. I haven’t gotten around to the front struts yet, and I’m still mulling over leaving it stock (with replaced struts). Based on the measurements posted in this thread (I think the beginning of page 2) the front CX7 springs may...
  2. I

What have you done to your Mazda5 today?

On either side of the crash bar is where I had them on my ‘12. I actually looked to put the super tones there on her ‘08, but the lower mounts for the radiator are different and obscure the bolts I used to mount on my 2nd gen. The wolo disc horns I had in my ‘12 the ground kept going bad on...
  3. I

Need Stiffer Rear Coils

I got mine from tire rack on a close out for $189 before shipping. I guess they were clearing old stock becuase they’re now $250 on tire rack. The set I got were the 29050.1 sport springs (for a 2012 CX7) if you want to search around other places.
  4. I

Turbocharging 2.3L auto?

Totally doable. The 2.5 in the Mz5 is a bored out version of the 2.3 which was used in the Mz3 since 2004, and plenty of people turbocharged those motors, though the general consensus is it was easier to turbo the 2.0 for reasons I don’t recall and probably couldn’t really explain if I did...
  5. I

Recommended Jack for Wheel Changing Duties?

Had a crappy 2 Ton jack. Same problem as noted, couldn’t lift some things high enough, and couldn’t fit under some things. Went with a low profile 3 ton jack when I replaced it. If I had to lift it anywhere to put it away I wouldn’t like it, but given it just stays on the ground it’s not a...
  6. I

No, the uncompressed height is same as stock. This is compared to the OE CX7 springs which are ~2” longer and which increase the ride height by about 2”. Compressed and in the car, and now that the shocks have settled (and bearing in mind my driveway is not perfectly level) the ride height...
  7. I

2004~2008 2008 Hatchback rear clunking

Also check your shock mounts. Common failure point.
  8. I

Did a couple of things to my ‘12 the last few days. Pulled off the bumper cover to check the ground on my low tone wolo disc (hella supertone lookalike) horn. Turns out the ground was fine, but the horn was dead. Ended up going with a new set of wolo trumpet horns (Happened to be in stock at...
  9. I

Need Stiffer Rear Coils

Job is done, wheels are on, and I’ve done my test drive. So far I can say I’m absolutely satisfied. I ended up searching online inventories yesterday and found a Lowe’s 25 miles away with a corded 1/2” 450lbs electric torque wrench in stock (and it came with impact sockets in the sizes I needed...
  10. I

Need Stiffer Rear Coils

To make this whole process more fun and potentially fraught with more rusted bolts, Assuming the lowering springs work out for me, my OEM springs may be going into my sister’s ‘08 model since the 2nd gen got better springs than the 1st gen. I think 1st gen may have been using Mz3 springs.
  11. I

Need Stiffer Rear Coils

Okay, just went out to grab something and whipped out the tape measure. OEM 5 rear springs appear to be 3.25” ID. H&R 3.5” ID. Not sure if being partially compressed would make them open up an extra 0.25”, so I’d assume they’re a slightly larger ID.
  12. I

Need Stiffer Rear Coils

No home gym here, but there’s a pretty well stocked gym at my work (once I get off Covid leave and can go back to work). Springs are already in the car, but I was kind of interested in putting defined weight in the back of the car and seeing how the suspension holds up.
  13. I

Need Stiffer Rear Coils

The springs are the same overall length, but you can see in the photo that the spacing is larger on the H&R spring on the lower section, so should have improved weight capability. I remember one memorable brake job on my sister’s 5. Front axle done in 20 minutes. Rear axle one rotor took 45...
  14. I

Need Stiffer Rear Coils

Noted. I’ll measure them the next time I’m out there. Had a delay on a seized bolt so it’s still up on stands. Both springs are in, though I should be able to get a measuring tape through the lower coils to check them out. Off the old Mark 1 eyeball they look nearly identical in ID diameter...
  15. I

Need Stiffer Rear Coils

Also I’m halfway through my suspension job. Passenger side is done, but the lower bolt for the driver side shock is not quite seized. I got the driver side spring out, and had the head of the shock bolt about 1/2” out before dinner last night, so I sprayed a bunch of PB blaster on it and...
  16. I

Need Stiffer Rear Coils

Or make friends with a person who has a spring tool which measures the spring rate. Got a funny story from a guy on another forum with a new Mz3. Took his new red aftermarket springs and set them off in the corner while he was doing other stuff, then realized he’d put the red springs in with...
  17. I

Need Stiffer Rear Coils

Hard even with those numbers.... so much flex just based on driving habits. I can easily get mid-upper 20’s driving mine (with nothing loaded up of course), and low 30’s on the highway..... sometimes. My au pair’s tend to have heavier feet and average upper teens to low 20’s at best.
  18. I

Need Stiffer Rear Coils

Like 150lbs on the roof itself... or using the mounting points?
  19. I

Need Stiffer Rear Coils

All of that is true, and I always suggest following manufacturers recommendations. This was more in the way of questions about anthonyverde’s setup.