• Welcome to Mazdas247. Membership is free and offers many benefits, please Click Here to learn more, thanks!
  • Mazdas247 is an Amazon Associate and earns from qualifying purchases.

Search results

1. 1

What have you done to your Mazda5 today?

Yes, quite. This is a rhythmic squeak consistent with road speed that goes away when the brakes are applied. Never had this before. If it didn't go away under braking I'd be more confident it was a hub, but a squeak is an odd noise for a hub .... thus the suspicion that it could be rubbing...
  2. 1

Wow, that silver car looks great! Still hurts a little to look at since I live in the Great Northern Land of Carnivorous Potholes. This past week, I finally snatched a day to look at the rattling exhaust heat shields that had been driving me crackers for what seemed like months. It was...
  3. 1

Ended up changing my own oil this time around, mostly because what with life and things I never got around to visiting the dealership for an oil change. Entertainingly, after having purchased oil and a filter, I was thinking about the task at home and realized I had no easy way to get the...
  4. 1

Mushy brake pedal

So basically, proper bleeding of an ABS equipped vehicle involves triggering an "ABS event" to get the fluid to cycle through all the ABS valves, which is normally done in the shop with a special scan tool designed to issue special commands directly to the vehicle's surplus technogeekery. Got...
  5. 1

Eliminating RFID on ignition key?

Sorry, I'm really not sure what "box" you mean to refer to. By "hacking", I assume you mean actually reprogramming the ECM? I think that's what a friend of mine had to have done so that a '99 Mustang Cobra engine could use its stock ECM without having to be physically plugged into the...
  6. 1

A mod video reminded me that my dealership wanted to replace my fuel filter at some insane price (about $200 IIRC - silly me didn't take a copy of the over $2000.00 in random bits they recommended that day). So far, I have not been able to discover that replacement fuel filters for my car even...
  7. 1

OEM rubber mats for 2012-2015 mazda5

Um .... so do you still have these or not? (scratch)
  8. 1

Not sure what you mean ... sounds like adding rather than removing technology? I currently have the RFID bit of the key fob zip tied inside the ring part of the transceiver (at least, that's what it was called in YT videos), and had a normal cheapo key made up at the hardware store. So far...
  9. 1

Brakes Servicing - recommended?

Might depend on where you live and what the "cleaning" includes. Where I live they spread salt constantly all winter, and I just replaced my front hubs at 60k miles because the rotors were rusted in place permanently when I tried to remove them for turning. Having removed the rotors, wire...
  10. 1

Mushy brake pedal

This is interesting. I've noticed a slightly mushy brake pedal on our '12 "5", and I assumed that new brake hoses might be in order even though brake feel is generally just like new after my brake job last week. My dealership had recently recommended a brake fluid flush, which I thought...
  11. 1

Turns out removing the lock cylinder is just like an old Ford, only the pin is on the top. Experiment is underway!
  12. 1

Took a look inside the steering column cover. Seems the RFID duties are handled by an extra module located directly underneath the ignition lock and connected to the car with a tiny 4-pin connector. It connects physically via a ring that goes around the ignition lock cylinder. So, it looks...
  13. 1

Mazda5 Repair Manual

Cool. These docs look as easy to use as Haynes manuals! (yes) Finding specs on Alldata = (bang)
  14. 1

Ugh. Really? Hey, good news - I hadn't realized you could get the balljoint separately. Did you use a regular balljoint C clamp press like this one...
  15. 1

On the other hand, we don't have scorpions or giant cockroaches. :-D (though maybe that's more Arizona than California?) A nearby yard has hubs and spindles, they'll sell me the package for $100 total. Score! Now I mostly just have to buy rotors and axle nuts new. It's funny, I used to...
  16. 1

Ugh! Thought I would finally get around to servicing my brakes today. Thought total cost would be $137 for the eight new pads I already bought from the dealer parts department plus $60 to $75 for turning rotors, and that the biggest time investment would be removing and cleaning the calipers...
  17. 1

Beating a dead horse: 15" wheels on Mazda5

Before: Trying too hard to be a sports car, twitchy handling, nasty thuds over our local roads, getting tire blisters about every 5000 miles. After: More-normal modern car, but most people won't notice any difference. That's kind of fun, somehow. I'm really enjoying the handling, actually -...
  18. 1

OEM rubber mats for 2012-2015 mazda5

What are you looking to get for them?
  19. 1

19 Mazda 6 wheels

Maybe this will help: https://www.wheel-size.com/size/mazda/mazda6/2019/ https://www.wheel-size.com/size/mazda/mazda5/2012/ So if a 18x7.5" wheel with 50mm offset is recommended for a "5", the '19 19x7.5 with 45mm offset should just sit 5mm farther outboard. (thumb) (pics)
  20. 1

Since my family now has two postmodern-era vehicles ('12 5T and '16 3iS), my keyring is getting ridiculous with not one but two giant remote controls dangling from it. Seems like time for an intervention. For the "5", I can get an ignition key with RFID from the hardware store for about $75...