Search results

1. M

2015 Build Thread

Car is awesome! Put away for the winter. Put probably 400 miles on it this year!
  2. M

Project: "Last RX-7" by Herblenny

Thanks again for updating the thread! I love following your progress!
  3. M

2015 Build Thread

Shouldn’t be that big of an issue without welding the pinion shaft, you’ll just have some side to side “slop” in the steering wheel before it actually does anything. Welding it ensures that the steering feel is very precise and direct.
  4. M

2015 Build Thread

the rack de-powering was covered earlier in this thread.
  5. M

2015 Build Thread

With the turbo oil feed taken care of, I decided to see what I could do with the drain side. I wasn't totally happy with the first one I came up with, and this build is about every little detail. "Good enough" isn't in my vocabulary. Rather than the two 90* fittings and the straight drop out...
  6. M

2015 Build Thread

Only the best fluids for this build. I wasn't sure if I'd have enough of the Ate SuperBlue, so I picked up a can of Wilwood Hi-Temp racing just in case. The SuperBlue has been outlawed in Canada and is impossible to find. I know there is a lot of literature out there on running an oil...
  7. M

2015 Build Thread

All vacuum lines were replaced with high temp Turbosmart silicone lines. They are thick-walled and guaranteed not to collapse or balloon under high boost or vacuum conditions. Next task was to figure out some sort of coolant overflow. I found an aluminum can down at Mopac, but the...
  8. M

2015 Build Thread

As you'll see later, I actually ended up swapping out this 45* fitting on the turbo oil feed for a 90*. But, pics of it installed anyways, along with some other misc. engine accessories fitted. As I got to work on the oil drain line, it's short length combined with how low the turbo sits...
  9. M

2015 Build Thread

With the turbine housing back, I could reassemble and clock the turbo with all new gaskets: With what felt like some mad tetris skills, I got all the components in place, mounted up, and torqued to spec. The turbo just clears the block. I doubt its possible to go any bigger than this...
  10. M

2015 Build Thread

With the cooling system finished, I could send the exhaust out for ceramic coating. First, the manifold was planed flat to remove any warp and ensure a good seal. While the exhaust was out at Top Gun coatings getting a nice coat of titanium ceramic, I turned my attention to the turbo. It...
  11. M

2015 Build Thread

You are correct. Haven’t driven it, and won’t until next year. Fired it up in the garage and revved it up a bit to check for leaks. Neighbours all gathered around when I hit the anti lag. Sorry everyone for not being on top of updating the thread. Have had way too much shit going on lately but...
  12. M

2015 Build Thread

Well, after almost 5 years, it’s alive again. I have hundreds of pics to post and lots of work to do in this thread once im back home.
  13. M

2015 Build Thread

As part of the MP3 parts car I snagged, I had a pewter/black Nardi wheel that looked like shit. I cleaned it up, and decided I'd try my hand at dying the leather back to the stock color. Prep is EVERYTHING. I was able to find leather dye at a local craft shop, and the "pewter" color was a...
  14. M

2015 Build Thread

With the fittings welded up, I could focus on building the line. Since it's so damned expensive, I made sure to measure twice and cut once. Pleased with the results. While it doesn't stand out, that's exactly the point. Looks like it's supposed to be there. As you can see, plenty of clearance at...
  15. M

2015 Build Thread

With the exhaust system finished, I could focus my attention on finishing the cooling system. I played around with a number of ideas for weeks before finally deciding on what's pictured. Because I had to flip the thermostat housing upside down to make room for the downpipe, and could no longer...
  16. M

2015 Build Thread

Not yet. Expect some updates soon. The final pieces are coming together!
  17. M

2015 Build Thread

Those iON springs were in my opinion, the best ever made for the protege. I spent quite a while doing R&D in the design process back in the day as I was sponsored by them before they went under. No reason to go to coilovers.
  18. M

2015 Build Thread

Rather than ruin the muffler by moving the hangar mount, I elected to move the mount on the chassis of the car itself. After taking measurements, the stock mount was removed, the frame ground flush, and re-welded on in the correct place. Some "rocker guard" was applied to ensure that it would...
  19. M

2015 Build Thread

Well, after a long ass winter with the car in hibernation, it's time for a long overdue update! If you remember, the Corksport 80mm exhaust for the Mazdaspeed sedan needed the final muffler section to be modified. Here we can see it compared to the P5 specific unit for comparison: With 4"...
  20. M

2015 Build Thread

Will get back on this hard after the new year.