2.5T CX-5 Piggyback

I do find it a bit odd that Berger is developing their tuner for the Mazda3 rather than for the CX-5. Mazda NA sells more than four CX-5s for every Mazda3 they sell, so there is a much smaller pool of potential JB4 customers there. (Perhaps there are fives times more Mazda3 owners who would buy the tuner than there are CX-5 owners who would do so.)

The Mazda3 does use a slightly different engine than the CX-5 does so other models may need a different tune. It’s power curve is also slightly different than the CX-5’s so the results may not be exactly comparable.

We have a 19 GT reserve and leased a 21 cx9 GT. The cx9 feels like it pulls harder and revs out longer than the cx5 🤦🏻‍♂️

We have a 19 GT reserve and leased a 21 cx9 GT. The cx9 feels like it pulls harder and revs out longer than the cx5 🤦🏻‍♂️

Same fuel in both? With the 2.5T, the engine pulls hard until about 4k RPM if you are fueling with regular (87 octane). If you're fueling with premium (93 octane), the engine will continue to pull hard past 5k RPM.

lnhikclimujpbhr9d9t7.png

*graphic compares 87 vs 93 on the earlier version of the 2.5T with 310 ft-lb of torque.

The '21s also have a bit more torque (320 vs 310), and probably different shift logic. That could contribute to the difference in driving feel.

87 in the CX-9 and 93 in the CX-5...CX-9 still feels like it pulls harder.

JB4 Beta is now in stock!

I wanted to see if a CX-9 option was available, but I can't register to the forum to ask (contacted webmaster) and when I do a search on the store website, there are no results for Mazda.

Well I feel like a dummy.. I was looking at the wrong website LOL

@Terry@BMS would the CX-5 units also be compatible with the CX-9? I have a 2018 CX-9 with the 310tq engine.

I signed up for the email notifications, hopefully I'll be better prepared for the next run!

Terry hasn’t posted here for six months, not sure if he ever monitors this forum considering all the different cars he supplies - there must be dozens and dozens of enthusiast forums. Best to ask him on his site.

Terry hasn’t posted here for six months, not sure if he ever monitors this forum considering all the different cars he supplies - there must be dozens and dozens of enthusiast forums. Best to ask him on his site.
Good point about all the various makes and models they cover...That said, BMS is currently an Authorized Vendor on Mazdas247. I would post for updates in the thread Terry started as well...

Remember, you can use our @ notification system as @sm1ke has above in addition to our Conversation/PM feature to contact @Terry@BMS directly...Let's try and get Terry back on these Forums posting updates once again! 😁

Thanks for the suggestion. Shortly after I posted, I signed up on n54tech.com and asked him there, and got a response:

We expect so but keep in mind it's BETA at this point. On the CX version we've not added MAF control yet. It doesn't appear we need it but we won't know for sure until we get more data in from various users. If we do end up adding it or any other changes they will be provided free of charge to all BETA customers of course.

I think if more units become available, I may bite the bullet.

I got an email on Sunday night about it. Only thing I’m not excited about was they had it for $479.99 presale and now it bumped up! I don’t want to spend the extra $50 on the jb4 if I still have to pay $140 for the wirelsss kit!

I think the wireless kit is optional. It lets you use your iPhone or Android phone's Bluetooth connection to switch maps via the paid mobile app, which is an extra $31. So in total you'd be paying $171 extra for the convenience. I'd go with this option if you think you'd be changing maps often (i.e. if your wife/kid/friend uses the car and you want to revert to a less aggressive tune quickly and easily).

Otherwise you'd buy the $35 BMS data cable for a wired connection to your Windows laptop.

I think the wireless kit is optional. It lets you use your iPhone or Android phone's Bluetooth connection to switch maps via the paid mobile app, which is an extra $31. So in total you'd be paying $171 extra for the convenience. I'd go with this option if you think you'd be changing maps often (i.e. if your wife/kid/friend uses the car and you want to revert to a less aggressive tune quickly and easily).

Otherwise you'd buy the $35 BMS data cable for a wired connection to your Windows laptop.
If I didn’t have to buy a windows laptop, I’d be in. Maybe a cheapy would work.

If I didn’t have to buy a windows laptop, I’d be in. Maybe a cheapy would work.

I wonder if you could use something like a Surface Go tablet instead of a laptop. Those are as low as $500 I think.

Alternatively, if you have a MacBook or iMac, I think you can use something called Boot Camp Assistant to run Windows 10 on your machine - see here. The nice thing about this option is that it's free!

Hey guys, sorry I'm just not able to monitor every forum out there. We do sponsor here and can post but I'd encourage anyone with specific questions for us to email or use the n54tech Mazda thread that we do monitor regularly.

I got an email on Sunday night about it. Only thing I’m not excited about was they had it for $479.99 presale and now it bumped up! I don’t want to spend the extra $50 on the jb4 if I still have to pay $140 for the wirelsss kit!

The wireless kit and app is $169, data cable and free windows software $35. Just depends how you want to run it. 90% of our customers also buy the wireless kit.

Well, if you live in Cali you may want to re-think getting a tune…although I’m not certain how a piggyback would show up.

3699A1A7-0D27-4C52-B455-8DB7A3B60D07.png

Back