bwalt's MSP build log

Disassembled all four coil connectors and low and behold, 2 pins with failed crimps! The wire was snug but if you lightly tugged while holding the pin it would move slightly. Heat and vibrations would definitely cause the connection to break.

Luckily I had some spares left over to replace them with. Went over all remaining pins and re-crimped for good measure. Went for a long drive after and the issue is resolved.

IMG_5614.JPG

No, it just didn't make it into the pics. Using the one included with the Perrin kit which bolts to the same location but is designed to accommodate the larger core.

With racing being canceled this year thanks to the 'covid response' I had to get some fun in before the weather turns. Got some new tires and took the MSP on it's longest trip yet.. Drove a little over 1400 kilometres past Wells Gray Park and back. I was hoping to see some epic mountain views but everywhere was smokey from the fires down south which then turned to rain. Weather aside, the highway was so smooth and such a blast to drive, car ran great and handled amazingly.

IMG_5721.JPG

IMG_5724.JPG

IMG_5725.JPG

That's awesome man. Mine's just kind of sitting at the moment. Always occupied with other things or cars lol :cry:

It was a rewarding feeling to have the car perform so well after all these years and countless hours spent making everything work. Fuel mileage has been exceptional as well averaging about 600km per tank!

Dang dude this is a serious build, jelly a bit. Love all quality and attention to detail. I’ll need to read everything to help me with mine.

It's January and I'm still driving the MSP.... winter's been rather mild this year so far.

Changed oil today and emptied the catch can. Looks like it's doing a great job keeping the vapors and sludge out of the intake.

IMG_5961.JPG

IMG_5960.JPG

Last edited:
Haven't done much to the protege other than driving and racing the last couple years.

Pulled transmission last month due to bearing noise and after opening the case, found 2nd gear close to catastrophically failing.

The oil journal on the pinion shaft for 2nd gear has worn enough that the gear sprocket sits crooked when loaded. Nice wear patch shows how much the teeth are pulling apart under load. Glad I caught it now before it blew apart.

Attachments

• IMG_20230527_103628615.jpg
    IMG_20230527_103628615.jpg
    108.4 KB · Views: 47
By any chance you known where I can get one of those intake manifold? I know they’re very rare but I’m sure some are floating around .

Back