What have you done to your CX-5 today?

yes, I asked them a TON of questions about this SRI. Synopsis:

-Heat of under-hood air doesn't matter, functionally.
-A/F trims are not a problem, the ECU can tune for this by itself, no tune needed, and no lean/rich condition vs. stock exists.
-The added power is because of less restrictive airflow and more airflow, not like some older cars that were tuned pig rich and the freed up intake simply leaned them out and was a "ghetto tune". This car tunes for itself, and the power gains are purely from increased airflow.
-It should bolt right in for the CX5. It did gain a legit 8-12whp on the dyno, no "tricks" used like tightening the straps or any BS.

I am waiting on trap-speed increases in the vehicles tested, and if provided, it will be interesting. I project 1-1.5mph increase, which is legit.
This is good to hear. I’ve been thinking about this for a while. The one thing that has me hesitating is that the dyno graph shows a small decrease in the lower RPMs for the pull that had the highest top end. Would hate to lose anything down low on a daily driver.

Any thoughts on that?

This is good to hear. I’ve been thinking about this for a while. The one thing that has me hesitating is that the dyno graph shows a small decrease in the lower RPMs for the pull that had the highest top end. Would hate to lose anything down low on a daily driver.

Any thoughts on that?
Yeah, it's part if the mess of trying to dyno an automatic. They said to discount below about 2800rpm due to wierd anomalies like that. I've seen tons of graphs and watched HPE tune cars back in the day, and it's a real thing with autos, not a bs excuse on their part.

Yeah, it's part if the mess of trying to dyno an automatic. They said to discount below about 2800rpm due to wierd anomalies like that. I've seen tons of graphs and watched HPE tune cars back in the day, and it's a real thing with autos, not a bs excuse on their part.
Interesting. I only have experience with manuals on a dyno. Is it related to the converter not locking? It’s a pretty significant drop.

Looking forward to hearing your review once you have it installed. It will likely influence if I go for it or not.

I’ve also had my eye on the mufflers and tips. I’m just concerned it might be too loud. I want some increase in sound, but really want the bigger tips. $600 + tax is also a bit steep for me for 2 resonators and tips. Quality does look excellent though.

Interesting. I only have experience with manuals on a dyno. Is it related to the converter not locking? It’s a pretty significant drop.

Looking forward to hearing your review once you have it installed. It will likely influence if I go for it or not.

I’ve also had my eye on the mufflers and tips. I’m just concerned it might be too loud. I want some increase in sound, but really want the bigger tips. $600 + tax is also a bit steep for me for 2 resonators and tips. Quality does look excellent though.
Will do. It's a complex thing that I never bothered to understand to be honest. I just know it's a thing, have seen it before, and know they arent trying to pull a fast one.

I think the intake will do significantly more for this vehicle, power wise than a cbe, and I like quiet on long road trips. Cbe is not for me. Reactive exhaust is the only way to go, IME.

Hit 18 psi and so did my oil pressure 🥴

Attachments

• 20200406_150737.jpg
    20200406_150737.jpg
    624.1 KB · Views: 206
had been hearing some clicking and thought it was my axle; rear shock is blown

...and this is why I won't be messing with the suspension, ROFL!

Seriously though, you have had a lot of issues with the CX5. It does kindof give me pause regarding the reliability of them.

The CAI will likely filter even better than OEM. This is because of the weak seal between gasket and intake box. Pictured below is the result of that, note where I have dragged my finger to remove dust. yes, it was all 100% clamped properly.

The CAI uses T-bolt clamps, and the AEM Dryflow is rated at 99.4% cumulative efficiency down to 1 micron. I honestly feel like I've done the car a solid by installing this, after seeing the below.

Attachments

• 20200407_034252 (1).jpg
    20200407_034252 (1).jpg
    888.7 KB · Views: 179
  • 20200407_034229.jpg
    20200407_034229.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 182
  • 20200407_034323.jpg
    20200407_034323.jpg
    871.1 KB · Views: 188
Last edited:
Man, it all hits at the same time for you, doesn't it?
Didn't you have a slew of concurrent issues a while ago?

And I meant to ask you about that oil pressure gauge. I understand that the pressure sensors in these cars are High/Low and not a linear thing (meaning I can not monitor pressure just by installing an aftermarket gauge or via the OBD port.) Did you install your sending unit in a separate port in the engine? I would think you couldn't replace the existing one and expect the factory gauges/lights, computer, etc to function properly.

Man, it all hits at the same time for you, doesn't it?
Didn't you have a slew of concurrent issues a while ago?

And I meant to ask you about that oil pressure gauge. I understand that the pressure sensors in these cars are High/Low and not a linear thing (meaning I can not monitor pressure just by installing an aftermarket gauge or via the OBD port.) Did you install your sending unit in a separate port in the engine? I would think you couldn't replace the existing one and expect the factory gauges/lights, computer, etc to function properly.
Oil sandwhich plate and sender into that

Seriously though, you have had a lot of issues with the CX5. It does kindof give me pause regarding the reliability of them.

The CAI will likely filter even better than OEM. This is because of the weak seal between gasket and intake box. Pictured below is the result of that, note where I have dragged my finger to remove dust. yes, it was all 100% clamped properly.

The CAI uses T-bolt clamps, and the AEM Dryflow is rated at 99.4% cumulative efficiency down to 1 micron. I honestly feel like I've done the car a solid by installing this, after seeing the below.
Still worth it. I'd be more sad if I had a failed stock strut. at least this this one wa shigh mile at full hard the whole time.

Ordered a new adjustable damper for $95. Will probably replace the other one when times are better

That happens to the cocksport I take too. You can get a little hydrophobic cover from ebay that will also help keep larger debris (leaf fragments bugs) from getting stuck in the pleats.

Like this, available different sized.

Ordered a new adjustable damper for $95. Will probably replace the other one when times are better

That happens to the cocksport I take too. You can get a little hydrophobic cover from ebay that will also help keep larger debris (leaf fragments bugs) from getting stuck in the pleats.

Like this, available different sized.

I don't have one of those intakes. Nor would I think it would like to be hydrophobic, if I did.

Back