Mazda6 Turbo Short Ram Intake

That*s right, it*s time to start making more power on the SkyActiv 2.5T. We are proud to introduce the CorkSport Power Series Short Ram Intake for 2018+ Mazda 6 equipped with the 2.5 Turbo Engine. We replaced the restrictive factory airbox with a free-flowing intake system that was designed to help your turbo breathe significantly * Continue reading "Mazda 6 Turbo Short Ram Intake"

mazda-6-short-ram-intake-polished.JPG

Please click here for the full article and if you wish, you can post your comments in this thread. Thank you!

Last edited by a moderator:
Video embedded:

Looks and sounds good guys. Quick question: On the website and throughout the video, it is stated that the intake is for the Mazda 6 2.5T. However, in the YouTube video title, it says "2018+ Mazda 6 / 2016+ Mazda CX-9 2.5T Skyactiv". Can you confirm that this will also fit on the Gen 2 Mazda CX-9?

Also, regarding bolt-on mods and tuning, you recently posted a blog entry dealing with tuning options. Of course, that entry was with regard to the Speed3 and Speed6, but I assume it would also apply to any car with a factory turbo. If I were to install the short ram intake and a catback exhaust together, would it cause any CELs? What would you recommend for tuning software?

I don't own a turbo SkyActiv Mazda... yet, though I do own a MS3 with your intake on it, but just a suggestion... Take it to the next level Corksport and make a beautiful heat shield for it. Whether it be a carbon fiber or a transparent one, I think it would go well with Mazda trying to their cars more luxurious.

Will it fit gen 2 CX-5 diesel?

We don't have the deisel model in North America to try. The intake is based of the Skyactiv Mazda 6 diesel intake we made for Mazda USA when they raced the cars at the 25hours of thunderhill so I have a feeling it will but we cannot guarantee it.

-Derrick

This has been out for a while, now. Has it ever caused a CEL or any other condition for concern (chronic lean/rich condition, etc.)?

I've had it on my CX-9 for about 10 months now. Its seen +40c all the way through to -50c and there have been zero issues. This is just one data point, but as far as I know, nobody has reported any issues with the intake (though it seems that not many on this board have it installed).

I've had it on my CX-9 for about 10 months now. Its seen +40c all the way through to -50c and there have been zero issues. This is just one data point, but as far as I know, nobody has reported any issues with the intake (though it seems that not many on this board have it installed).
Excellent. Mine arrives in a couple of days, and I look forward to it. I am estimating it's worth 1-1.5mph trap speed, with no negative aspects, I have verified by reading the whole damn contract that it will NOT void or compromise my extended vehicle warranty (oddly a catback would void the entire contract...), and so I decided to buy it.

I got and installed mine, today. The fit, finish, and quality are all excellent. Equal to and better than OEM in many ways. Instructions were simple, accurate, and complete.

The sound difference is immediate. It's actually pretty aggressive with the radio off. With the radio on, it likely won't be noticed at normal radio volumes. I like it. It kindof brings you back to a "boy racer" moment, but then you can EASILY drown it out with normal radio volume. It's really aggressive for a vehicle in this class, IMO. Again, I like it. The Corksport video is "clean" due to lack of wind noise, but I'd not call it an over-exaggeration.

I filmed 0-80 runs and then used 20-80 as the comparison, counting frame by frame. The reason I did this was to eliminate any slight traction on take-off, wheel-slip, or making sure I got the roll-out accounted for or any of that BS.

-9.2 seconds from 20-80 using 91 octane and OEM airbox.
-9.14 seconds 20-80 using 93 octane and OEM airbox.
-9.28 20-80 using 87 octane and OEM airbox.
-9.12 20-80 using 91 octane and CorkSport.

Using this method, it does seem to have given what is most likely 8-12whp.

We "know" that 93 octane vs. 87 octane = 23bhp, and we can see a 0.14 second difference here. We also note a 0.06 second difference between 91 and 93 octane. Something I had not noted before, using other calculation methods that were less precise (0-...) due to the above factors mentioned. We notice a 0.08 second difference between 91 and OEM airbox and 91 and Corksport. This is roughly half, give/take the difference of 87 and 93 octane, which jives with Corksports rating of 8-12whp.

In short, I feel like I got EXACTLY what was advertised, to the letter.

One thing I will note, Corksport states one should use Loctite on the screws holding the bracket to the MAF housing. I strongly recommend formula 243, because it contains its own primer, and you are joining stainless to aluminum, anodized. These are typically a non-reactive juncture. Formula 241 is very sub-optimal, here. You can also use Vibratite VC3.

Based on the materials and thread sizes involved. I used 40 in-lb of toque to secure the bracket to the MAF housing, and 15 in-lb of torque to secure the MAF sensor to the housing.

You will need both a 3 and 5 millimeter Allen wrench, annoyingly.

Last edited:
Is there a kit for my non turbo 2017 Mazda 6?

Yep, looks like there is.

CorkSport advertises an approximate gain of 6hp and provides a dyno graph as well. There is a video that shows how the engine noise changes when the car is revved while in Neutral/Park.

It also looks like they sell a "Cold Air Box" for the intake separately.

Yep, looks like there is.

CorkSport advertises an approximate gain of 6hp and provides a dyno graph as well. There is a video that shows how the engine noise changes when the car is revved while in Neutral/Park.

It also looks like they sell a "Cold Air Box" for the intake separately.
After driving for 30 minues, the bolts on the clamps holding the filter in place were still cold/cool, and felt around ambient temp...

Mine will be delivered Monday!

Any concerns with water considering the filter is now fully exposed? Chris posted a filter cover in another thread. Wonder if it’s worth getting something like that.

I drive in all kinds of conditions- rain, snow sleet, mud.

Mine will be delivered Monday!

Any concerns with water considering the filter is now fully exposed? Chris posted a filter cover in another thread. Wonder if it’s worth getting something like that.

I drive in all kinds of conditions- rain, snow sleet, mud.
I plan on getting the cover as well, mainly for leaves. I am not concerned with water getting into it. You gotta take into account that the engine and turbo can probably deal with any amount of moisture short of submersion. I doubt whatever droplets MIGHT get past the pleating/fuzz/filtration would even register.

If I remember correctly, your in MB, how has your km/100l been since you got this?

If I remember correctly, your in MB, how has your km/100l been since you got this?

Yes, that's right, I'm in MB. My L/100km currently is as follows, to the best of my recollection:

In summer, with AC on: 11.5-13.5
In summer, with AC off: 9.5-11.5
In winter, with heater/seat heater/steering wheel heater on: 13-14.5
In winter, with heater only: 12.5-13.5

I have the display set up to show me the mileage for the current trip upon vehicle shutdown. I fuel using Shell 91 "V-Power" only. This is based on an average of 40km per day, mostly driving to work and back home. I would consider myself slightly more aggressive than the average driver around here, but I don't stomp on it everywhere I go. I also have the Sprint Booster installed (usually set to "Race 7"), and 22x10.5 wheels with 285/35 tires that happen to be a few pounds lighter than the OEM 20x8.5 and 255/50 tires. I think the mileage difference between summer and winter is due to the gas stations switching between summer and winter blends, and to a lesser degree, the slightly heavier winter wheel and tire setup.

After adding the intake, there was a very slight improvement in mileage, but nothing significant. Maybe 0.1-0.2 improvement? In my experience of course, YMMV.

Back