Heard a rumor that Mazda is developing an inline 6 turbo

Avoidin Deer

Zoom Zoom, baby
Contributor
:
Central Virginia
:
2019 CX-5 Reserve
My dealership's sales guy told me that he heard that Mazda is developing an inline 6 turbo for a new RX/sport coupe. Lexus is also supposed to be utilizing Mazda's platform for their RC and IS models in the future.

So he heard...

That rumor has been around for almost a year. Will be part of their "large" architecture vehicles. It will be a Sky-Active X Inline 6 as well.
Is that right? I wondered.

I've read folks pine for an inline 6 in a Mazda sedan, but heard nothing about it being a "maybe reality" with a turbo.

Interesting that it's going to be a Skyactive-X.

The north American market may not be aware of this - but.., here's hoping (and praying) Mazda has bought the rights to re-produce the Ford Australia designed and built "Barra" inline 6cyl turbo motor. It is one of the best 6 cylinder engines produced in the last decade. The motor is so good they are converting anything and everything with a "Barra". Even Nissans and Supras that came with RB or JZ motors are being converted!!

A full street legal, modified Ford BA Falcon recorded a incredible 2000+HP at the wheels during the most recent Summernats meet (Australia's #1 annual meet for modified vehicles). Factory fitted, it punches out 436HP! That certainly should get the Mazda6 mooovin'!! Mildly modified cars are doing a easy 9-10 second quarter mile.

Please Mazda, PLEASE!! 🙏

Last edited:
My dealership's sales guy told me that he heard that Mazda is developing an inline 6 turbo for a new RX/sport coupe. Lexus is also supposed to be utilizing Mazda's platform for their RC and IS models in the future.

So he heard...

Very interesting...I’ve been hearing about this inline6 from Mazda as well...If this Lexus rumor is true then our conversation regarding higher-spec / higher-performance Mazdas may be timely. Certainly a new flagship performance model would be great, if that means it’s the next gen 6...Awesome, bring it on!

If this new inline6 engine is tuner friendly as well, even better! :love:(y)

The north American market may not be aware of this - but..
I was wrong. You 'mericans do know about this gem. And have been importing these engines to the states for a couple of years now.

A story on a 'Barra' converted RX-7 in the states.

Just out of curiosity, how many US/Canada folks on this Mazda forum have heard about these engines? Like if you have.

Last edited:
I seem to recall reading about Ford “Utes” (back in the day) in Australia that came with a Turbo 6...Is this the same engine you’re talking about..? Could Mazda be working on a Skyactiv equivalent?

Ford Falcon Ute I think...Are they still produced?

The "Barra Turbo" was produced by Ford Australia from July 2002 – 26 September 2016. Was fitted to the Falcon sedans and utes depending on model spec.

Ford Australia is no more - as the doors were closed and all vehicle production seized in October of 2016.

The Wiki link I attached to post # 4 provides more details.

To add, Ford Australia was designing the then soon to be released (in 2008) FG Falcon in left hand drive. Mainly for the US market. Ford USA, after some consultation, decided they weren't interested. Probably because Ford USA did not want to be shown up by the Australians. Jealous even :p
So jealous, Ford HQ in USA decided to end Australian production of Ford vehicles.

Here's an American's review of the car that USA missed out on.

Same guy reviewing the same car, but a slightly modified version.

Anyways, I highly doubt Mazda are doing (or will do) anything even close to the "Barra" in terms of a inline 6. But I can live in hope.

Last edited:
I can't believe they would resurrect the "Falcon" brand.

Brings to mind oil-burning flat head 6 sedans...which the above definitely are not.

A Mazda6 Inline 6 Coupe in the works?

Have to admit, I'm not fan of the current (Gen 3) M6 shape. The front end is just all wrong for me. Grill is too large and the shape is just whack. I can see why sales haven't been as high as expected.

Hope they bring back the 5 door hatchback. Deleting the 5 door hatch for Gen 3 was a huge mistake. The hatchback was the most popular model since it was introduced to the 626 range in the early 80's.

Last edited:
Starting to feel like a drum beat lol...

Inline-6, More Power, New 6 with RWD

More Power? More Performance? More Upmarket? Bring it on, Mazda!

Hope they bring back the 5 door hatchback. Deleting the 5 door hatch for Gen 3 was a huge mistake. The hatchback was the most popular model since it was introduced to the 626 range in the early 80's.
Interesting point about the hatchback, I've noticed other makes with current sedan-based models that are either hatchbacks or have the shape of one so it's definitely in demand (it would seem).

I like the idea of mazda going with a straight 6 and a new 6 is in the works, in all shapes coupe, sedan, wagon. It will be good for the brand. Seen some articles saying theyre targeting BMW, well BMW and Benz have been going at it for a while now and seeing as I work for Benz its kind of getting too techy and over done. Hopefully Mazda can still keep it simple.

I love my GJ Diesel wagon. Maybe something to trade in when the new ones come out.

Also bring on the next rotary Brap Brap Brap

The last Mazda6 Hatch was the GH2 in 2012. The hatchback was available pretty much everywhere around the world except North America (I think). Mazda's decision to scrap the hatchback when the GJ was release in 2013 was a big mistake. The GH M6 was a very decent car (in petrol form at least) - and not a bad looking 5 door either. And the boot (trunk) is HUGE. When the rear seats are laid flat, there's huge space!

Mazda has had a hatchback for the M6 since the early 80's when it was the 626. And they seriously need to bring it back. But going on the photos of the Vision Coupe concept, and it's glass roof, I highly doubt the 5 door Mazda6 will be back. What a shame.

The photos below are of a 2012 GH2 Mazda6 Luxury Sport Hatchback. The last M6 hatchback to be made.

49b5d4f4-75fb-4c42-acff-6e87eafac8fe-xlg.jpg

f95b4f2d-98c4-417d-bf16-2b5ae149fe2b-xlg.jpg

e7ecd16b-6dbe-4a85-98f6-0d51a615391a-xlg.jpg

9ae12ca1-cf24-4ee4-a99d-7ed3e777b325-xlg.jpg

More room in a wagon though. The amount of luggage space will be a sales point. Like look how many moving boxes i can fit in the damn thing. Ended up with 9 in there plus room for other loose items

Theres so much room for activities. Also wagons are much cooler than a hatch. Hatches are suited to more eco sporty city cars. The 6 is not a small city car.

Attachments

• 20191005_125649.jpg
    20191005_125649.jpg
    225.1 KB · Views: 187
Latest news suggests there will NOT be an inline 6 RWD Mazda6. The idea has been canned!! :eek:

So no RWD Mazda6. No hatchback Mazda6. And no two door RWD coupe Mazda-something.

Mazda, you are now the most BORING Japanese manufacturer on the planet. You have lost your spirit and soul. Looks like it's the end of the road for me and Mazda.

Last edited:
Still trying to find out more details on this inline 6 for the CX-70. Cylinder Deactivation? Turbo? Suspence is killing me! :)

Latest news suggests there will NOT be an inline 6 RWD Mazda6. The idea has been canned!! :eek:

So no RWD Mazda6. No hatchback Mazda6. And no two door RWD coupe Mazda-something.

Mazda, you are now the most BORING Japanese manufacturer on the planet. You have lost your spirit and soul. Looks like it's the end of the road for me and Mazda.

I don't know if I would jump to that conclusion already. To me, it just sounds like they've shelved it for now, while they focus on the market that's keeping them going (SUVs).

I don't know if I would jump to that conclusion already. To me, it just sounds like they've shelved it for now, while they focus on the market that's keeping them going (SUVs).

I second to that. While they are technically true, there will never be a new generation of Mazda 6 my gut tells me that we are going to see a large sedan/coupe (will call it MX-9 ;) ), somewhere around 2024 IF it is going to happen.

The SUV timeframe that they pushed out for NA, was CX-90 towards this end of the year with 2023 for the CX-70, so they're hands are pretty much full taking into consideration they're small RD team.

They're investment into a large RWD/AWD sedan based on they're large platform somewhere in 2024, will be minimal, as it will be different sheet metal and some adjustments but they will not need to develop anything from the scratch so I would think it will be worth it.

All of us who were waiting for something like this from Mazda are highly disappointed by this but I wouldn't loose my hope.

Back